Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Interesting (maybe) pub conversation

Was chatting with a guy in the pub last night that enjoys a bike, has commuted, and lived in London (seeing various standards of cyclist).

He made a point about cyclist filtering down the left of vehicles with stickers stating "do not pass on the left hand side" and how they were insane...

A few thoughts crossed my mind, though I often avoid such a manouvere. Firstly, can I get a sticker for my bike asking people not to pass? Secondly, if a driver of vehicle cannot see an object on its left, should they be allowed to overtake?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

fenix | 6 years ago
1 like

Depends on the situation.

Going down the side of a big lorry that will have blind spots with a possible left turn ahead - could be fatal.

No left turns - less risk.

brooksby replied to fenix | 6 years ago
3 likes

fenix wrote:

Depends on the situation. Going down the side of a big lorry that will have blind spots with a possible left turn ahead - could be fatal. No left turns - less risk.

I wonder if we could do that, here in the UK? Ban left turns completely for all motor vehicles in the interests of road safety (since they've admitted that they can't see properly to be able to do so). I mean: if it saves just one life, right?  3

Beecho | 6 years ago
2 likes

It ain’t what you do it’s the way that you do it.

Stratman | 6 years ago
2 likes

I too tend to avoid filtering on the left and try to pass on the right where I can.

Like Sergius, I get irritated by drivers not leaving a gap, especially when they are behind a right turner, and pull over to the left - which makes no difference to them, but blocks the road for anyone in a bike.

Bluebug replied to Stratman | 6 years ago
1 like
Stratman wrote:

I too tend to avoid filtering on the left and try to pass on the right where I can.

Like Sergius, I get irritated by drivers not leaving a gap, especially when they are behind a right turner, and pull over to the left - which makes no difference to them, but blocks the road for anyone in a bike.

The reason they do it is because they don't realise the road isn't wide enough for them to move forward until the other car has turned. I didn't realise some people don't have the perception/sense of the width of their vehicle until I guy I worked with made a strange comment about using the central white line to keep his vehicle in the right place!

Then again some people are just stupid. There are roads near me with advanced stop lines and cars enter them at red lights near the central white line to turn right. They don't realise that buses turn left into those roads and the bus drivers, due to it being not a rare occurrence, now act as they are going to crash into the car. I've only seen a cyclist put themselves in the way on one of them once and he was able to move instantly unlike the car drivers.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

A couple of pint of Jaipur and o could well have been Davel!

davel | 6 years ago
3 likes

I don't remember this conversation we had last night, alan/other me....? Must've been a big one.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
6 likes

So, a road user puts a sticker on their vehicle in complete contradiction to what is permissable and those that carry on their daily business are insane.

Time to get a "Trucks don't overtake me." jersey made. It''ll be their fault then, and no mistake.

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
2 likes

I cyclo-commute in London. The major risk of filtering on the left of any vehicle as I see it is if there is a pavement barrier or similar on your left against which the vehicle can crush you. Second is the risk at junctions of the vehicle turning left across you, or another vehicle turning right from the other direction across you. Otherwise it’s generally ok.

sergius | 6 years ago
3 likes

For me, it depends what sort of vehicle it is.

I won't filter past a lorry/bus on the left - it's not a question of right/wrong - it's just dangerous.

For cars though, I'll filter past them any damn way I please. 

I'd also go as far as making it an offense to not leave room on the left for bikes to filter (how many times have I had prats overtake, only to stop 20 seconds later leaving no room for me to pass on the inside).  Hell I'd also ban SUVs and all those other vehicles which are needlessly wide.  Shame I'm not in charge eh?

Bluebug replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

For me, it depends what sort of vehicle it is.

I won't filter past a lorry/bus on the left - it's not a question of right/wrong - it's just dangerous.

For cars though, I'll filter past them any damn way I please. 

I'd also go as far as making it an offense to not leave room on the left for bikes to filter (how many times have I had prats overtake, only to stop 20 seconds later leaving no room for me to pass on the inside).  Hell I'd also ban SUVs and all those other vehicles which are needlessly wide.  Shame I'm not in charge eh?

I purposely don't leave room on the left for cyclists to filter down if I'm at a junction with a left turn and driving.

Sorry but I don't want to see a student or someone in their twenties squashed by the vehicle in front of me that is indicating left because that driver didn't look left before turning.

Then again I don't put myself in that position on a bike and I have no problem telling drivers to foxtrot oscar if they are upset because I've taken the lane at a junction rather than risk getting squashed on the poorly designed cycle path.

If I'm not at a junction I don't care which way bikes filter. In fact I get pissed of by bikes that don't use their advantage and filter but I've noticed it is normally moped riders who have an issue doing it.

Oh and modern cars are wider than old ones due to safety features that include things like pedestrian protection zones so even the modern mini doesn't fit into most old garages.

Latest Comments