Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Big kit advice

I'm about to return yet another batch of jerseys to Wiggle - thank God they do free returns. I've worked my way through a selection of Dhb, Ale, Stolen Goat, Sportful, Morvelo and Castelli and probably a couple of others I've forgotten. I have tried Cycology too.
Trouble is at 95kg with a 46" (116 cm) chest and 37" (95 cm) waist and being around 6'4" (193cm) they all come up very tight/too small. Though I do have to admit that my Castelli Perfetto in 3Xl is a good fit. But not much comes in that size so the choice is limited.
Bear in mind that this time last year I was much fatter/heavier. I am now getting down to my fighting weight and without drastic surgery my chest isn't going to get any smaller. I've been trying to find other brands that may fit my size so has anyone got any suggestions - I'm looking for some short sleeved jerseys and some long sleeved jerseys.
Strange that most xxl bib shorts fit - Ale being my go to shorts - shame the tops are just too small.
Thanks to all for any help...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

DeeJayJay | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried the non Pro Team Rapha kit? I have fairly simular sizing to you, 38" waist and a 44" chest. I go for the xxl bib shorts and an xl jersey. The xxl jersey should be good for a 46" chest. Pop in to a store and try it. 

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

Try Endura kit - that seems to come up huge. I'm normally a medium in most things, but even their small is big on me.

jacknorell | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pearl Izumi and other US brands might do better for tall and mighty sizes.

Not surprised most European brands come up small given your upper body measurements.

Clyde_S_Dale | 6 years ago
0 likes

aerotech:

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4KbqmMfI2AIVSbbACh1PQ...

They are based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA so shipping would probably take some time if they ship to UK at all.  I bought one size 4x vest from them and it is very well made.

mikeymustard | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fat Lad will certainly fit your width, not sure about height but Richard the owner is a tall chap so they must have a jersey to fit you, give them a call. Prendas should fit you fine width-wise again. Both very nice quality clothing.

If you want to pay less then Funkier and Tenn outdoors do stuff for big and tall guys. Both brands' jerseys and bibs are ridiculously long on me so they should fit you.

JE James often have bigger sizes than other shops, worth a look.

Podc | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at the Fat Lad at the Back stuff? I've no experience of their products but they do larger sizes.

Richbeck | 6 years ago
0 likes

X2 for Prendas - Drop them a line and they will help you with sizing. Delivery is amazing - so fast it almost arrives yesterday!

kma55 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Does it have to be cycling specific gear?

Personally I like to wear t-shirts made from sweat wicking material, I find them more comfortable, they're a fraction of the price, and I prefer the look. The choice in sizing should be far bigger, anything from skintight compression tops to baggy as you like. Should be plenty to choose from in sports shops, mountain warehouse stuff is decent value as well.

If you're going for the full cyclist look then it might not be the best option. 

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

SteveAustin - can't find any cannonball kit - is it made by someone else?
Kil0ran and Bendip - I've looked at the Prendas sizing and I can get the chest but the length suggests they may be far too long. Suppose I could take a punt on the nearest correct chest size and take it from there.

Damn, if I'd only decided to stick with sports or interests where the clothing didn't have to be so tight/small. And I don't mean any offence to anyone there that it does fit - just a frustration as I believe many pros are tall but them being pros they won't mind skin tight.

bendip | 6 years ago
0 likes

i'm a fair lump..my castelli stuff is xxl or xxxl..my morvelo tops fit when i'm 10/15 pounds lighter in the summer, the prendas jerseys i've got are excellent and as others mention go to bigger sizes mine are 4xl and i wear them year round because they can accomodate a few pounds extra without me looking too much like a bursting sausage.. they are terrific folk to deal with too.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Prendas  - most of their Santini jerseys go up to 8X which is a 52" chest. Epic customer service too.

Or Fat Lad at the Back.

SteveAustin | 6 years ago
0 likes

ive had some decent riding gear from cannondale, that fitted me fine, even managed to reach my wrists even with my gibbon like arms.

avoid anything italian, it will be too small.

Latest Comments