Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Shed tips

Looking to buy a bike shed as my girlfriend is fed up of the 3 bikes living in the front room and taking up too much space.

I'm aware of the Asguard steel sheds, but I was wondering what alternatives there are and anything to look out for when looking around.

I recently saw a facebook ad for some rather nice looking timber sheds, but I now can't get back to the link.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Greasenipple | 6 years ago
0 likes

When I moved into the current abode It had no garage but I needed something and went for Yardmaster steel job from Argos (sale at the time made it a bargain) as it was to last me I went nuts with a cement base for it to be bolted and sealed to, then as they tend to sweat in cold weather I battened it out insulated it then boarded it, a floor was put down on battens then paint / varnish added to finish. Its been up 8 or 9 years and still looks like new. As I said I went the whole hog doing most of it myself to save £'s even a sparky friend did mates rates for the power and lighting. With kids in the house I spend most free time in there.

ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

Good luck with your quest.  I am lucky that my better half "accepts" my bicycle habit, even though my commute at the moment is filthy and a lot of the dried slop piles up on the newspspers.

My tip concerns more of your normal garden shed, they get damp and any tools left in the shed will rot a bit too quick.

ClubSmed | 6 years ago
1 like

I couldn't find anything that suited me exactly so I picked up a cheap timber shed second hand from Gumtree and adapted it. I have upgraded it with butterfly stands and D-Rings bolted to the floor and walls with security screws. This means that the bikes are anchored in three points and if a thief decided to remove a bike they would have to pretty much destroy the shed to do so which should make enough noise to alert me. I also replaced all the hinge screws with security screws, no point in having a lock on the door if the door can easily be removed. I did also buy a more secure metal bar to go across the front door too, but decided not to fit it as the tatty unassuming exterior works in my favour I think.

Kendalred | 6 years ago
0 likes

Happy(ish) Asgard customer too - although be aware that the delivery time will be measured in weeks rather than days. Plus the advertised free UK delivery is VERY limited - I live in south Cumbria, not that far away from them in Bradford, and I had to pay about £30. The free delivery areas are very random. I also had issues with delivery due to instructions not being passed to the drivers delivering the flat-pack sections.

It's a good unit though, very sturdy and the door looks bombproof - the only real issue is that the one I have (the two-bike locker type) does not have a 'floor' to it, it just stands on the flags in the back yard, and therefore when it rains heavily it will seep under the unit and make the interior of the unit damp.

I did have a good wooden shed in my old house, which had a floor and that seemed 'dryer' inside - but obviously not as secure as an Asgard. This was from a company called 'Tiger Sheds'.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

As per the above, if you literally want to chuck 3 bikes in it then a metal one will be more economical and probably sufficient. I went the whole hog and got one to suit future needs and as Dave says can be a room for the turbo etc.

I got mine as an ex-display so saved a fortune and also it was mostly built  1

DaveE128 | 6 years ago
0 likes

It might be worth considering whether you want something big enough to function as a workshop, turbo training room etc, if you have space and the budget.

An alarm is also worth considering.

nniff | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you have bikes in a shed outside, you need one of these, although I still haven't seen them on sale yet:

https://www.eta.co.uk/2016/05/11/bike-mine-worlds-loudest-bicycle-alarm/

hughw | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tip on screwfix, that's quite a saving on buying direct, and it appears it gets delivered by Asguard anyway.

For anyone else's reference, the wood ones I was thinking of were: https://www.thebikeshedcompany.com 

They are a bit nicer looking but a lot more expensive, especially once you've paid for the shed to be painted and built (although I hope you can do either of these yourself if you want)

4 likes

So long as it remains locked from the outside I'm pretty safe  1

15 likes

I went timber with double doors on the front, think it's about 8 foot by 6 foot.

Easily fits all the kit my wife needed, single bed, dressing table, loo etc. and my bikes are now more than happy sharing the house with me...

Grahamd replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

alansmurphy wrote:

I went timber with double doors on the front, think it's about 8 foot by 6 foot.

Easily fits all the kit my wife needed, single bed, dressing table, loo etc. and my bikes are now more than happy sharing the house with me...

Imagine you’re not unduly concerned about locks and security with this solution.

Canyon48 replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Sounds like a sensible solution.

BobbyG | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought an Asgard about a year ago.  As much as I researched, I just couldn't see past it, and I've been really impressed with it.

My tip is to get it from ScrewFix who appear to sell them cheaper than Asgard themselves.

ConcordeCX replied to BobbyG | 6 years ago
0 likes

BobbyG wrote:

I bought an Asgard about a year ago.  As much as I researched, I just couldn't see past it, and I've been really impressed with it.

My tip is to get it from ScrewFix who appear to sell them cheaper than Asgard themselves.

I have one of these too. Highly recommend.

Latest Comments