Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour de Yorkshire extended from 2018

I'm sure it's a Good Thing that both the men's race and the women's are be be given an extra date, but I had thought the fourth day of the men's would have been the Monday, given that it takes place on a Bank Holiday weekend.  It seems the extra day for the blokes will be a on a Thursday. 

The Friday always felt to me to be the Cinderella day when a lot of people who might have lined the route would be at work.  The crowds were, naturally, bigger at the weekend.  I wonder if enough towns/cities in Yorkshire will want to lay out £100,000 or so for a few seconds of relatively poorly-attended scenes in a highlights programme on the night.  Just saying...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/sep/21/tour-de-yorkshire-cycling-...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

fustuarium | 6 years ago
0 likes

I imagine that they wanted Monday but couldn't get it for some reason. Road closure issues, UCI calendar, other events etc. Or just that the cost of police overtime on a Bank Holiday would make it prohibitively expensive. Not on the same level, but apparently that's why they don't have bonfire night etc on a Sunday here any more because of wage bills on a weekend.

Latest Comments