Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What on earth has happened to your website?

My browser just keeps jumping to some crappy video on the side of the page constantly interrputing what i'm doing/ reading. It's done it 3 or 4 times whilst I've been typing this.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Still doing it- really, really annoying.  Making it virtually impossible to use the site.  Surely you will lose ad revenue at this rate on the basis no one will visit the site before long!

Doesnt seem to happen to anyone elses websites...

StantheVoice | 6 years ago
7 likes

Sorry everyone. Please be assured, we actually have a policy that we don't run autoplay vids and so these ads are via agencies finding ways round our policing of ads. You can tell the ad servers not to deliver these ads but it's impossible to do it 100% of the time - that's just a fact of life. There's an ad complaints link in the admin panel at the bottom of the home page (we ran a story about it to let people know) specifically set up for you to report these annoying ads to us. We can't respond to each query all the time I'm afraid but we do act on them. 

Thanks for bearing with us.

crazy-legs | 6 years ago
1 like

It's almost unuseable. Even on a hardwired superfast connection rather than wifi or 4G, it takes forever to load a page as ads keep bouncing the content around.

Autoplay video ads, gifs and flashing banner ads are the work of the devil. I know the site needs to earn money but this just makes me close the page down. I'd rather have a system like Singletrack where you can pay for a Premier account which kills the vast majority of ads while also allowing extra access to content - more detailed reviews with videos, extra blogs etc.

Kendalred | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I clicked away from road.cc yesterday for that reason alone. I'm sure ads aren't meant to piss people off - not really the point of them.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ditto here. The autoplay video ads are destroying the site  2

rkemb replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Ditto here. The autoplay video ads are destroying the <strike>site</strike>internet  2

Get <i>Disable HTML5 Autoplay</i> (other plugins may be available for other browsers).

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Me too, it makes some articles and threads a waste of time on my phone.

Goldfever4 | 6 years ago
1 like

Yeah I've noticed a new one in the last couple of days on my mobile browser. Using adblock on the computer blocks the shit on my main device at least.

I'd rather pay money to road.cc to support the website than put up with this ad shit at the moment  2

Latest Comments