Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paint chip touch up - colour chart

At the weekend I dropped my daughters bike and it has left it with a few small chips.  She isn't actually that bothered about it, but I would like to touch them up.

Internet says to get a RAL colour chart to get the correct colour of paint.  These seem rather expensive, especially if you want one that covers a wide range of colours.

I've looked at mobile apps to see if there is one, but then I don't trust them to work with white balance of the screen.

Any other thoughts/ideas?  I would like to get it as close as possible to the correct colour.  The bike isn't bad enough, and the bike isn't worth enough, to pay someone to sort the chips out.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

Take it in to Halfords and compare it to the colours of the car paints there.

Failing that, contact the bike manufacturer and ask what colour paint it is. Some manufacturers e.g. Spesh used to supply their dealers with touch-up paint.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Agree with Flying Scott on this one. If you're not too bothered about aesthetics, you can even use clear nail varnish to protect chips and stop any water getting in.

Flying Scot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Buy a cheap set of different coloured nail varnish for a fiver, the colour or one near it you can mix is usually works out. 

Latest Comments