Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which Gravel Bike on Bike To Work Scheme?

Any suggesions on good gravel / cyclocross bikes that be bought via the bike to work scheme?

Thanks in advance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Wafty Crank | 7 years ago
0 likes

Don't have one but it's top of my list at the moment - Dolan RDX (up to 35mm tyres, full guards, 105, hydraulic discs)

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

Pinnacle Arkose
Genesis CdA
Holdsworth Stelvio (or is it Elan? Forget which one is the big clearance frame)
Giant Revolt if you can stomach the looks

kieren_lon | 7 years ago
1 like

Alpkit sonder Camino bikes look pretty awesome. Available in 105 or rival with hydraulic discs. Built for gravel / bikepacking

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

I also got a Pinnacle 3 (but 2015 model) that was reduced around this time of year to £850.
Great bike, I love the Kenda tyres and still run them in the winter. I have some Vittoria Hyper on Fulcrum 5s that I run in the summer. I also changed the crank to 105 but apart from that it's still pretty much the same and I still love it!

rdmp2 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Boardman CX Team?

VonPinkhoffen replied to rdmp2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

rdmp2 wrote:

Boardman CX Team?

+1 for the boardman, had mine just under 18 months, done Ride100, DunRun and another ~2,500 km on top of mixed Road and gravel/singletrack. Only thing I've swapped out is the saddle. It'll even fit 45c tyres (just) if you want to go all-out!

Pressfit BB is the worst thing about it, I'm thinking about getting one of those Praxxis conversion jobs to stop the very slight click that has developed in the last 200km or so.

paulrattew replied to VonPinkhoffen | 7 years ago
0 likes

VonPinkhoffen wrote:

rdmp2 wrote:

Boardman CX Team?

+1 for the boardman, had mine just under 18 months, done Ride100, DunRun and another ~2,500 km on top of mixed Road and gravel/singletrack. Only thing I've swapped out is the saddle. It'll even fit 45c tyres (just) if you want to go all-out!

Pressfit BB is the worst thing about it, I'm thinking about getting one of those Praxxis conversion jobs to stop the very slight click that has developed in the last 200km or so.

The Praxis bottom bracket thing works really well. I've got one on my GT Grade (Carbon 105, so out of the ride to work scheme price limit). It came as standard on the bike which just makes me wonder why they didn't just go for a proper screw-fit bottom bracket.

Hope also do a similar thing which also works really well - got one of those on my main road bike (boardman sls disc 9.8). Press fit bottom brackets are awful so I'm really happy there are kits that get round the problem. Next time I buy a bike (not for many years if my wife has anything to do with it) I'll do my best to avoid anything press-fit

riotgibbon replied to rdmp2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

rdmp2 wrote:

Boardman CX Team?

yep, done 4k miles on mine since december. My LBS couldn't get me a CX bike my size and budget, so I ended using the vouchers in Halfords on the Boardman. Once they started talking to me again, it was the general agreement that it was A Lot Of Bike for the money. I commute about 35-40 miles . day, with a substantial dodgy canal section, and it's great. 

gonedownhill | 7 years ago
0 likes

Orro Terra looks good, 105 and TRP Spyres. 

tugglesthegreat | 7 years ago
2 likes

I went for the Pinnacle Arkose 3 2016, it was reduced at the end of the year to £900. 

My MTB had hydrolic discs and I wanted the same on the gravel bike and it has 105 11 speed. Nothing in that price range was coming close to that spec.

So far it is holding up well but I have changed a few things...

The handle bars just felt wrong and too narrow and too deep on the drop, I'm now on fsa compact 44 cm on the medium Pinnacle.  The saddle got changed to a leather SM Regal.  The tyres I hated kenda small block 8, but some people seem to love them!

I've done a few cyclocross races on it and commute to work, done over 3k miles. 

It's probably not the best but was the best I could afford and it's doing the job and I like it.

Thanks

T

Latest Comments