Home

I thought we were done with these after the Tour but no, they're back for La Vuelta highlights

 

Does anybody else get annoyed with these?

18 comments

Avatar
MartyMcCann [285 posts] 11 months ago
4 likes

"Fred, we can't work out how to actually shoot this in slow motion, so if you could move like an arthtiric greyhound then we should get away with it..."

Avatar
CygnusX1 [848 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes

Watch the highlights on Eurosport, not ITV4 - problem solved

Avatar
CygnusX1 [848 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes

Anyone noticed the Heineken ad where the drive train magically starts on the right side of the bike, jumps to the left side and then back again?

Avatar
don simon [2327 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes

Which is the advert where they're walking the bike wearing cleatless cycling shoes?

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [713 posts] 11 months ago
1 like
don simon wrote:

Which is the advert where they're walking the bike wearing cleatless cycling shoes?

Ah... But if Heineken made cleats they'd be the... Oh hang on...

Avatar
arckuk [86 posts] 11 months ago
5 likes

It's cringeworthy. They managed to find the lowest-spec bike they could - it looks like Sora or Claris - nothing against those, but it's an ad targeted at bike enthusiasts. Then they stuck middle-aged-non-action-man on top and got him to cycle at less than 5 mph on a terrible piece of tarmac. The equivalent would be to show someone with a fancy watch getting into their Nissan Micra and pulling out of a side road into a traffic jam before coverage of the F1!

Avatar
psling [289 posts] 11 months ago
2 likes

The irony of an advertisement for something to measure time provoking a reaction from people who really do need to be reminded that life is too short...

Avatar
beezus fufoon [972 posts] 11 months ago
1 like
CygnusX1 wrote:

Watch the highlights on Eurosport, not ITV4 - problem solved

except that the eurosport adverts are almost all featuring imbeciles talking (or singing dodgy opera) about cars, car insurance, or selling cars!

Avatar
Yorkshire wallet [2058 posts] 11 months ago
3 likes
beezus fufoon wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

Watch the highlights on Eurosport, not ITV4 - problem solved

except that the eurosport adverts are almost all featuring imbeciles talking (or singing dodgy opera) about cars, car insurance, or selling cars!

Did you not know that Eurosport is an adverts channel that plays sport in the breaks?

Avatar
Simon E [3338 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes

Adverts are supposed to be memorable, therefore they they are likely to be annoying. But they are a necessary part of bringing content to your screen.

Perhaps you could consciously try to see it for what it is and be a bit less annoyed by incredibly insignificant things like a telly advert. You could mute it or walk out of the room for 3 minutes. Or maybe ask yourself whether there is something else that is really bothering you. This happens to virtually everyone, I have found myself getting annoyed about something really trivial but what was really bothering me was something else entirely.

Avatar
jasecd [523 posts] 11 months ago
2 likes
Simon E wrote:

Perhaps you could consciously try to see it for what it is and be a bit less annoyed by incredibly insignificant things like a telly advert. 

 

Well, it's relative - I'm not screaming at TV, just surprised at how bad and cheaply made they are.

It seems like they have identified their target market has large numbers of cycling fans so all they need to do is spend a couple of hundred quid on some extremely poorly shot idents of a guy rolling around on an entry level bike. 

Also I would watch on Eurosport but I only subscribe during the classics and the giro, when I can't get cycling anywhere else.

Avatar
NJA [48 posts] 11 months ago
4 likes

I thought that they were terrible, but then I saw the Alpecin advert on Eurosport with the shouty guy on the team bus. 

Now that is an all time low.

Avatar
dottigirl [819 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
NJA wrote:

I thought that they were terrible, but then I saw the Alpecin advert on Eurosport with the shouty guy on the team bus. 

Now that is an all time low.

Yep. That one makes me cringe, and scramble for the remote to FF asap.
I ignore the Watchfinder ads, they don't bother me.

Avatar
gonedownhill [193 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
NJA wrote:

I thought that they were terrible, but then I saw the Alpecin advert on Eurosport with the shouty guy on the team bus. 

Now that is an all time low.

 

They really are focussing on their hair above all, that's why they've got absolutely bobbins results this year!

Avatar
fenix [1002 posts] 11 months ago
3 likes
NJA wrote:

I thought that they were terrible, but then I saw the Alpecin advert on Eurosport with the shouty guy on the team bus. 

Now that is an all time low.

I enjoy the alpecin advert !

The watch one is crap but if you were wearing a 10000 pound watch you'd probably be going easy too..
Also explains why he can't afford a better bike.

They've thought about this.

Avatar
jollygoodvelo [1715 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:
beezus fufoon wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

Watch the highlights on Eurosport, not ITV4 - problem solved

except that the eurosport adverts are almost all featuring imbeciles talking (or singing dodgy opera) about cars, car insurance, or selling cars!

Did you not know that Eurosport is an adverts channel that plays sport in the breaks?

Don't forget the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv adverts.

Avatar
don simon [2327 posts] 11 months ago
0 likes
jollygoodvelo wrote:
Yorkshire wallet wrote:
beezus fufoon wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:

Watch the highlights on Eurosport, not ITV4 - problem solved

except that the eurosport adverts are almost all featuring imbeciles talking (or singing dodgy opera) about cars, car insurance, or selling cars!

Did you not know that Eurosport is an adverts channel that plays sport in the breaks?

Don't forget the Jerusalem/Tel Aviv adverts.

Shir Elmaliach.

You're welcome.

Avatar
BarryBianchi [419 posts] 9 months ago
0 likes

I think the watchfinder ads are excellent.  Saves me going into Can'tphone Swearhouse to see what the sales staff are wearing.