Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Helmet camera

I have decided to buy a camera having once again been passed dangerously close.
I would be very grateful to receive opinions on cameras you use. Mine is simply going to be used for identifying dangerous driving.
Many thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

HurdyGurdy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Virb on a garmin dual mount on the handle bar and fly6. The Virb case can easily be adopted for longer journeys with a dremel to let you add a usb cable with a small battery pack on a velcro strap or bar mounted pouch.

Ok you do lose the water proof sealing but if you are mainly cycling, who cares.

Shades | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use a Drift Stealth 2 (helmet mounted).  I 'bodged' the goggle strap mount so it attaches via a velcro strap through the vents.  Not that 'rigidly mounted' if you're concerned about affecting the helmet performance in a crash.  Easily get an hours commute out of a battery charge.  Video quality at night isn't great.  Tried my GoPro but the battery doesn't last long enough.

Fly6 on the back; slightly cheesed-off as the battery has just packed up after 18mths-2yrs of use.  Probably just have to buy a new one.

RMurphy951 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Handlebar mounted Garmin VIRB. No way would I have one on my helmet, even a break-away one (and where would it breakaway to in case of an accident).

Treat it as your silent witness, to record rides, and as a handy videocam - don't bother with trying to report nasty stuff to the police,it isn't worth it. Don't keep "nastystuff" videos either, they are demoralising.

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't have a helmet mounted camera.

I got given a GoPro knock-off for my birthday a couple of years ago and bought a bar mount for it - sadly the battery life is rubbish (only about 30 mins), so doesn't even last my commute, let alone anything else.

I like the look of the Fly ones and may well get the rear one, but I'd like a more universal front one, so will keep an eye on this topic...

Sevenfold | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a handlbar mouned Garmin Virb & without the video evidence, the Police would have done nothing to the lady driver whp pulled out directly in front of me last December. Fortunate I was not seriously injured but the Police view 'it was just an accident' changed when I produced the vido  the driver was eventually sent on a driving course. This transers from bike-to-bike &I have a Fly 6 that  unfortunately only fits on one bike due to the length of seatpost needed (saddlebag gets  the way. The hit from behind is probably the one thing that most frightens me - pulling out in front doeat least give you a change to take avoidg action (I nearly made last December!) & a close pass despite how close does not involve contact. I have submitted a few really bad driving exampes to the local force but it des have to be really bad before I bother & hs been for driver who give me room to overtake but then nearly hit the car coming in the opposite direction.

Get a camera, just don't let it rule your life by uploading every single driving infraction you encounter. Use it for your own safety/security.

musicalmarc | 6 years ago
1 like

I use a Polaroid cube. It sticks to the helmet with a magnet so will likely detach in a major crash instead of embedding itself into my head.  The only bad behaviour I've reported is a pedestrian being assaulted by someone else so whether it makes you more likely to push an incident is entirely down to you and your predisposition to being some sort of enforcer of fairness and justice.  Personally if used for commuting don't spend lots of money. Winter use will reduce the batteries life and eventually you'll need to bin the device.

Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
1 like

Fly12 and Fly6

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like

I used to use a helmet-mounted cam, but it was a bit heavy and there's always the worry about whether it would cause injury in a crash, so now I use a Fly12 on the front and a Fly6 on the rear. I particularly like the circular storage they use, so you can leave them over-writing the oldest footage and just have to keep them charged up.

I actually found that when I started using a cam, I became a lot more conscious of how I was riding and I ended up becoming slightly more cautious and better at looking ahead and anticipating what the traffic was about to do.

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
1 like

Funny thing about cameras, and I did go through a phase of carrying one, is that they can make you more determined to push a situation.

If I did go back to carrying one then it would be rear view because that is really the only direction that you have a good excuse not to see them coming from. Something like a Fly 6 as it doubles as a rear light and has start and forget operation.

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
0 likes

I thought I smelled something dung like. Thought it was the local farmer muck spreading, but I think the above explains it.

Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
3 likes

Well after reading that I'm never putting my pump in my jersey pocket again and keeping anything harder than a banana out of it! Hopefully I won't get impaled on a badly placed cycle computer!

Cyclax Maximus replied to Yorkshire wallet | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Well after reading that I'm never putting my pump in my jersey pocket again and keeping anything harder than a banana out of it! Hopefully I won't get impaled on a badly placed cycle computer!

Good point. I carry, and I've seen countless others carry a pump in their rear jersey pockets.

Gels, energy bars and bananas from now on in the pocket. Will strap the pump to the frame with some velcro straps.

As for close passing? Well as long as I'm still upright after the useless twat has gone past, then that's all that matters really.

I know it's infuriating, and I can understand you fine fellows deciding a camera is the way to go. But me personally, I'd rather spend my money on something else. Use your phones instead if you can?!

It's not really a preventative measure either, and wearing a camera can dramatically change a drivers behaviour to you, especially when they know you're fiming them.

I normally let loose a volley of expletives as they pass. That does me...

froze | 6 years ago
0 likes

It seems most people use Go Pro cameras.   However I won't be buying one because I just don't care about motorists passing to close to me, it's not worth all the energy to get worked up over.  Besides there is a possiblity, howbeit slim, that you could have an accident and the cameral penetrates the helmet and your skull, or allowing your neck to rotate oddly and breaking it.  Sure it's a slim chance but let me share with you some slim chances that happened with people that I knew.  One guy was wearing a Walkman cassette player (yeah this goes back to those days), had a crash on his bike and the Walkman which was being worn on his side damaged his kidney so bad they had to remove it.  Another guy was carrying his pump in his jersey pocket had an accident and the pump damaged his disk and had to have fusion surgery.  Another guy wore a necklace with a cross on it, had an accident and the cross penetrated his neck just barely nicking his main artery causing no damage other than going to the hospital to have it removed leaving a nice bike related story scar.  Do these kind of freak things happen every day? doubtful, but putting something on my helmet seems like to me would be more risker than a Ipod attached to the side of me, a pump in my jersey pocket, or a cross around my neck causing harm since most accidents involve some sort of contact with the helmet.  No thanks, I wouldn't do it, but others will laugh at me and do it anyways which is fine, it's their head, and the chances are fairly slim something like that would happen.  

It's kind of like cars, car manufactures moved the key insert from the dash to the steering column (before they went to fobs) because in rare event a crash would impale the keys into the drivers knees, though it was a rare event they moved it anyways, thus it is with stuff on your body while riding, so though it's rare why increase the potential for serious injury.

There was a case where I live that a motorist hit a cyclist on a fairly quiet country road, killing the cyclist, the motorist stopped his vehicle and stoled the camera, got back into their vehicle and took off.  What makes this even more odder, someone else came by and stole the bike!  The bike theft was witnessed but the person that saw it happened was more concerned for the now dead cyclist then trying to get a plate number of the bike thief's truck.  So if a motorist has the wits and the time they can simply steal the camera and all your evidence goes poof.

kevvjj replied to froze | 6 years ago
5 likes

froze wrote:

It seems most people use Go Pro cameras.   However I won't be buying one because I just don't care about motorists passing to close to me, it's not worth all the energy to get worked up over.  Besides there is a possiblity, howbeit slim, that you could have an accident and the cameral penetrates the helmet and your skull, or allowing your neck to rotate oddly and breaking it.  Sure it's a slim chance but let me share with you some slim chances that happened with people that I knew.  One guy was wearing a Walkman cassette player (yeah this goes back to those days), had a crash on his bike and the Walkman which was being worn on his side damaged his kidney so bad they had to remove it.  Another guy was carrying his pump in his jersey pocket had an accident and the pump damaged his disk and had to have fusion surgery.  Another guy wore a necklace with a cross on it, had an accident and the cross penetrated his neck just barely nicking his main artery causing no damage other than going to the hospital to have it removed leaving a nice bike related story scar.  Do these kind of freak things happen every day? doubtful, but putting something on my helmet seems like to me would be more risker than a Ipod attached to the side of me, a pump in my jersey pocket, or a cross around my neck causing harm since most accidents involve some sort of contact with the helmet.  No thanks, I wouldn't do it, but others will laugh at me and do it anyways which is fine, it's their head, and the chances are fairly slim something like that would happen.  

It's kind of like cars, car manufactures moved the key insert from the dash to the steering column (before they went to fobs) because in rare event a crash would impale the keys into the drivers knees, though it was a rare event they moved it anyways, thus it is with stuff on your body while riding, so though it's rare why increase the potential for serious injury.

There was a case where I live that a motorist hit a cyclist on a fairly quiet country road, killing the cyclist, the motorist stopped his vehicle and stoled the camera, got back into their vehicle and took off.  What makes this even more odder, someone else came by and stole the bike!  The bike theft was witnessed but the person that saw it happened was more concerned for the now dead cyclist then trying to get a plate number of the bike thief's truck.  So if a motorist has the wits and the time they can simply steal the camera and all your evidence goes poof.

So, who witnessed the driver stealing the cyclist's camera?

This is the biggest load of bullshit I have read for a very long time.

Latest Comments