Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc mounted pannier confusion

Anyone know where I'm supposed to bolt the pannier ends for a disc brake pannier? The only hole I can find seems too small and for mudguards...

https://ibb.co/mqT9Sv

1 Dan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

nniff | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a standard rack on my disk brake commuter.  It took me ages to work out why I couldn't get the rear wheel back in after I'd taken it off - much struggling before I realised that the rack was a touch narrow and squeezed the rear triangle in a bit - just enough so that the wheel wouldn't go in.  I now have the knack of prising it open again to get the wheel in, before clamping it all up again with the skewer

ChasP | 7 years ago
0 likes

As above use the same holes for both. Make sure that the rack mount is against the frame though, the more you put in between (washers, mudguard stays) the weaker it will be. A standard rack will probably work better there than a disk specific one.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

I use rubber tap washers and a stainless washer between frame and eyelets for brackets. It provides protection, cushioning and pressure on the threads to resist undoing. You can also add thread lock

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
1 like

The disc specific racks tend to be slightly wider at the mounting points but beyond that, there isn't much material difference.

You can happily carry a fully laden non disc rack and a set of mudguards on one pair of bolts. Just slip some washers in between each interface and make sure everything is tight to properly spread and transfer the load.

My Boardman CX has been operating this way on commuter duty for three years. I've had all sorts of stuff on the back.

A quick check every few weeks or months is normally all you need do.

LancsDan | 7 years ago
0 likes

Frame is 58cm specialized dsw diverge 2017, it has the corrosponding bolts below the seatpost for panniers 

Animal72 replied to LancsDan | 7 years ago
0 likes

LancsDan wrote:

Frame is 58cm specialized dsw diverge 2017, it has the corrosponding bolts below the seatpost for panniers 

so, it seems they are pannier mounts. Educated guess would be M5 bolts. Plenty of info about as they seem to be a bugger to use with some racks...

LancsDan replied to Animal72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Animal72 wrote:

LancsDan wrote:

so, it seems they are pannier mounts. Educated guess would be M5 bolts. Plenty of info about as they seem to be a bugger to use with some racks...

That's what I first thought but they seemed too small to ultimately take the pressure of a fully loaded rack... and frankly, having ordered a new disc specific rack - there doesn't appear to be that much if any difference then between the two racks if is just the same mounts. 

LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
0 likes

If in doubt, you could use a rack like this one: http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/racks/rear-racks/ex-1-disc-rack.html

I've used that on my road bike, which doesn't have any rack mount holes.

You can also get a seat post clamp with built-in rack mount mount points if you don't have them on your frame - I didn't know that at the time and zip-tied it to the wishbone above the rear brake.

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
1 like

Do not mount them to your discs.

HTH

M

Animal72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sorry, didn't spot the picture link.

looks like you'll need to use P-clips. I guess you could risk using the mudguard mount, but I wouldn't as it won't be designed for the purpose...

DoctorFish | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yep, what frame?  Looks a bit like a Canyon, which I don't think often have pannier mounts.

Animal72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

What frame?

Latest Comments