Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stock DB Wheels Replacement Advice Please

Hey guys

I have a CAAD12 105 Disc that I want/ need/ would love to upgrade the wheels on. First I tried to get some Chinese deep (50mm) u-shaped rims built but after 6 weeks of messing around and inflating the priec (before finally telling me they had no hubs afterall), I have refunded my money from DengFu bikes. Thank the lord i used Paypal.

Anyway, now I'm slightly stuck. I don't know if i should buy some cheap replacements (thinking Fulcrum Racing 5 LG for about 255 pounds)... and then save up to buy better wheels for next spring and have a winter pair..  Or if I should just spend more to buy more medium priced wheels (DT Swiss R32 at 424 gbp, Campag Zonda at 475 or Mavic Ksyrium Elite at 500 pounds) which might leave me a bit tight.... but wondering if there would be much difference in quality? I have read the Fulcrums are good, but presuming the others are better wheels - but how much? Is it worth doubling the price?

I also noted the Mavic rear axel is 142mm, but my bike has 135mm... is that compatible, or not?

Thank you for any advice

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have actually just rediscovered a brand new set of Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels still in their box that I never got around to building for the other halfs bike. If you are interested I could do you a deal.

sergius | 6 years ago
1 like

"I also noted the Mavic rear axel is 142mm, but my bike has 135mm... is that compatible, or not?"

Definately not.  I replaced my DTSwiss R23 DB wheels with some 50mm Hunt ones.  I neglected to measure the rear axle being lazy and ordered a 142 mm thru-axle kit - turned out I needed a 135mm.

There was no way the 142mm would have fit without really bending the frame way beyond it's tolerences.

Most of the manufacturers will provide conversion kits to swap between various lengths and types of fitting though.

MarkOne replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

Most of the manufacturers will provide conversion kits to swap between various lengths and types of fitting though.

Yeah thanks I saw that.. But how could a conversion kit allow a bigger hub inside a smaller frame, unless it sits outside the hangers?

sergius replied to MarkOne | 6 years ago
0 likes

MarkOne wrote:
sergius wrote:

Yeah thanks I saw that.. But how could a conversion kit allow a bigger hub inside a smaller frame, unless it sits outside the hangers?

Ah i get what you mean, the hub itself doesn't change size, on my wheels it's just the axle length that you alter.  My Hunts are happily convertible into 135/142 QR/12mm/15mm by just swapping the axle out.  DTSwiss wheels/hubs are the same (not all conversions are possible to be fair, they publish a big table of what can be converted into what).

I'm going to swap my R23s from 15/12mm thru axles to QR for example - so I can put some cross tyres on them and use them on my new winter bike.

MarkOne replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

I'm going to swap my R23s from 15/12mm thru axles to QR for example - so I can put some cross tyres on them and use them on my new winter bike.

Ah I see.. Ok thanks a lot

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

I bought some Cosine Disc wheels from wiggle for less than £160. 1600 grams approx with Novatech hubs, I rate them - just seem impossible to find them in stock on wiggle!

MarkOne replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I looked at those before, not bad at all for the price.

wellsprop wrote:

... just seem impossible to find them in stock on wiggle!

Everything I've looked at in wiggle recently is out of stock!

Canyon48 replied to MarkOne | 6 years ago
1 like

MarkOne wrote:

Yeah I looked at those before, not bad at all for the price.

wellsprop wrote:

... just seem impossible to find them in stock on wiggle!

Everything I've looked at in wiggle recently is out of stock!

I had to wait about 5 months before I saw sets were in stock, I promptly bought one set! I wasn't disappointed.

abusivemonk | 6 years ago
0 likes

Get some Hope tech 20five wheels. Should be around £400. They have adapters for all the different wheel standards. The rim is 20.5mm wide internally, and the weight isn't too bad at around 1650 grams. I've had some for the last year now with no issues. I've not even need to true them.

MarkOne replied to abusivemonk | 6 years ago
0 likes
abusivemonk wrote:

Get some Hope tech 20five wheels...

Interesting, thanks.. On a road bike?

ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes

I upgraded the stock wheels on my Pinnacle Arkose 3 to a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 LG and I have been very happy. Though I have to caveat that as I also upgraded my cassette from 105 to ultegra and my tyres from Kenda Small Block 8 to Vittoria Hyper Voyager at the same time. So the improvement I am feeling could only be in small part due to the wheels themselves if at all. The hub is definately nicer sounding than the stock ones, I don't get any annoying clicks. As for comparison to more expensive sets I can't help you there I am afraid as have never owned any.

Sorry I wasn't really much help at all there was I?

MarkOne replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes
ClubSmed wrote:

Sorry I wasn't really much help at all there was I?

Haha, in a way, thanks!

Latest Comments