Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

You know you are an experienced cyclist when...

...you've eaten the Haribo before you check Wiggle sent you the right item.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

You just get out there and ride without worrying about gearing or anything as we could do it on a 5 speed (or Sturmey Archer 3 speed) back in the day (bring on the single speeders)...

SingleSpeed replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

don simon wrote:

You just get out there and ride without worrying about gearing or anything as we could do it on a 5 speed (or Sturmey Archer 3 speed) back in the day (bring on the single speeders)...

You do all of fred whitton on a 40-18 and come nowhere near last.

giff77 | 6 years ago
0 likes

When driving in an unfamiliar area you start working out gearing for climbs and lines for descents and how many miles you need to have warmed up before tackling said climb. 

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Your bike is much more expensive than your car and does many more miles!

CygnusX1 replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

When you don't bat an eye-lid when the LBS phones you to say that your bike service will cost twice as much as your car service did. (New wheelset, freehub, chainring, cables & guides etc..)

itaa replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
3 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

When you don't bat an eye-lid when the LBS phones you to say that your bike service will cost twice as much as your car service did. (New wheelset, freehub, chainring, cables & guides etc..)

LUL WUT??? why would you even let someone else touch your bike? It kills me to go to a garage to get something done to my car if I'm not able to do it myself.

BUT ON A BIKE?

Hand in your mancard already...

CygnusX1 replied to itaa | 6 years ago
2 likes
itaa wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

LUL WUT??? why would you even let someone else touch your bike? It kills me to go to a garage to get something done to my car if I'm not able to do it myself.

BUT ON A BIKE?

Hand in your mancard already...

1. Who says I'm a man with a man card to surrender?
2. I do plenty of maintenance on my bikes myself.
3. We don't all have the luxury of time to spend on maintenance, I do have the luxury of being able to afford to pay for someone else to do it.
4. I'm supporting my excellent independent LBS by having them do it.
5. Welcome to the site itaa, hopefully your subsequent posts will be more constructive than your first.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Your winter bike has Ultegra and mid section aero wheels.

Stratman | 6 years ago
1 like

You have dry socks with you on your commute, and stop to empty your shoes and change into them once the rain has stopped

shay cycles | 6 years ago
3 likes

When you no longer need a power meter, Strava, or GPS

CycleDivvy | 6 years ago
0 likes

...when you buy a powermeter - and understand what the data means!

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
1 like

...when you get up and your legs feel ok, so when you get on the bike you decide to push it, and after 30-40 minutes you realise you needed more recovery time before pushing it...

IanEdward | 6 years ago
5 likes

When you fundamentally disagree with about 95% of what the sales staff/mechanics tell you in the local shop (or is that also 'being an engineer'?

Stef Marazzi | 6 years ago
1 like

...when you start taking derailleurs to individual pieces to fix them.

ChrisB200SX replied to Stef Marazzi | 6 years ago
3 likes

cyclesteffer wrote:

...when you start taking derailleurs to individual pieces to fix them.

that just makes you an engineer  1

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
3 likes

When some one on a fixie does a track stand well beyond the stop line and you still leave him for dust. Or is that just me that gets great pleasure in leaving these people for dust. broken heart

Tjuice | 6 years ago
1 like

When you have managed to get n > s-1 at least once

torquerulesok replied to Tjuice | 6 years ago
1 like
Tjuice wrote:

When you realise that post s, n+1 can theoretically approach infinity, with the only constraint being n+1 must be less than your shed's capacity...

Goldfever4 replied to torquerulesok | 6 years ago
0 likes

torquerulesok wrote:
Tjuice wrote:

When you realise that post s, n+1 can theoretically approach infinity, with the only constraint being n+1 must be less than your shed's capacity...

I like what you've done there, s-1....

Tjuice | 6 years ago
3 likes

When you can remember how you managed rides before Strava

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
5 likes

when you know to get over yourself and just ride whatever bike you want where and when you want

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
3 likes

when you can't finish a sentence because you're out for a ri

MartyMcCann | 6 years ago
13 likes

...within a split second of reading an article title, you know it is going to spiral into yet another  helmet debate,  know exactly what points are going to be made and,  recognising the pointlessness of contributing to them, quickly click on another link instead.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
6 likes

When you realise your entire pub conversation is totally unintelligible to the average punter.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
3 likes

When you know all the fancy-shmancy names for bike parts, like those rubbery bits that go on your wheels.

Beatnik69 replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like

Spokey Dokeys?

Martyn_K | 6 years ago
15 likes

when you car is over 3 years old and has only 18k miles on it yet you have travelled 23k miles on your bike(s).

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
2 likes

... you use heart rate / cadence / power to assess your ride when we all know that speed wins!

rjfrussell | 6 years ago
4 likes

you realise that if you claim to be an experienced cyclist you're wrong

Mungecrundle | 6 years ago
5 likes

When nothing written on a cycling forum surprises you any more.

Pages

Latest Comments