Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BMC Roadmachine

Hi

Has anyone got any experience of the BMC Roadmachine?

It appears to be the blend of sportive bike / mudguard applicable year round machine I want. I commute (short though, only about 5 miles), club runs and sportives with the occasional triathlon thrown in. I therefore want something that is capable for all - and can only have one bike unfortunately. I am not a racer but the slightly more aggressive geometry compared to my current bike appeals.

All the reviews are glowing but at £3k for the Ultegra / £2.5k for 105 model trying to work out if worth it. Especially around the weight which seems high compared to competitors. Reviews such as below state the frame to be quite light, so where has all the weight come from?

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/bmc-roadmachine-rm01-ultegra-2017-road-bi...

So any thoughts / experience / knowledge on the build appreciated.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

MariaMartinez | 6 years ago
0 likes

is it on sale anywhere right now?

zedthegreat | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cheers all, useful. 

I went into Evans today and had a look at one of the 105 models. Lets just say it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm!

@JohnnyEnglish, good point on the paint. If I spend this money I want my bike to look good for some time. It's not a disposable item. But glad that you are enjoying it. Just the kind of feedback I wanted.

@part_robot - is the ultimate not quite a lot more racey in geometry?

I think I'll get a test ride and take it from there. It isn't the best value for money on paper, but if it rides as well as it looks (and others say) I am sure I won't fuss that much over 400g.

Finally for now, Evan sell the frameset online, but it is £3200!!

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmachine-rm01-2017-road-bike-frameset...

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have been looking at them for much the same reason (although I prefer the yellow of the di2 bike, just not the price).  However, I think they're a bit too expensive for what they are, plus they won't sell you a frameset (I'm a Campag person).

I've been looking at the Mason Definition and Trek Domane framesets instead, although to be honest I don't particularly like aluminium or Treks.

JohnnyEnglish replied to srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

However, I think they're a bit too expensive for what they are, plus they won't sell you a frameset (I'm a Campag person).

Four RM01 framesets now for sale as per BMC website, e.g. http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/bikes/road/endurance-roadmachine-0...

Grayduncs | 6 years ago
0 likes

The 105 version was on my shortlist (at the time there were strong financial incentives for shopping at Evans) but it always looked expensive compared to other options such as the Synapse.  I was also slightly wary about the D-shaped seat tube - if I ever had a problem with it could I find a replacement easily?   But the feedback was always that it's a good bike, it only really suffers in comparison to other options that are equally good and cheaper.

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

I should add (because I don't want the above to stand looking like it's a dis) that the one person I've met (in Evans) who's got one was so ecstatic about it I was pretty much convinced there and then. His remarks were the same as above and the reviews. It got dangerously close to an impulse test ride but I did what my girlfriend recommends when it comes to expensive bike stuff; go home and see how I feel about it after a week. I'd already had my heart set on something racey and super light so that's where I ultimately (no pun intended) put my cash but I do think you should at least give it a ride; my Synapse was much heavier than other bikes I tried back in 2015 but the ride quality was so good I was happy to compromise. Could well be the same here.

JohnnyEnglish | 6 years ago
0 likes

Long time lurker, but owner of said bike (RM02, 105) since September. First carbon bike after returning to biking after many years, so take these as the comments of a relative newcomer.

Test-rode 3 bikes - this, an RM01 and a Domane S5 in the rain. Instantly noted the extra effectiveness of the disc brakes compared to the Trek. RM01 felt a little more 'alive' but I put that down to the lighter wheels.

Feels lively, relatively comfortable and supremely stable. Never felt so confident riding down hills.  Comfortable on 3-4 hour rides but haven't gone longer. Steering is fast and responsive but not twitchy.

I guess the wheels could be a touch lighter but they're tough (Novatec customer support told me they were 15mm internal rim, tubeless compatible but weigh 2,100g). Only other gripe is the matt finish on the paintwork - hard to keep clean and will inevitably become shiny at some point if cleaning too enthusiatically. Also, scratches will be almost impossible to buff out.

Agree its expensive, but it's rekindled my love of biking. Hope this helps.

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pretty much all Evans have the 105 in stock so that might help. Looks pretty cool in person and very chunky/stiff and aero but the brick red is almost certainly a bugger to keep clean based on the marks on it in the shop.

The Ultegra 02 was right at the top of my list for a while until I came to my senses about the price; it's about £1000 more than you'd expect for the spec and, as you say, heavy. For reference my £3.5k self-built Canyon Ultimate CF SL is full Dura Ace Hydro and weighs (approx since I've not weighed the shifters yet) 7.1kg versus the 105 and Ultegra RM02's 8.8kg and 8.4kg respectively. It also is a relaxed-sport geometry so might be an option for you?

EDIT: ah, yeah... the price for my Canyon's actually a lot more than that. I forgot the Quark DZero carbon power meter crankset which I took from my other bike. Still, you'd be close to that weight and price with an Ultegra crankset.

stucky | 6 years ago
0 likes

bike radar has just reviewed it, if that helps  1

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/bmc-roadm...

Latest Comments