Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ideas for cycling break in October?

It's my 40th in October, and I'm not really wanting to be in the country. So, I'm looking at a week or so somewhere.

I have a few problems though:

- I have bad hips and travelling by plane is torture, so somewhere I can cycle/rail to would be best. I could maybe manage a short flight, but it would have to be v short.

- I'm budget-limited.

- It may be just me travelling solo, so no one to share hotel room bills with, etc.

- I don't want to have to pester anyone with fundraising.

- A bit of sun and wearing shorts rather than tights would be preferable.

I don't even have a passport atm - I haven't needed one since I last went abroad for my 35th.

A friend has suggested Avignon as I could get there by rail. I've also been following another friend cycling to Portugal and I would love to cycle there - having spent time in Lisbon and the Algarve, I can speak the language and find my way around, plus I love the food and wine.

I'd love to try Mallorca out, but I'm not sure how the hips would cope with the flying, and I'd have to pack my bike up properly or rent one.

Any ideas please?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

CycleDivvy | 6 years ago
0 likes

My vote's France - make it a cycle journey and just cycle your way down to the Pyrenees. be an adventure!

adamthekiwi | 6 years ago
0 likes

My wife and I are doing a week in the Pyrenees followed by a week in Asturias in July/August - our trip won't work for you (we're hiring a van and taking mountain and road bikes) but I'll happily report back on both the riding and the ferry journey (we're returning Santander-Portsmouth).

Have been to Asturias before (with the mountainbike) - it's properly stunning. We stayed (and are returning to) Las Arenas de Cabrales - mostly locally famous for its cider and cheese. The mountains in the Picos de Europa are stunning and pretty easy to access, as I remember...

dottigirl | 6 years ago
1 like

Some great ideas, thank you. So many places, so little money. Time isn't really a problem - I could happily wander around for a few weeks as long as I took something to do some writing on. Stealth camping appeals to my budget, but my body would probably object. How cheap does AirBNB get?

I'll have to compare prices  for ferries v rail to southern France/northern Spain, but that sounds like a good starting point. Weather patterns too. And rugby games.

The biggest decision would be whether to centre myself in one place and head out for rides from there (like I did five years ago in Italy - I stayed in Lucca and did several days of riding, using the train to get to some areas), find a supported tour, or do a bit of light touring. Or a combination.

Biggest problem would be finding a dogsitter for that long.  4

esayers | 6 years ago
0 likes

My partner and I did some of the Loire Valley last September on our bikes.  We got the ferry to Caen, then train down to Orlean and spent a few days cycling down the river.  There are train lines all along their as well if you need to bail for any reason and the Loire Valley route is well marked with mostly good quality cycle paths. There are plenty of AirBNB places in the towns along the river and there were some fantastic restaurants for the evening as well as a few patiseries for lunch/snacks/2nd breakfast.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

For Mallorca there's a Barcelona to Alcudia ferry, which drops you right at the foot of the rides out to Formentor and Lluc. Also lovely there in October - sea will still be plenty warm enough and weather usually calm. Eurostar to Avignon and then train to Barcelona?

Dnnnnnn replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

For Mallorca there's a Barcelona to Alcudia ferry, which drops you right at the foot of the rides out to Formentor and Lluc. Also lovely there in October - sea will still be plenty warm enough and weather usually calm. Eurostar to Avignon and then train to Barcelona?

Might be faster to go Paris-Barcelona (although there's the cross-Paris transfer): www.seat61.com/Paris-to-Barcelona-by-TGV-train.htm

For best routes anywhere to anywhere in Europe (if not fares/tickets), www.db.de is uber alles!

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

Good suggestions thus far, so just to add to those…

Night train from Paris-Venice, via Milan? A memorable ride in its own right!
www.seat61.com/thello-train-from-paris-to-italy.htm (seat61 is a very useful resource for all Euro-train info, including bike restrictions)

Not sure where you are but there’s lots of good riding, quiet roads, decent weather, pretty villages and scenery in south east England, e.g. the North Downs. Try the Isle of Wight for a couple of days if you want to go overseas!

For sociable, cheap and cycle-friendly digs… www.warmshowers.org (and also www.couchsurfing.org).

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like

How about the Channel Islands?  Not much in the way of hills, but pleasant country lanes and coastal routes.  You would be able to walk around or slouch/take up 2 seats on the ferry.

You could camp to keep costs down - I know at least one camp site on Jersey has pre-erected tents for hire, and being an island all your routes would be (roughly) circular. 

Look555 | 6 years ago
1 like

Ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao and then the San Sebastian way, or turn left and do the Basque country. If you like sea food this region is the best in the world, however it has the same issues as Ireland, as in you're at the mercy of whatever the Atlantic will throw at you...

Cyclax Maximus | 6 years ago
0 likes

As you mentioned Mallorca in your post, I gather your hips are the limiting step for you regarding flying. Could you wear a support  brace  or similar to help with your comfort?

I think you would thoroughly enjoy it if you went. To fly there takes about 2 and a bit hours. Would that be too long for you?

Renting a bike might save some hassle too. But then again  that depends how attached you are to your own bike.

Still, why you're thinking about it, why not renew your passport? At least it's there if you change your mind.

There's always the Isle of Man if all else fails... wink

dottigirl replied to Cyclax Maximus | 6 years ago
1 like

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

As you mentioned Mallorca in your post, I gather your hips are the limiting step for you regarding flying. Could you wear a support  brace  or similar to help with your comfort?

...To fly there takes about 2 and a bit hours. Would that be too long for you?

I have a sitting disability - I can't sit upright on a normal chair, so that's what rules out flying. No airline will let you recline for takeoff as it's a safety thing. Not without splashing out wads of cash for special seats, anyway. And due to it being a safety thing, the Equality Act doesn't apply either.

I can perch or 'slump' in a seat to take the pressure off my hips, but this causes pain elsewhere so it's not something I'd choose to do for more than ten minutes without moving. Over an hour would be pushing it, never mind two and a half. And getting to/from the gate is a bit of a problem too - without my bike, walking can be limited to less than 20m. And the mobility vehicle thingy requires me to sit...

Travelling by rail, I can lie across two seats, and by car I usually recline the seat to around 45 degrees, depending on how aggravated the pain is.

It's something I've learnt to live with and rebuilt my life around, and I've a pretty good idea of what I can and can't cope with. I'd love to go there, but in the light of day, I don't think flying for the sitting and walking aspects would be doable.

The Rake | 6 years ago
1 like

Ferry to Bilbao/Santander is really good and the cycling in the Basqu Country is great. I did this last year. As a bonus it is a French rugby heartland across the border with both Bayonne and Biarritz. I was based near Hasparren but got out to Jaizkibel, and over to St Jean Pied de Port, which is on the Camino way. Very lumpy.

arfa | 6 years ago
1 like

For choice, Avignon is a winner opening up Provence, Gorges due Verdun and Ventoux (if you really want to do something different).
Alternatively if the budget is too stretched, how about the Newhaven ferry to Dieppe (£28) and see where that takes you ? Paris is an option (for rugby) or you could pedal towards the Loire for scenery/win/food.
The roads are pretty quiet that side of France and the weather is usually ok then.

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

Vote for the Algarve over here also.. Portugal is lovely and pretty cheap if you can book the flights at the right time.

dottigirl | 6 years ago
0 likes

It occurred to me in the early hours that a ferry to Santander/Bilbao may be doable, and cycling from there to Portugal, or around northern Spain.

Also need to check if there's any rugby on in France, as adding in a rugby match or two could be fun.

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

Train it down to south of France (we drove down last year for my 40th). 

I don't think you can go too wrong in France. It's got mountains, good weather (south), isn't too far away, easy to get to via train/ferry/bus/plane... oh and cheese, lots of cheese and bread, all you need really. 

Htc | 6 years ago
0 likes

Avignon is excellent, a couple of years ago I rode out of Avignon for 3 days then down to Montpellier and rode another 3 days out of there for a change of scenery. Easy to get to on the train and lovely roads to ride around both areas.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've been having similar thoughts. Has anyone actually done the Dublin ferry thing? I've read reports that it's the getting out of Dublin that's the challenge.

simonmb | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ireland! Cycle / train to Holyhead; fast ferry across; then Dublin - Wicklow Mountains - aim for the Ring of Kerry (Molls Gap in photo). A lot of riding, a lot of beauty, a lot of craic. Airbnb-it! Damn. I wish I was going!

dottigirl replied to simonmb | 6 years ago
1 like

simonmb wrote:

Ireland!

Ummm, forgot to mention I'd prefer somewhere it didn't piss down most of the time.

And yes, I've been to Kerry. The weather was surprisingly good - it only rained half the time I was there.

A bit of sun would be nice/preferable.

simonmb replied to dottigirl | 6 years ago
2 likes

dottigirl wrote:

simonmb wrote:

Ireland!

Ummm, forgot to mention I'd prefer somewhere it didn't piss down most of the time.

After the first four days you'd never even notice the rain. Sun in October will involve a bit of flying time I guess. Great plan to mark your 40th in this way. Have fun!

Latest Comments