Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

post op ac seperation advice

Afternoon all,hope everyone is getting out and enjoying there bike riding,had ac seperation op,nearly 16 weeks ago now,they call it a lock down in physio were they put screw in and tie shortened collar bone down.Talking to physio the other day and saying possibly another 4 weeks before I can get out on road,can anyone give me any advice if this is correct as I was initially told after 12 weeks everything is knitting back together.Physio has told me there is no limit to how far I can stretch the arm now,so feel physio might be being over cautious ??? Itching to get out on road after being only a turbo ride for a few weeks. All advice greatly appreciated.Have a good day all.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

kev-s | 6 years ago
0 likes

Done both my ac joints (both times due to going over the bars on the bmx)

1st one was a grade 2 seperation, the 2nd time was a grade 3 seperation

Never had surgery on mine, doc just gave me exercises to help build up the surrounding mucsles to help support the joint

Was back on the road bike within a week (only way to get to work) was actually less painful on the bike than when off it as when i was on the hoods all the weight was off the joint and when off the bike i had to have it supported just for walking around etc..

How come you went for the surgery? the doctors to me it can cause more problems than its worth and its really just for cosmetic reasons (the 2 bumps i now have on my shoulders dont bother me)

Steve7 replied to kev-s | 6 years ago
0 likes

kev-s wrote:

Done both my ac joints (both times due to going over the bars on the bmx)

For r1st one was a grade 2 seperation, the 2nd time was a grade 3 seperation

Never had surgery on mine, doc just gave me exercises to help build up the surrounding mucsles to help support the joint

Was back on the road bike within a week (only way to get to work) was actually less painful on the bike than when off it as when i was on the hoods all the weight was off the joint and when off the bike i had to have it supported just for walking around etc..

How come you went for the surgery? the doctors to me it can cause more problems than its worth and its really just for cosmetic reasons (the 2 bumps i now have on my shoulders dont bother me)

thanks kev-s for reply,grade 4 separation,collarbone was irritating skin underneath so was inflamed after couple of months they said op was best option.Cut a piece of collarbone off and tied down,just feels stiff but keep on doing excersizes should reduce stiffness.

kev-s replied to Steve7 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Steve7 wrote:

thanks kev-s for reply,grade 4 separation,collarbone was irritating skin underneath so was inflamed after couple of months they said op was best option.Cut a piece of collarbone off and tied down,just feels stiff but keep on doing excersizes should reduce stiffness.

Ahh k, sounds much worse than my grade 2 & 3, exercise and keeping my arm supported helped loads

Grahamd | 6 years ago
1 like

I feel your pain, have been unable to ride properly for 5 months, awaiting spinal surgery. Lack of surgery won't kill me but the frustration of waiting just may.

Had shoulder surgery about 10 years ago, which was tough at the time but had a wonderful outcome with full strength and mobility restored. Rehabilitation does take ages, I recall being close to tears with frustration at progress. Listen to your physio and follow their advice and am sure you will be back on two wheels when your body is ready,

Your body may feel good but is still healing, take your time and am sure you'll have years of cycling ahead of you.

Steve7 replied to Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

Grahamd wrote:

I feel your pain, have been unable to ride properly for 5 months, awaiting spinal surgery. Lack of surgery won't kill me but the frustration of waiting just may.

Had shoulder surgery about 10 years ago, which was tough at the time but had a wonderful outcome with full strength and mobility restored. Rehabilitation does take ages, I recall being close to tears with frustration at progress. Listen to your physio and follow their advice and am sure you will be back on two wheels when your body is ready,

Your body may feel good but is still healing, take your time and am sure you'll have years of cycling ahead of you.

thanks grahamd for reply ,hope spinal surgery comes quick and a speedy recovery 

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
2 likes

Patience is the key. Inside healing takes w-a-y longer than something on the outside of your body. Listen to your physio and surgeon/s. Do their recommended exercises and stretching. When they give you the green light, go for it. Doing it beforehand may cause more harm and put you down for an extended time. In reality four weeks is not a long time. I say this as a liver transplant (cancer) patient who took 90 days off from spinning. Oh, how I ground my teeth yearning to hop on my bike and ride, ride, ride but common sense said no, wait, be patient my time will come, and it did.

What about spinning on a stationary trainer? I know it's not the same, and quite boring, but at least you can get your legs into shape for when you do go out for a spin.

Steve7 replied to VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

Patience is the key. Inside healing takes w-a-y longer than something on the outside of your body. Listen to your physio and surgeon/s. Do their recommended exercises and stretching. When they give you the green light, go for it. Doing it beforehand may cause more harm and put you down for an extended time. In reality four weeks is not a long time. I say this as a liver transplant (cancer) patient who took 90 days off from spinning. Oh, how I ground my teeth yearning to hop on my bike and ride, ride, ride but common sense said no, wait, be patient my time will come, and it did.

What about spinning on a stationary trainer? I know it's not the same, and quite boring, but at least you can get your legs into shape for when you do go out for a spin.

thanks veloUSA for reply just me being frustrated,had two sportives booked I couldn"t ride,on turbo at the moment

Latest Comments