Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Frame ruined? Or perfectly safe?

Just trying to garner opinions here - I stripped down my Specialized Roubaix disc frame and inspected the mudguard rub behind the BB. To me it looks pretty cosmetic, but as I intend to sell the frame, should I hold off advertising it?

Hopefully the photo should show a crescent shaped gouge about 12mm long, and it's about 1mm deep. Would this be enough to render it structurally unsound?

I will try and post the photo as a seperate reply, as it doesn't look like I can add photos to the OP

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bang an authentic-looking sticker over it and get it on eBay. Caveat emptor and all that.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

If this was caused due to the positioning of the attachments on the frame itself - so that no matter which guard you affixed it would rub/make contact,  and/or guards that were specified for the frame then you would have cause for complaint to the manufacturer.

Is it knackered, well, don't bank on that rub not being a problem structurally, check out this vid and you might have a better idea as to how much meat there might be in that area, evebn though it's a Roubaix I'd say more than an out and out racing frame but it still isn't going to be much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbg5hCRyvs

ATEOTD you're going to get peanuts selling it knowing that it has damage , bog std/mass produced CF frames are ten a penny these days.

Kendalred | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again for the tips guys. Will see what I can do about filling the gap.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

You can't see carbon fibres in the scratch so it's fine. Filling it with some extra strong epoxy is a good idea. If you look at the top of your forks (under the crown) you will probably see multiple scratches and dings like this. Nothing to worry about.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

Keep a close eye to see if cracks appear at the ends of the rubbing.  You could always use some carbon resin compound to fill the gouge.  

It will most likely be fine, but will devalue the frame from anybody buying it 2nd hand

Canyon48 replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Keep a close eye to see if cracks appear at the ends of the rubbing.  You could always use some carbon resin compound to fill the gouge.  

It will most likely be fine, but will devalue the frame from anybody buying it 2nd hand

Carbon resin sounds like a wise idea, it won't fix the rub, but I imagine it may assist protecting against further wear (and possibly cracks?)

matthewn5 replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

That's your real problem.

I'd suggest getting it inspected by a carbon place and showing potential buyers detailed images. Then your conscience is clear.

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
1 like

List it, note the damage, say what it's from, let the buyer decide...

Kendalred replied to alansmurphy | 7 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Yes, that was what I was going to do anyway, but just for my piece of mind I thought I'd just check I wasn't going to sell someone a deathtrap!

Thanks all for the replies.

Grahamd replied to Kendalred | 7 years ago
1 like

KendalRed wrote:

alansmurphy wrote:

Yes, that was what I was going to do anyway, but just for my piece of mind I thought I'd just check I wasn't going to sell someone a deathtrap!

Thanks all for the replies.

Looks ready for a catastrophic failure, I will take it off your hands for a fiver to ease your conscience.

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

There is a lot of carbon around that area, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to use it.

Kendalred replied to mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

mattydubster wrote:

There is a lot of carbon around that area, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to use it.

thanks M - I kind of thought as much, but no bad thing to get independent opinion (Sans emoticon!)

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

What size is the frame, I know a guy who wants to start cycling soon. Give you £300 for it. angel

Kendalred replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

What size is the frame, I know a guy who wants to start cycling soon. Give you £300 for it. angel

54. With fork and Axis 2.0 wheelset (no headset)

Kendalred | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think my irony/sarcasm radar has developed a fault - not sure if you're being serious or not!

S-J replied to Kendalred | 7 years ago
0 likes

KendalRed wrote:

I think my irony/sarcasm radar has developed a fault - not sure if you're being serious or not!

Na, honestly it looks fine mate. I wouldnt worry about it. 

S-J | 7 years ago
1 like

Scrap it, it's a write off 

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
0 likes

tis merely a scratch, come back and finish me off!

Kendalred | 7 years ago
0 likes

Photo:

Latest Comments