Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

America's Cup crossover

This year's America's Cup features 5 foiling catamarans, including the UK and Sir Ben Ainslie, flying above the surface and battling it out between themselves in Bermuda to take on Oracle Team USA, the current Defender, starting in May. These cats go faster than the wind and are extremely fast.

The solid wing sails and foils are all powered by hydraulics which are, themselves, powered by the sailors, known as grinders, using upper body strength to power the winches. However, in a break with tradition, Emirates Team New Zealand (ETNZ), have replaced the grinders with cycling sailors

It's well known that the cyclists can generate 50% more power than the grinders and could be a real game changer. However, for each tack or gybe (change of direction relative to the wind), the cyclists have to cross the boat from one side to the other, clip in and pedal as hard as possible to power up the hydraulics; the clipping in may well slow them down so the jury is out at the moment.

Either way, its a novel solution to a complex problem and could well see ETNZ taking the cup - watch this space

//i.imgur.com/OCSUVin.jpg )

//i.imgur.com/1fo37yv.jpg )

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Morat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Those boats are incredible. Having just looked at some youtube of the previous series I'll be looking out for this year's competition.

Al__S | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's not novel! Been tried, when the boats were far less extreme, by several AC teams before, as long ago as the 80s.

Being partisan, I hope it doesn't work out for them. I'd like to see Ainslie get a crack at taking on Oracle to try to get his name on the Cup as Helmsan. He was instrumental last time in rescuing Oracle, being subbed in when they were 8-1 down and taking the team to a 9-8 overall win. There's come backs, and then there's that.

Latest Comments