Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

High end Italian/Swiss exotica dilemma

Hi,  A little advice please.

In 2013 I was fortunate enough to build up my pride & joy (a Colnago C59 + dura-ace 9100) The bike is awesome, however I didn't get a professionally fitting (Not a mistake i'll make again) and despite many adjustments, saddles, stems bars, pedals, shoes etc I simply cannot get a comfortable position as I think the frame is just a little too large for me. I get numb hands & feet and feel too stretched out.

It pains me but with the expansion of electronic & disc brakes maybe this is the ideal time to update.  

I am currently torn between a Pinarello F8 Disc, Pinarello F10, Colnago C60 (Poss wait for disc option this year) or the BMC Roadmachine 01.

I know they are all fantastic bikes but has anyone ridden any of these and have a good comparison? It's very hard to find them stocked in LBS, also what is the verdict on Disc vs Rim brakes, I can see the many are shifting to disc and this would enable me to stay on the posh bike & ditch the winter bike but seeing the F10 is making me question this.

Too add more details I am in my 40's on the larger side 95kgs - 5'11", lack flexibility and I know that all of these bikes are well beyond my ability but that should stop me enjoying some exquisit kit.

Many thnaks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

nmanfield | 7 years ago
0 likes

You could look at an Argon 18 Gallium with disk or rim brakes.  You'll get the racey bike but also be with their press-fit 3 d system you'll be able to fine tune the 3 head tube heights to effectively allow you to set it up to suit your body and riding style.  I would also thoroughly reccomend a bike fitting.  I had one done last month in Poland (http://wertykal.com) and Krystyn was fantastic (and 1/5 of the price here in Switzerland).  They the Polish importer for Willier , Argon 18 and others, so they have loads of different top-end bikes you could have your fit done on.

P3t3 | 7 years ago
3 likes

I think you are doing this the wrong way round.  Surely the bikes you have listed are all long and low proffesional race machines.  From what you are saying about you, they probably aren't going to fit either. 

Why not save time by getting a bike fit, THEN see if any of the machines you like the look of can be made to fit.  

Then decide which one to go for, perhaps on the basis of a test ride of a correctly fitted size and set-up?  I doubt that you are going to encounter the limitations of any of these machines by any metric (weight, stiffness, handling etc) so forget all that, you are going to have to choose the one that you "like" riding.  

Buying toys for the sake of it is not going to make your riding any more fun. 

alotronic replied to P3t3 | 7 years ago
0 likes

P3t3 wrote:

I think you are doing this the wrong way round.  Surely the bikes you have listed are all long and low proffesional race machines.  From what you are saying about you, they probably aren't going to fit either. 

Why not save time by getting a bike fit, THEN see if any of the machines you like the look of can be made to fit.  

Then decide which one to go for, perhaps on the basis of a test ride of a correctly fitted size and set-up?  I doubt that you are going to encounter the limitations of any of these machines by any metric (weight, stiffness, handling etc) so forget all that, you are going to have to choose the one that you "like" riding.  

Buying toys for the sake of it is not going to make your riding any more fun. 

Totally!

I suspect that being the wrong side of 35 (like me) means that endurance-style bikes are going to work better for you TBH. I know, I know, they don't look as great, but... you're not going to get any lower on machine from this age onwards  3 And when I see Pinarellos I always think - China. And they are very marmite. I would go Roadmachine myself. Mt last two bikes have been a Kinesis Ti and Genesis Datum, both disc and they are both brilliant for very different reasons, but I suspect they are not brand enough for you.

Why not go proper boutique brand? Custom Ti, or something properly lush like a Parlee? If you want real street cred go for a Dolan. And there is certainly no one who is serious about bikes who is going to sneer at a high-end Canyon these days...  There are so many nice bikes to be had these days.... Happy choosing!

Alessandro | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm speaking from absolutely no experience, but I suspect that all of the bikes you've listed would be outstanding. Personally, though, I wouldn't be able to see past the Colnago from a purely aesthetic perspective, especially over the Pinarellos which (again, just my opinion) I find on the ugly side (too many wavy lines with the forks and seat stays). 

That said, you'd be best going to have a look at them all and seeing if you can test ride them, even if it's just on a turbo. 

Finally, if that C59 is too big for you and is just going to go to waste...

PaulBox | 7 years ago
2 likes

If you're anywhere near Sigma Sports in Hampton Wick pop in, they have the Pinarello's & Colnago's in stock. Though I think you might get some stick if you go for the gold/raw C60 (only noticed it on their web site this morning).

I like the romance of Campy, but after having eTap for about 9 months I wouldn't switch. It just works so well and as you say, helps make the bike look clean. Not to mention the ease of fitting / changing parts. 

Ogi | 7 years ago
1 like

Etap is great, but it has to be Campy doesn't it?  1

Cowboybob | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Ogi,

i was swaying towards the C60 disc as at 95kgs there is little point at being a weight weenie but I love the way the F10 & BMC make the bike look clean of cabeles etc.......

I guess Sram Etap would get the same clean look on any frame?

Ogi | 7 years ago
1 like

I haven't ridden either of those, but I have mates who own Pinarello F8 rim version and other mate owning Colnago. From their experiences, Pinarello is full on stiff race machine. The guy complains that it does cause him pains on longer rides, but it is certainly super fast and stiff. Colnago, on the other hand is apparently more comfortable - not to say that is soft or wooly, as the frame is regularly raced by UAE team. I would call it "more all-around", as opposed to F8/F10 which are super focused. Roadmachine is a great bike, and if I followed common sense - perfect bike for me. Relatively quick, disc brakes, looks good...cross between Teammachine and GF (ideal). Still, Italian stuff would attract me more for the money...if we're talking mid range, BMC wins.

Disc vs. rim choice is tough. I would advise disc, but then I ride throughout the year (a lot of it in shitty weather) and I appreciate disc brakes and am not a weight weenie. If you're a weekend warrior pursuing nice weather rides/joys...rim bike is perfect. No need for disc.

Latest Comments