Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is a well specced Domane worth the cash?

So having had my bike fit, it looks like I'm looking at a geometry that gives me a high stack and a short reach. The Trek Domane looks very nice indeed and at a push I could probably stretch to around £3k if it really is as good as the reviews would suggest (not yet decided on discs vs. rim brakes) Anyone with any experience of this range?  I would like to get good value but the online brands don't seem suited to what I need.   At this price point 105 seems a bit stingy on the disc version although from the only review I can find online, Trek have gone with a fancier wheelset. 

I know a fancy bike won't really make me any faster but this is is a one in a lifetime treat to myself for recovering from cancer and getting fit again so would like to finalise a shortlist and get out on a test ride.  Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

barongreenback | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Cugel. Yes, I would have preferred a compromise as also a knackered set of carbon wheels is a lot pricier to replace than aluminium.   

My problem is tight hamstrings. Despite physiotherapy they are still ridiculously tight hence the need to be a bit more upright. Having got my full report today, the Domane in a 62cm is the only bike we have found so far that gets beyond the standard 1.54-1.57 stack to reach ratio of many other endurance bikes. 

Cugel | 7 years ago
1 like

I have two Domane bikes: one set up as a light summer "racer" with calliper brakes and light HED wheels; the other set up as a winter bike with discs, a triple chainset (low gears) and mudguards.

Both are a joy to ride - stiif for power transfer and steering down bumpy bendy roads but very compliant when sailing over scab-road and other nasty surfaces.

Both have 28mm tyres on, although the disc version will take 32mm albeit mudguards then get a bit tight to fit. I have them both with short high rise stems, so that this with their already tall head tube has me quite upright, as I'm an old scrote now and can no longer adopt the racing position without neck & shoulder ache.

However, comfort can also be achieved in the racing position if your vulnerable part is a lower back rather than a stiff neck, since the racing position puts more weight through your hands and less through your spine. At 40 summick years old you should be supple enough to adopt a racing position. (I'm 68).

But if you like to ride more in touring or audax style, the Domane will suit. Different stems will allow a significant range of positions anyway; but you'll always have it's great power transfer allied with a lot of comfort, especially at the back end.

Trek was guilty of selling good frames with decent groupsets but poor wheels, to meet a price point. With the £3000 105 version inclusive of fancy wheels I think they've gone to the other extreme. A £1600 pair of wheels on what should be a £2000 bike is a mismatch. £2000 for the same bike with much better wheels than the usual bottom-of-the-range Bontragers should be possible.

Just a month or three ago you could buy a Domane 400 CF framed bike with Sora and TRP HY/RB discs for £850 in the sales. It's one of the Domanes I have and I was very happy to pay £1300 for it. An £850 price would be reasonable just for the frameset, especially if you flogged off the Sora, TRP brakes and Bontrager wheels but kept the good quality stem, seatpost and bars. You could get some very good groupset & wheels for £2150!

I put Shimano full hydraulic brakes on mine and it's the best winter bike I've ever had (and I've had a few).

Cugel.

gonedownhill | 7 years ago
0 likes

Was gonna suggest the Rose Xeon CDX - £2400 for ultegra with hydraulic discs and sportive geometry, but the same size trek is both shorter reach and bigger stack so I reckon go with the Trek. 

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-cdx-3000-disc-820921/aid:820952

I have 105 and Ultegra on different bikes and think I would struggle to tell the difference in a blind test. Unless I was ungloved and it was cold as the metal levers on 105 are a bit chilly in winter!

barongreenback replied to gonedownhill | 7 years ago
0 likes

gonedownhill wrote:

Was gonna suggest the Rose Xeon CDX - £2400 for ultegra with hydraulic discs and sportive geometry, but the same size trek is both shorter reach and bigger stack so I reckon go with the Trek. 

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-xeon-cdx-3000-disc-820921/aid:820952

I have 105 and Ultegra on different bikes and think I would struggle to tell the difference in a blind test. Unless I was ungloved and it was cold as the metal levers on 105 are a bit chilly in winter!

I looked at Rose as I like the fact you can customise like Ribble but yes, not quite as good a match. Certainly on rim brakes I struggle to tell the difference too.  Not tried the hydraulic disc versions but the 105 level levers look dreadful. 

Griff500 | 7 years ago
1 like

A big part of any sport is psychology, and if you feel good, you do good. So in addition to the very real benefit of having a light, comfortable bike which transmits power effectively, you also receive a psychological boost. I looked closely at the Treks last year, predominantly Emonda, but eventually went for a Scott Addict Ultegra, which I love to bits. Part of the appeal was it struck the balance of having the pedigree of a major brand, but at least in my local area, not that common. I get a real buzz seeing it parked outside the cake shop in a long line of Defy's! (Prepare to be flamed!). In the price range you are looking at, it is hard to find a bad bike. Its a question of which one floats your own particular boat.

dunnoh | 7 years ago
1 like

I just got a Orbea with Ultegra Di2 with discs for £1800.  I concur that having a fancy bike is amazing!

Daveyraveygravey | 7 years ago
1 like

Another factor in my decision was looking at the rides I had done in the previous year. About 250 were around 2 hours - I ride to work 2-3 times a week and that was most of them. About 30 were around 4 hours and under 10 were all day, so I didn't feel comfort should be a major factor

Gasman Jim | 7 years ago
1 like

If you already have a winter bike with discs and guards then I'd say get the lightest raciest bike this time round and keep it for spring / summer use.

barongreenback replied to Gasman Jim | 7 years ago
1 like

Gasman Jim wrote:

If you already have a winter bike with discs and guards then I'd say get the lightest raciest bike this time round and keep it for spring / summer use.

I think that's the way I'm thinking.  I'll try the di2 to see whether that's worth doing (on the Domane, it's also a nice colour frame lol)

Thanks again for all the advice and good wishes.

Luv2ride | 7 years ago
1 like

The disc version takes 32mm tyres, if that's important to you? The rim brake version has less frame clearance.  I'd go SR6 if it were me, discs with the Vision Metron disc wheels.  Trek have recently hiked their prices though....

barongreenback | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies everyone. The geometry of the Domane seems to suit me best based on the slightly artificial setting of a bike fit but I also have the Roubaix on my list and the Focus Paralane reviewed yesterday adds something different into the mix. I've been cycling for over 10 years (pushing 40 now) and I'm looking for a bit of comfort, something lighter and something just a bit more flash than my aluminium Synapse that will become my winter bike.   I must admit rim brakes have never left me wanting more but the cable discs on my Synapse seem to do the job. As it's a 'best bike' then I guess I can save it for dry days. If we get any!

Time to sort out those test rides....

katywu | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm a Domane 5.2 owner and very happy with the bike.

I did ride quite a few bikes before selecting the Domane, to be honest there wasn't a great deal between them but I liked the look of the Domane and it certain felt comfortable to ride so that's what I went with and happy with my LBS. No complaints 3 years later, I've upgraded the wheels but other than that all going well.

As above create a shortlist and try and ride them and see what's best for you.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
1 like

The Treks seem very highly regarded by my LBS every time I'm in there and they have good finishing kit.
Test ride is essential and Evans, if there's one nearby stock them. It may be that something a bit more or if the norm rides better...
Best of luck in trying out and have fun on whatever you decide to get.

Mungecrundle | 7 years ago
1 like

If you are asking if the Trek in that spec is a good bike, then from the professional reviews it would appear so. As to how it will make you feel, that is not something that any amount of forum opinion can truly tell you up front except to give you expectations which may or may not be realised.

Is going faster what makes cycling fun for you? Do you enjoy going up hills, down hills, high speed cornering, long gentle trips in the sunshine with some sarnies in your pocket and a beer stop, or are you a masochist for bad weather? Do you like to be alone or in company? If so what sort of cycling are your mates into? Is the bike one of a selection only to be used for best or is it your daily commute and weekend warrior? Are you in the ascendant prime of your life or on the downhill side of your peak? Is the badge important or do you really not give a crap what others think of your choice? What are the route options where you live? Off road trails away from the traffic or are you road only? Are you planning some big adventure?

So basically, from my vast experience of buying 1 second hand bicycle, 1 mountain bike and 1 high end road bike in the last 25 years, no help at all except in wishing you well on your remission. Must have been a shit time and I hope you have a great many summers of cycling to look forward to.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
1 like

Narrow your search down to three bikes. The only way to know which bike best fits your needs is too test ride each bike. Buy the one you like the most.

Simon E | 7 years ago
1 like

I'd keep a little of your budget for a selection of good quality clothing, accessories and for some trips to places you really want to ride.

Daveyraveygravey | 7 years ago
1 like

A friend has a Domane, cost him around £2k a couple of years ago, loves it.  He did the Paris-Brest-Paris ride on it, a long hard slog of an endurance almost no sleep type of ride.  I think it was 1200 kn in 90 hours, but I could be remembering either figure wrong.

I decided not to get discs when I got my new bike 2 years ago, I decided it would have meant compromising elsewhere in the spec.  The new bike had Ultegra which had way better braking than I was used to!  I would probably go for discs now though, more for the reason of preserving wheels than any braking advantage.  If you ride through winter rim brakes will bugger your rims in a couple of years.

Although I have Ultegra, I think most people struggle to tell it apart in use from Ultegra, plus replacaments are cheaper.  Cassettes and chains will wear out, so you could maybe upgrade to Ultegra as that happens.

Ogi | 7 years ago
1 like

Go for it! Sure, the "endurance sector" is crowded and you can buy all sorts of stuff for the money. Domane is definitely a great choice.

davel | 7 years ago
1 like

"I know a fancy bike won't really make me any faster.."

I'll counter this with 'it should'- for exactly the reasons you state. If you ride it like a new toy throughout the summer you'll be back in shape in no time, and it won't feel like 'training'.

No experience of owning Treks but I think I'd be looking at the SL-6 pro from that lot as personally I rate the overall ultegra package as worth more than discs, and I haven't got to the point where I feel I 'need' discs yet.

Depends on the type of riding you're planning - if you're aiming to do fast or long descents and are not experienced with carbon rims you might prefer the extra reassurance of discs, and 105 is still a solid groupset, so that might be the safest all-rounder. If that's the bike you want, you'll probably find a way to make it work. The Metron 40s are lightish and well-rated and would cost over a grand to spec separately - so you're right, there's a significant  chunk of the overall £3k.

If you want extra tech (extra hassle, according to some) the sl-7 with ultegra di2 is the same price (cheaper wheels). I'd still pick the SL-6 pro.

Whichever way you go, good luck and enjoy; it's a nice dilemma to be in.

Latest Comments