Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Here; Some advice please. Replacement bike (and what to do with the old one!)

Hi there, new to these forums, please be gentle.

I started riding Road Bikes in 2011. I wasn't sure I would like them, having always ridden mountain bikes from a young age, but I had started commuting every day across London and wanted something quicker than my old, knackered Halfords Apollo.

I started small, with a (also Halfords) Carrera TDF, and I loved that little bike. It was cheap, did exactly what I needed and it got me into bikes in a much more serious way.

Eventually in 2015 I upgraded significantly and bought a Specialized Allez Comp to replace it with, and rode that until last year when a car pulled out of a side road in front of me without looking and totalled it.

The replacement for this was an amazing bike; a Specialized Allez SL DSW (2017).

I only had that one since October, but two weeks ago another collision; this time an Uber driver turning right (right into me) as I was going ahead.

The money for that crash is going to finance its' replacement, but now I am unsure what to do.

I only have space in my already crowded London house for one bike. I cannot store two. This has become painfully apparent to me this week whilst a friend has leant me their hybrid to use whilst mine is off the road.

Therefore I would like another Road Bike, with an endurance build as opposed to race, with disc brakes and fittings for mudguards. This will be used for both commuting every day as well as taking out on the weekend occasionally and the odd sportive.

I know straight away you will say that I shouldn't use a good Road Bike for commuting, and in an ideal world I would agree with you and own two bikes, but I cannot as stated above. I only have the space for one.

So what would be your suggestions for its replacement? Ideally I would like to spend about £1000 (though less is always nice!) but can go higher if necessary.

I would also like to hear your thoughts on what to do with the old bike! The frame is cracked, but there is very little other damage to it. Is it worth stripping it and trying to sell the usable parts on it? It has 105s and carbon FACT forks which appear undamaged (but obviously have been in a crash as well - so unsure whether to even contemplate re-using them).

Any help would be gratefully received.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

ChrisB200SX | 7 years ago
1 like

Frames can be repaired. Forks can be scanned for damage. You might not be inclined to do so, but worth selling on (or giving away if you need the space that much) for someone else to make the most of? The most convenient option is probably the best for you from what you've said, money always has an influence though  3
Get something through a cycle-to-work scheme if your employer does that?
I don't see having one nice bike for my commute as a problem, just sucks if it keeps getting written off  2 The only real problem for me would be if you leave it somewhere it's likely to get stolen because it's so nice.
This is a bargain in my employer's cycle scheme, works out at £570 after income tax deduction, I'd prefer a carbon frame though:
https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/p84852/cube-attain-sl-disc-2016-road-bike

Plenty of decent bikes out there for about £1000 or less, I'm sure plenty of people will have suggestions  1
Also, might be worth reading-up on ways to avoid getting hit? This is no criticism of you, it just might be possible for you to avoid getting hit quite so frequently, which could only be a good thing.

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
2 likes

If enough of the bike can be salvaged might be worth just buying the frame and other bits you need and using the bits from the damaged bike that can be used.

Latest Comments