Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike builder recommendation

I live in Derby and am planning to buy a frame (perhaps Mason or Bowman) and then get it built up.

I don't have the experience or know-how to do the build myself.

Any recommendations, not too far from Derby, would be much appreciated.

Also, given this is the first time I have done this, any advice on do's and dont's would be much appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Marino999 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi all 

Not sure if this is the right topic for this but looking for some advice. 

I'm looking to upgrade the group set on my older bike from a 9 speed Sora to 11 speed 105.  Now after initial investigations it appears I will also need to change the freehub to accomodate the cassette and with the wheels I have it's hard to find a reasonably priced hub with the right number of holes to fit, or do I just need a new freehub body to fit the 105?

Or is it worth upgrading the wheels as well?

For info, its a carbon fork only bike so slightly heavy, or do I just go all hog and build a bike from scratch.  

Decisions!

Thanks in advance.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

Go for it!

I got my LBS to do the bottom braket and headset race as the tools are expensive. Everything else is an allen key. Get good cable cutters.

If you cock it up then take it to your LBS and they will build it up for ~£150 (which is cheaper than the tools but tools should last forever)

webcrest | 5 years ago
0 likes

I think build a bicycle that is unique to you and your requirements. For bike builder I recommended to choose groupsets &  Wheels from Shimano,  finishing kit from Deda, ITM, Zipp.

Lenient smile | 7 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for your comments.

Am I naive in thinking that I could get a better build than a complete bike they are offering by buying a Mason frame then getting LBS to build it up?

CXR94Di2 replied to Lenient smile | 7 years ago
0 likes
Lenient smile wrote:

Many thanks for your comments.

Am I naive in thinking that I could get a better build than a complete bike they are offering by buying a Mason frame then getting LBS to build it up?

Yes, you can specify exactly which group set, wheels, handlebars, stem, seat and post. You can even pick the best parts from one groupset and then choose from another. I did this with ultegra Di2 hydraulic shifters with XT MTB Di2 derailleurs.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

For a frame such as the Mason any decent LBS should be happy to do it.  They're not going to have one in stock so it's not like you're losing them money by buying direct.  

How much it costs might depend on how much of the finishing kit you get from them - but it doesn't harm to ask.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I agree a workstand is extremely useful, but I built my Tripster using too chairs in the kitchen . Didn't fancy working in the garage in freezing conditions recently.

SingleSpeed | 7 years ago
0 likes

also RTFM.

I bought a rather expensive niner frame with the eccentric bottom bracket...my intital guess was to use copper slip.

Turns out this wasn't the reccomended lubricant...who'd have thought it but pipe joining plumbing paste...it was a pain as I had a Six Pack of beers and the frame in my work stand all ready to build it!

Oh and to the original poster a workstand is essential, I've got the folding Park one, it's the best £100 you'll ever spend.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

Fit forks to frame, temporarily fit stem and handlebars, don't cut steerer tube yet. I generally leave steerer tube longer than needed and only make final cut after a week or two once I've dialled in position. Fit wheels and you now have a rolling frame.
Fiddly bit but easy, route cables whether inside or outside frame. Now fit bottom brackets and crankset, followed by derailleurs.

Last bit connect all cables , hoses to brakes and derailleurs. Setup and test. Make more fine adjustment s to setup. Test ride and smile on your first built bike. Adjust anything and then fit bar tape. Ride it locally and once you find the perfect position shorten the steer tube if you wish. I tend to leave my steerer tube a little longer so can setup more relaxed to aggressive setups

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Very good advice there from Chancer. I recently replaced the Sora on my winter bike with 11 speed 5800 and ended up rewrapping the bars several times getting the brifters 'just so'.

Lenient smile | 7 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks to you all.  I need to decide if I will take the plunge and do it myself.

ChancerOnABike | 7 years ago
0 likes

I build my kinesis up with no experience and without any major issues.

Do your bar tape last, make sure your levers are in the right place even take it for a spin before to make sure on the hoods and drops the levers are jn the right place.

take your time fitting things and hand toghten everything making sure it goes in easily with tiny amounts of antibseizw compound,  that way you shouldn't tighten anything up cross threading. I managed to write off an old crank set as the old pedals Didnt go in right and i stripped rhe threadz.

there us to be a bike shop on elton road that was very reasonable if it's still there. 

trohos | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you have time, money and trust yourself, assembling it yourself. Ιt's very funny.

If the frame is factory faced and has already the headset cup the tools are needed  is , toque wrenches 1-20Nm, 20-50Nm , a bit set, bb cup tool or bb press fit tool, anti seize paste,,manuals and Attention. Also in youtube has many assebling guide to help you but trust only those from companies (e.g. park tool), shop (e.g. velotique)s or organization (gcn). The benefit is that if you doing the adjust you will learn to do most of the services alone, especially if you don't have near i bike shop.

But if you're not 100% sure let a bike mechanic to do the job. Good luck!

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I didn't have the experience or know-how when I built up my first modern bike a few years back. Incredibly satisfying to learn and do it myself from the frame up. Most parts come with excellent instructions, plus there's hundreds of useful instructional videos on YouTube. You'll know your bike to a T by the time you finish! And be able to repair anything you do wrong.

If not, pretty much any decent bike shop can do it for you, though they will charge 'corkage' if you bring your own parts.

Latest Comments