Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

My Health and Safety Abomination (Bike)

After getting T-boned last winter in a very slow speed side junction prang I decided to boost my side visibility. It was a rainy night ride back from work and a lady just trundled past the white line and sent me arse over tête, one wheel truing and some bruises later I resolved to do something about it. First I bought some very bright and defuse Orfos Flares from Kickstarter. They did the job last year.

This summer I got an all black Ribble Sportive Racing (Henry Ford 1x colourways) and thought it could do with a visibility boost when the clocks went back. So I bought some of this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141424356578

2m 4cm black reflects white, 3m 2.5cm black/wh and 2m 2.5cm red £36.29

After some careful cutting and cleaning I think it is quite neat and effective.

The weird thing is I never see the effect, apart from the red stays I never see the reflected light, I just have to assume it is passively working. (Won't work on pedestrians and foxes.) Otherwise it doesn't change the look of my bike or add much to the weight.

All in the name of not having to wear a yellow binbag.

Thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah when I got a black Canyon a few years ago I busied myself putting black scotchbrite strips all over it. Way to go, it's invisible in the daytime. Eventually I took a bit off because it didn't look very good, hairdryer got it off without problems.

JBossSangha | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've also got some of this tape on my commuting bike.

However, I also use the 3M 983 High Intensity reflective tape as it's much much more reflective than the  3M 560 tape above. The 3M 983 tape is the stuff used to outline the edges of lorries and can be seen 1000m away.

Example on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Intensity-Yellow-Reflective-Compliant/dp/604...

It is available in different widths and lengths - but unfortunately is much harder/stiffer to work with than the 3M 560 tape above.

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

Not quite the same level. But not to bad I hope. 

nniff | 7 years ago
1 like

I've got a black bike covered in the black-shines-white 3M tape.  You can't really see it in the day time unless you look for it.  It would probably peel off with a bit of heat from a hairdryer, but it's stuck well for eight years so far.

I was described as looking like a mobile disco last night.  That'll do for me!

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
2 likes

Frantically Googling battery powered fairy lights... yes.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
3 likes

Christmas lights ... For realz.

ChrisB200SX | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a lot less of it on my bike, black-white reflective in repeated thin strips on the front/sides of the forks, head tube and a little on the rims ,red on the rear of the seat stays and seatpost, amber on my pedals. Will put the rest of the red tape I've got on the rear mudguard. I think you've inspired me to get more tape for more coverage though!

You need to keep it clean, a layer of road muck really stops it being effective.

It's not easy to stick it to SPD pedals.

wycombewheeler replied to ChrisB200SX | 7 years ago
0 likes
ChrisB200SX wrote:

I've got a lot less of it on my bike, black-white reflective in repeated thin strips on the front/sides of the forks, head tube and a little on the rims ,red on the rear of the seat stays and seatpost, amber on my pedals. Will put the rest of the red tape I've got on the rear mudguard. I think you've inspired me to get more tape for more coverage though!

You need to keep it clean, a layer of road muck really stops it being effective.

It's not easy to stick it to SPD pedals.

Why not stick it to the shoes then?

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cracking work - inspired me to get some of that crazy tape for my two winterers/commuters.

pruaga | 7 years ago
0 likes

I was thinking about getting some of this stuff and some velcro straps so I can make something a bit less permanent.  Would probably look a bit dodgy in the daylight, but if it looks half as good as yours at night I'd be happy.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wow, that's visible, good job! Now you'll just get "sorry mate, you blinded me"  3

Just done something similar to a winter hack I've just put together, reflective tape all over the frame and on the mudguards. Looks like shit but hopefully I'll be seen!

TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
0 likes

That is outstanding - in every way.

The issue holding me back is that 3M describe the 580 film as having a "permanent" adhesive, yet is "removable with heat". 

Has anyone used this stuff and removed it without damaging the paintwork?

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

Christmas lights?! For realz. Picture please.

The red bit is not as neat as it looks at a distance. The rest is down to my rather square tubes. I did take care and the colours do mean it is incognito until you shine a light on it. We will see what the wet weather does to it over the winter.

No one picked up on the name of the bike Ribble Sportive Racing as a contradiction, because of course a sportive is not a race, except when it is. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-sportive-racing/

I wonder if I would dare do this to a Canyon (If one day I ever have one; n≥1.)

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thats MENTAL! Bravo!

Makes my Tron shoes below look like nowt.

Might invest in some of that for after the festive season.

Between now and the 6th of January, my commuter is wearing Christmas Lights wound round the frame.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant work.  I now feel like I should re-do mine - currently just a load of chevron stickers - as it's nowwhere near as neat!

nmanfield | 7 years ago
1 like

I bought the same a while ago.  Cut 1 cm strips and put them on the rims of my wheels between the spokes - catches the eye as they turn

sergius | 7 years ago
1 like

That is brilliant. Literally!

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Did the same for my daughters bike at University

ktache | 7 years ago
4 likes

You did the insides of the seat stays.  I am very impressed.

I go for the 3M straws on my spokes.  And bits all over me on me.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
2 likes

My EYES they buuurn...but in a good way!

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

Been thinking about that. Some red on the back of the seat stays should do the job of a rear reflector nicely.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
2 likes

LOL

That's mental. Love it laugh

Considering doing my top tube in red now. GJ.

Leviathan | 7 years ago
5 likes

I might get some of those Monkeylectric for my wheels too.

"I didn't see him, your Honour."

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
2 likes

Awesome job dude! I have 10mm 3M reflective strip stuck all over my winter bike. I don't care what mine looks like it if helps prevent SMIDSYs. If anyone tries the SMIDSY excuse with you, I think they'd get laughed out of court!

Leviathan | 7 years ago
5 likes

Take some time...

Leviathan | 7 years ago
4 likes

This might...

Leviathan | 7 years ago
6 likes

Okay...

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

Some pickies...