Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice for the New Tyres

Hi there just after some advice about tyres for my bike if possible.

I have been riding for a time but I'm still fairly unaware when it comes to this type of thing. For the moment I've received some 'slick' tyres in the mountain bike as almost all of my riding is commuting on roads/paths somewhat than offroad. I've experienced a reasonable bit from touch flats and it's also not the preferred drive, mostly because I'm a major lad so almost seems like I'm running on semi-flat tyres as soon as I set off.

Are there any tires that are built for bigger loads? The dimension on my current ones is 26 x 2. 1. I previously experienced problems with the tires and rims but have since received new hand built tires and rims that appear to be much better and have prevented the issues I experienced with spokes pinging off, so I'm just attempting to sort the tires out now.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Being a major lad means you need major air in your tyres. If they're 2.1 tyres, that's a LOT of major air.

If you haven't got a decent floor pump with a gauge, invest in one and get at least halfway between minimum and maximum inflation as marked on the tyres.

Sit on the bike and if the tyres bottom out noticeably, add more air.

Repeat until you find the right pressure for your weight and then monitor it for success on the road. You may have to add or subtract a little to stop it being too harsh or still squishy.

Don't exceed the max rating for the tyre.

Latest Comments