Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Felt F75 or Merlin FF1 105

Thanks to all the helpful comments in my other first bike thread, I have narrowed it down to these two bikes:

https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-ff1-105-mix-road-bike-84204.html

https://www.merlincycles.com/felt-f75-road-bike-2016-93834.html

Similar price and similar spec. I slightly prefer the look of the Merlin.

Is one more suitable for a novice, due to geometry, stiffness etc?

Also, can get shoes and Shimano clippy pedal thingies bundled with the Merlin for an extra £29. Is that worthwhile? I was just going to put some flat pedals with toe clip (cage) things on for starters.

Not sure if starting a new thread for this was the right thing to do. Other thread was getting cumbersome, that's all!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

BobbyG | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ah well, maybe some nicer weather will help  1

Perhaps getting out into the countryside might be a better bet.

Fish_n_Chips | 7 years ago
0 likes

Felt then use the wheels for training or winter.

BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

How have you got on with the F75, Jim? (provided you're still lurking around here)

Jimjiber replied to BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

BobbyG wrote:

How have you got on with the F75, Jim? (provided you're still lurking around here)

Hey!

I have done about 200km on it, round the track opposite my house. I really have not been bitten by the bug. 

Every time I walk through the conservatory, the bike looks at me, makes me feel guilty. 

I will try to force myself to get out again at the weekend...

Thanks for asking.

BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

Oh there's plenty advice about that if you need it!

Personally I just use standard household 3in1 oil, and GT85 degreaser every now and again when I think the drivetrain needs a clean.  Best advice is to not use too much lube, if you do your chain/cassette/legs will be a black sticky mess in no time.  Just wipe off any excess with a cloth after application.

BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

Glad it's all gone well, Jim.

She's a good looking beast isn't she?  The pictures don't do the F75 justice at all.

Good luck with your recovery, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the bike.  As far as the clear nail varnish stuff is concerned, I have no idea!  Mine didn't come with any, nor do I have any stone chips  1

0 likes

BobbyG wrote:

Glad it's all gone well, Jim.

She's a good looking beast isn't she?  The pictures don't do the F75 justice at all.

Good luck with your recovery, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the bike.  As far as the clear nail varnish stuff is concerned, I have no idea!  Mine didn't come with any, nor do I have any stone chips  1

Thanks!

Yes, it's a beautiful bike indeed. I just got my pedals so I will pop those on later. Still don't think I am able to ride it yet - I haven't even managed to stand astride it!

I guess I need to buy some lube spray for the chain and stuff. I actually have no idea about how bikes are maintained these days - it's been so long.

alexwlondon | 7 years ago
1 like

Good luck with surgery. If it's of any consolation I stopped playing football after someone (in a "friendly") kicked me from behind and ended up with a broken finger after the fall. I got a penalty though, which I missed in agony. Went to hospital, put on a splint, stopped playing, bought a bike and never looked back. Just start with normal pedals and don't worry about it. You'll be fine with clip-ons in a few months.

Good choice on the Felt. I am sure you'll love it!

Jimjiber replied to alexwlondon | 7 years ago
0 likes

alexwlondon wrote:

Good luck with surgery. If it's of any consolation I stopped playing football after someone (in a "friendly") kicked me from behind and ended up with a broken finger after the fall. I got a penalty though, which I missed in agony. Went to hospital, put on a splint, stopped playing, bought a bike and never looked back. Just start with normal pedals and don't worry about it. You'll be fine with clip-ons in a few months. Good choice on the Felt. I am sure you'll love it!

Thanks Alex! Surgery went pretty well I think. Managed to drive today for the first time since the op last Tuesday. 

Bike arrived yesterday and is gorgeous. Instructions are in German only! Got a little pot of nail varnish in with it. I assume it white paint for touching up chips - no note or anything to explain! I ordered some of those Shimano A530 Touring pedals, so I can use them with regular shoes in the first instance, until I get some of the posh shoes.

I am using the bike mainly as a way to build my fitness back up for footy!

BobbyG | 7 years ago
1 like

Ah that's right, I remember you saying now....all the best for your recovery.

Nothing wrong with just sticking some "normal" pedals just to get a feel for the bike initally.  Mine came with some plastic pedals but I think I upgraded to clipless after about 2 weeks!  As for twisting your knee whilst unclipping, the Shimano pedals have a tension adjuster, meaning you can make the process as light as you wish.

BobbyG | 7 years ago
0 likes

An excellent choice, Sir  1 I look forward to sharing many more Felt F75 stories in future!

What are you gonna do about pedals/shoes?

Good luck on the surgery front too...what is it you're having done? (apologies if you've already said)

0 likes

BobbyG wrote:

An excellent choice, Sir  1 I look forward to sharing many more Felt F75 stories in future!

What are you gonna do about pedals/shoes?

Good luck on the surgery front too...what is it you're having done? (apologies if you've already said)

Not sure about pedals shoes. Figured I might just get some flat pedals initially because I have never used the fancy clip-in ones.  Bit worried the twisting action to snap out of them would be bad for my knee.

I am going for a cartilege trim tomorrow. General aneasthetic, which is a bit surprising. I have a couple of small tears after someone booted me in the knee during footy last December. A "friendly" match apparently!!!

Thanks!

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
2 likes

I JUST ORDERED THE FELT F75!

I am very excited! Now I just need to get the pesky surgery out of the way...

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

What he said. The Felt is the better bike.

Jimjiber replied to Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

cyclesteffer wrote:

What he said. The Felt is the better bike.

I think I am leaning towards the Felt now tbh. 

The one thing holding me back is the Merlin can be had for 12 months at 0%, whereas the Felt is 12 months at 9.9%. And the pedal/shoe bundle is only on the Merlin (I checked with them). Neither of those is a good reason to to get the potentially lesser bike.

hennahairgel | 7 years ago
2 likes

I'd go for the Felt, but then I'm on my 4th Felt so I would say that! It's half a kilo lighter and looks pretty in white.

I've never had a problem with the Felt wheels, and anyway they are a good part to upgrade in the future and make a large difference to the ride.

Also the Felt is originally £170 more  which must represent better quality somewhere.

BobbyG | 7 years ago
1 like

I should also say that whilst the shoes ain't the best in the world, they'd be more than adequate to get you started, and if you got that £29 deal then they've effectively cost you about a fiver!

BobbyG | 7 years ago
1 like

Difficult to say about the wheels. Mine came with Mavic CXP22s which I fairly quickly changed to a set of Mavic Kyserium Elites. I guess all I can do is point to the overall weight again (the F75 being lower)

Additionally it's worth noting that the same shoes/pedals are available in a package for £45 anyway....to be fair maybe you could use them as a bargaining tool, and ask for the £29 bundle on the F75, but that's because I'm pro the F75!

Jimjiber | 7 years ago
0 likes
BobbyG | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that my recommendation is the Felt  1

it really is a very nice "first" bike. It's well specced, and well finished. Mine has seen me right for the past 2 years and the upgrades I've made to it mean I'm not looking to change it anytime soon. 

Adding clipless pedals & shoes for £30 is pretty incredible frankly, which would lead me to worry that the shoes could be pretty horrific (the pedals are worth nearly £30 alone)

I can't really provide an opinion on the Merlin, but I can see that it is heavier and has an inferior chainset (lower grade Shimano as opposed to Shimano 105). Also the Merlin appears to have a slightly less aggressive geometry, whereas the Felt is definitely quick, and with a track at your disposal (I think you mentioned in your original post) you would definitely feel the difference.

N.B. I was a novice when I bought mine!

Good luck!

0 likes
BobbyG wrote:

I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that my recommendation is the Felt  1

it really is a very nice "first" bike. It's well specced, and well finished. Mine has seen me right for the past 2 years and the upgrades I've made to it mean I'm not looking to change it anytime soon. 

Adding clipless pedals & shoes for £30 is pretty incredible frankly, which would lead me to worry that the shoes could be pretty horrific (the pedals are worth nearly £30 alone)

I can't really provide an opinion on the Merlin, but I can see that it is heavier and has an inferior chainset (lower grade Shimano as opposed to Shimano 105). Also the Merlin appears to have a slightly less aggressive geometry, whereas the Felt is definitely quick, and with a track at your disposal (I think you mentioned in your original post) you would definitely feel the difference.

N.B. I was a novice when I bought mine!

Good luck!

Thanks Bobby. The Merlin seems to have better wheels but I think that's the only because I know nothing about the Felt wheels!

Latest Comments