Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

32mm tyres - whats the nearest thing to a Conti Four Season?

Hi all,

got myself a lovely GT Grade Tiagra dirt cheap from Chain Reaction, absolutely loving it for the commute.

Its still got the 28mm Conti Ultra Sports it came fitted with, the Alex Rims on the Grade must be quite wide as they really stretch them out.

I want to go a even fatter though, to a 32mm tyre, and I'm aware the Conti Ultra Sports have pretty much zero puncture resistance, although they seem to roll pretty well.

I'm used to Continental Four Seasons and ride them on all my other bikes, however, they don't seem to do a 32mm size. If they did I would buy them immediately. I love Conti Four Seasons, they last for ages, right down to the canvas, very rarely puncture, fast and awesome wet grip. Very light, and easy to take on and off the rims, for that rare occasion when the puncture fairy does visit (about twice a year).

Soo.. any opinions on which tyres are "most like" the Conti Four Seasons - but available in a 32mm size? 

Budget is about £30 per tyre max.

I was thinking maybe Schwalbe Duranos? Are they the closest? I dont really like Gatorskins, as their wet grip seemed terrible.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

gunswick | 7 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe s-one

I just fitted some to my gt grade 105 and they are a great combo. Plus you can run them tubeless with the Alex atd470 wheels that both tiagra and 105 versions come with - its a good winter up grade, lower pressure gives more grip and no tubes means no pinches, sealant in theory means no penetrating punctures.

I ran conti 28 GP4S last winter and got both pinch (75 psi) and penetrating punctures from glass, stones and thorns (4 I think all winter).

GingerNinja1989 | 7 years ago
0 likes

It is possible to get 32mm Four Seasons - I've got some!

I had to order them from Germany. I think they came from BikeDiscount.

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

I ended up settling for Skatorkins, the logic being that in 32mm a bigger contact patch might help wet weather performance. Go on the rims really, really easily.

I'd considered Schwalbe Marathons and Strada Bianches but was mainly put off by reports of them being a monumental PITA to install (weak hands due to RSI mean installation ease was important to me)

Possible Conti alternative is their premium touring tyre (Top Contact II). Handmade like the Four Seasons (and same structure), available in 32.

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

I wasn't saying they're no good, quite the opposite, just that their puncture protection may not be quite as (theoretically) robust as some other similar tyres (e.g. according to a popular tyre-geek website) and if puncture resistance is more important than Crr then it may be worth considering some others as well.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

I wasn't saying they're no good, quite the opposite, just that their puncture protection may not be quite as (theoretically) robust as some other similar tyres (e.g. according to a popular tyre-geek website) and if puncture resistance is more important than Crr then it may be worth considering some others as well.

It's cool, I got that.

Just giving my personal experience with them. There are many other options out there with vastly different characteristics.

In any one year across my fleet, I will ride anything up to 5 different road tyres depending on the bike and application. These vary from 23mm through 25 and 32 to 35. Some with lower rr and better puncture resistance, some the other way round.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've done at least 5,000 commuting miles on Hypers.

One puncture.

To be fair, this was from hitting a pothole in a puddle hard. The tyre was trashed.

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hyper looks a good choice unless perhaps the puncture protection is considered  - everything else seems top notch. Some other light weight "touring" type tyres that might be considered otherwise.

0 likes

Just searched for the Vittoria Voyager Hyper...

32mm on sale at PX for 19.99 each.

Worth every penny in my humble opinion... And in the opinion of this popular tyre- geek website http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/vittoria-voyager

Do it.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes
0 likes

Schwalbe marathon supreme or if your budget is less and you can live with wire beads the Durano in 32mm.

I use 25mm Duranos as my winter tyre on the Audax bike.

I got some Vittoria Voyager Hyper in 35mm from PX for 9.99 a couple of years ago and they are the dogs danglies for commuting (CX bike so loads of clearance). I ended up buying 5 pairs! I wouldn't pay 40 quid a tyre though.

Latest Comments