Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"Cyclists Single Out"

Said a large sign stuck to a post in Lyne by Bike Events, clearly visible to all and sundry on their London-Windsor ride on Sunday.

We weren't on the ride, just using some of the same roads for a club run. As the road was wide enough and relatively straight, plus we were a group of eight, we stayed two abreast. (A shorter, more compact 'vehicle' to overtake.)

I commented on it at the time, not being terribly impressed.

Minutes later, a car leant on its horn as it skimmed past us.

Tamping.

IMO, very irresponsible by Bike Events.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

racingcondor | 7 years ago
0 likes

I find the easiest way to chill out about these things is to misread them while imagining them as the start of a late night TV ad.

Cyclists! Single? Out? Call ...

No longer bloody annoying ;-). Otherwise I totally agree with the other posters.

Leviathan | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cyclists single out, what or whom?

Chez_worldwide | 7 years ago
1 like

Earlier in the year I removed a sign near my house that said "Cyclists keep single file", assuming it to have been put up by a disgruntled and misinformed "non-cyclist". I even had a rant to my wife about the cheek of some people.

Imagine my suprise the next day to see the Manchester to Blackpool ride go past. Obviously put up by the organisers.

Irresponsible. Agreed.

Having said that, watching some of the participants snake all over the road and ride 4 abreast, I should have left it up!

sergius replied to Chez_worldwide | 7 years ago
1 like

Chez_worldwide wrote:

Having said that, watching some of the participants snake all over the road and ride 4 abreast, I should have left it up!

I have to say, I find few things more annoying than cyclists bimbling along slowly, blocking the entire lane preventing other bikes from overtaking (assuming oncoming traffic) - blissfully unaware until you shout.

Funnily enough, it doesn't annoy me in the car, just when I'm on my bike!

ConcordeCX replied to sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

Chez_worldwide wrote:

I have to say, I find few things more annoying than cyclists bimbling along slowly, blocking the entire lane preventing other bikes from overtaking (assuming oncoming traffic) - blissfully unaware until you shout.

best not to get stuck behind Jeremy Vine

jollygoodvelo replied to sergius | 7 years ago
1 like

sergius wrote:

Chez_worldwide wrote:

It's OK, only a month or so until the amateurs go back into hibernation  3

Simon E | 7 years ago
1 like

Quote:

IMO, very irresponsible by Bike Events.

Agree.

And yes, you should be tamping... even more with the driver than those milking the sportive cash cow. But you could mention it via Facebook

Latest Comments