Home

Hi all,
I want to get a new bike and after doing a bit of research and test riding (other options are Merida Scultura 5000, Cannondale CAAD12, Trek Emonda SL6), I am down to two choices, BMC Teammachine SLR03 105 and Giant TCR Advanced 2. What do you think about each option? Please let me know!

BMC Teammachine SLR03 105:
Price: AUD2299 + 3 free servicing. 
Spec: Carbon frame, fork and steer tube, 105 shifters and derailleur, shimano non-series brakes and crankset.
Pros: Very good handling, almost "stick" to tarmac when cornering. Fast acceleration and keen climber.
Cons: Heavy, and unnecessarily huge cassette (11-32), also pricy for this spec.

Giant TCR Advanced 2:
Price: AUD2299+1 free servicing+$460 worth of goodies that I can choose.
Spec: Carbon frame and fork, hybrid steer tube. Full 105 groupset.
Pros: Eager accelerator, and also good spec for the price.
Cons: Handling is too sensitive that it feels a bit all over the place. And there is no more my size in 2016 model, so I have to buy the expensive 2017 model. 

Greatly appreciate any advices on which bike to choose! Cheers!

4 comments

StraelGuy [1555 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm something of a Giant fanboy but given what you say about the handling, I reckon the BMC is more up your street.

Slimie [26 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm not a Giant fanboy at all but bought a TCR Advanced 2 a couple of months ago and I am truly smitten!

I'm 6ft tall, but went for a M/L frame and a longer stem and I don't  the bike isn't at all oversensitive (I'm coming from a 2012 Allez).

The Giant feels like awesome VFM and after nearly a 1000 miles I'd have no qualms whatsoever in recommending one. None!

Good luck with what is a very nice decision to have to make!

-Simon

peted76 [1166 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

A guy I ride with has a teammachine and I ride a TCR, both are excellent choices IMO.

If the handling is a bit on the edge with the TCR for you then go with the BMC. I'd be happy with either.. however I am in the process of buying a new TCR myself... 

peted76 [1166 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

A guy I ride with has a teammachine and I ride a TCR, both are excellent choices IMO.

If the handling is a bit on the edge with the TCR for you then go with the BMC. I'd be happy with either.. however I am in the process of buying a new TCR myself...