Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Adidas Rio GB Cycling Kit

Has anyone bought the GB Adidas kit? It seems to be pretty well discounted just now! Just wondering if it is good quality/fit etc? Plus is it "cool" to wear it....? J

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bloody hell. Don't want to get the car wrong. Very tight range of inoffensive acceptability there. If in doubt, go for a navy, diesel VW Tiguan. enlightened

Mid range of course. Gotta keep that finishing kit in check 

Al__S | 7 years ago
0 likes

Personally I think the design of the Team GB kit is pretty awful- but then it's long been the case. The replica kit for sale obviously isn't the actual competition kit- and I guess that they'll be using UK Sports Insitute kit for that.

As for the snobbishness- to be honest, playing football down the park with your mates in full kit would get you a hell of a ribbing if you're above the age of 10(ish). Cycling isn't that different, the term "full kit wanker" is just as, if not more, prevalent in football and other sports. Football fans wear replica jerseys to spectate, not to participate. The idea that cycling is "different" in this regard is utter shite and is a made up stick to try to beat "Velominati" types with in a reverse reverse reverse (??) snobbery deal. There's a guy around my home town that's regularly to be seen in full movistar kit on a Canyon (not team coloured)- he's perfectly happy, obviously, but whilst he's skinny he does to my mind look like a bit of a tit. I don't know him and I'd I wouldn't approach him in the street to slag him off though.

tritecommentbot replied to Al__S | 7 years ago
1 like

Al__S wrote:

Personally I think the design of the Team GB kit is pretty awful- but then it's long been the case. The replica kit for sale obviously isn't the actual competition kit- and I guess that they'll be using UK Sports Insitute kit for that.

As for the snobbishness- to be honest, playing football down the park with your mates in full kit would get you a hell of a ribbing if you're above the age of 10(ish). Cycling isn't that different, the term "full kit wanker" is just as, if not more, prevalent in football and other sports. Football fans wear replica jerseys to spectate, not to participate. The idea that cycling is "different" in this regard is utter shite and is a made up stick to try to beat "Velominati" types with in a reverse reverse reverse (??) snobbery deal. There's a guy around my home town that's regularly to be seen in full movistar kit on a Canyon (not team coloured)- he's perfectly happy, obviously, but whilst he's skinny he does to my mind look like a bit of a tit. I don't know him and I'd I wouldn't approach him in the street to slag him off though.

Nah. Not even sure what a 'made up stick is' other than extremely awkward use of the english language.

You do not go to football forums and see endless arguments about the wearing of team jerseys when kicking a ball around. And a bit of a ribbing is good natured. Cyclists will actually look down on you for wearing a team jersey, and that's not good natured.

Cycling is by far way more snobby than football and most other other sports. To deny that is 'utter shite' in your parlance.

Yorkshire wallet replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

Cycling is by far way more snobby than football and most other other sports. To deny that is 'utter shite' in your parlance.

Sadly this seems to be true. It also seemed to have infected other realms such as MTB which used to be sort of free and easy, turn up in the wrong type of car/not in a van and you're already off to a bad start. That's before you even start comparing the constantly changing bikes which in 2010 may have won you a downhill race but in 2016 are utter rubbish and you shouldn't be turning up to local spot on it.

Magazines are to blame but I suppose they need to tell you to buy the things that are being adverstised and keeping them afloat. I'm sure they're better but not night and day.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
2 likes

Decent quality and fit I bet on this range. Adidas is hit and miss. Some stuff is really quite good, other stuff is tragic - boxy shoulders, horrible seams etc (ie. supernova cycling kit). 

As to whether it's cool. There is no single piece of cycling equipment or clothing that is universally thought of as cool. I wear stuff that I know people actually loathe. Cyclists will lose sleep agonising over whether something is acceptable or not.

That's the part of cycling that picked up middle-class anxieties and with that comes snobbery and anti-snobbery and on and on. A good example are team jerseys, which are a sign of support in any sport around the world, but in cycling a small and noisy and rather angsty sect feel outraged that a team jersey is worn without having been 'earned'. Bit sad. The only way you earn a replica jersey is by paying for it, you know, with money. I don't wear team jerseys myself, but I have no chip on my shoulder about it when I see other guys out in them. 

Wear what you think is cool, but there's no harm in canvasing opinion. 

I'll give you mine since you asked - I like the Adidas Rio kit fine, but I think previous years were better. Something of the ink blot about the jersey, but the bib shorts are ace looking. Navy and the red lining looks classy.

Besides, the fitter you get and the more guys you drop, the more you can do whatever you like. I always secretly liked Rapha for example but didn't feel right buying it until I was putting out respectable distances and times for my area. That's not how it should be, but it's how I felt, and how you feel personally is what matters. Now I genuinely wear what I like, in lieu of anyone else's opinion, but I wasn't like that starting out. 

Looking for camo shoes at the moment.

That's how I roll.

swimcyclerunfaster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thats my post updated and should now be readable. Sorry, Im a newbie!

fukawitribe replied to swimcyclerunfaster | 7 years ago
0 likes
swimcyclerunfaster wrote:

Thats my post updated and should now be readable. Sorry, Im a newbie!

No worries mate, it's a poor bit of website design that catches quite a few out.

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
1 like

Quote:

Has anyone bought the GB Adidas kit? It seems to be pretty well discounted just now! Just wondering if it is good quality/fit etc? Plus is it "cool" to wear it....? J

It's in the page source, but really wish road.cc would sort this crap out. Having links to comments that actually work would be nice too...

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

You have typed your message in the wrong box, with the result that it is not visible to readers.

Latest Comments