Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Some final thoughts on the whole Bolton Abbey car key/car chase incident

After a fairly rubbish week, in which the whole Bolton Abbey car chase incident has affected my sleep and stress levels, I would like to post a plea to road users on both two and four wheels, and to users of this forum.

Let's stop being judge and jury online, and extrapolating beyond the agreed facts and overwhelming evidence. With regards the conflict between Nick Ahad and the key snatcher, we have two contrasting accounts about what happened. However, let's agree that there are two areas where both accounts concur. They both state that Nick Ahad was driving alongside the key snatcher on a narrow twisty road, shouting out of the window. This doesn't seem like safe and considerate driving. They both state that the key snatcher then took the keys. This seems like an over-reaction when a phone call to the police could have solved things. Beyond that, there is too much speculation. Some forum users seem to assume that Nick Ahad meant to hit the cyclist, whereas the key snatcher himself says in retrospect it could have been plain old dangerous driving that led to him being forced onto the verge. There is a difference between malicious intent and incompetence - see Bez's Beyond the Kerb blog for some great stuff on this.

Let's respect the fact that although there may be grave problems with the way cycling incidents are dealt with by the police and juridical system, such as the notorious Helen Measures/Denisa Perinova incident, there are often limitations to what the police can do. In this incident, where it is a handful of people, each with their own account, with few witnesses and no other evidence such as CCTV or forensics, I don't expect them to spend much time investigating either Nick Ahad, the key snatcher or the red car driver. I don't have a registration number for the red car, there is no CCTV, and my description of the driver isn't much. So unless there is a miracle, it is a poor use of resources to investigate it  in depth.

A better use of resources would be to stick a 20mph speed limit and some "watch out for cyclists" road signs on the road between Bolton Abbey and the A59.

Finally, let's all - people on bikes, cars, and internet forums - stop being so angry. I'll be honest, I have shouted swearwords at drivers who cut me up on my bike and whilst in my car. Many years ago, I threw a water bottle, Mario Cipollini style, at some lads in a boy racer car who threw litter at me. I missed badly - despite the user name, I am no Cipollini. But it has never improved my enjoyment of cycling. It has generally soured my ride completely. The shouting and over-reacting just made everything worse. Can anyone ever say that getting into a shouting match improved their day? So, let's all go a bit Gandhi, and maintain a stoic assertive silence. This whole incident started with a car driver shouting at a cyclist, when then resulted in the car driver losing his car keys, and another car driver trying to knock off a random cyclist - although this last incident was malicious, not incompetence. I don't think this escalation improved anyone's day. Even the key snatcher has stated his regrets at taking the keys. I presume that Nick Ahad has regrets as well. I hope red car driver has regrets (if not, he is actually evil).

I'll be back on my bike at the weekend, weather and family permitting. And I'll cycle back to Bolton Abbey, to exorcise/exercise those demons. I'll take that narrow twisty road, holding my line in primary position where relevant. I might even go out there in the car with the kids for a walk in the woods. If a car comes alongside with the driver shouting, I'll ignore them. If I end up cycling on the verge, I'll just back in the road in primary position. If I am in my car, I won't overtake until safe, and I won't shout at other drivers. I might buy a little camera to go on my bike, just so there is proper evidence of anything that might happen. However, if I get chased by red car man again, I reserve the right to shit myself.

Stay safe, sane, considerate, and most importantly, enjoy the ride.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

the little onion | 7 years ago
1 like

I went out, and the ride was good.

(p.s. a few dickish drivers, but only 2 or so, and these were in towns. Everyone else was perfect)

Stratman | 7 years ago
2 likes

Well said TLO - have a good ride

sswindells | 7 years ago
2 likes

Here here, and at the end of it all, somewhere in the distant future, cyclists and drivers will be able to nod at each other in appreciation and if one does something wrong they can get together and say sorry and hug.  3

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

I think the only real takeaway from this (face it people here are adults and know the ins and outs of casting judgement, yet do so anyway based on their own experience and ability), is that this was an attempt at a witchhunt, which, not only for cycling, but in politics especially, is increasingly common in social media.

It's very hard to come back from someone who has got their story out and fired the first shot on social media, as people latch on that version of events, rail against the apparent antagonist and usually ignore a contrasting version of events as they've already pitched their flag.

That didn't happen here, obviously as it's a cycling site that regularly posts cases of road rage, and the members here were thankfully cynical about Ahad's story.

That doesn't mean that elsewhere the damage hasn't been done. In fact, road.cc may be the only place that has two versions of the incident. Ahad has put a story out there demonising a cyclist for being a road hogging, swerving loon that snatches keys.

Think about that. You can put out all the sugar coated hand-holding happy stuff you want, but this again comes down to a driver who couldn't handle waiting behind a cyclist and not only ended up in an incident over it, took it online and stirred the pot, using his media savvy to do so.

Sure, tell each other to ride safe and don't be angry. Who's actually angry about it. No-one I guess. But you will be the next time a Nick Ahad type harasses you on the road. That's the reality, and the reason they feel they can harass you is because it's still socially acceptable to whine about cyclists hogging the road. 

brooksby | 7 years ago
3 likes

laugh

Latest Comments