Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike cam, gps, cycle computer device

Hi! I'm part of a team that's making a device that's a bike camera, gps, and a cycle computer all rolled into one that mounts your handlebars. It would sync with your smartphone for the routes and would also automatically load the footage from your ride on an app on your smartphone. It would display notifications from your phone, work as a headlight, speakers, and work as a backup battery for things like cell phones.

I was wondering if you guys had any feedback about if you would want to use a product like this or what features that would make or break it for you! We just really want to make a device that's helpful for cyclists and that people would actually want to use.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

gautham.india | 7 years ago
0 likes

Let's see.. Garmin edge 520 + Garmin varia vision lights +garmin varia radar+ Google maps + internet (sim card with data) + a powerbank... Is it possible to make a all in one unit which isn't huge? The closest I have possibly thought this would work was with speedforce on Kickstarter..

ntl1606 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the suggestions! among all the functions (navigation, cycle computer, phone connectivity, internet access, power bank, headlight) which ones do you guys think is the most important feature?

tritecommentbot replied to ntl1606 | 7 years ago
1 like

ntl1606 wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions! among all the functions (navigation, cycle computer, phone connectivity, internet access, power bank, headlight) which ones do you guys think is the most important feature?

Cycle computer is no.1.

Everyone has one though already and with Strava Live Segments.. hard to take off the Garmin. Live Segments is too awesome.

Personally, like a lot of riders, we're still waiting for a basic light and camera combo that can sit on the front mount (using the standard GoPro mount). Camera and lights are both bulky so getting them into one space, using the same battery, is the natural conclusion for many riders. It's been tried, but too low resolution and not very stylish looking. 

If you, or anyone, can put out a high spec cam and light combo, the market is yours for years to come. 

Eric D | 7 years ago
1 like
tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

Big task you've set yourselves. Admirable, but easy to spend a lot of work and effort and end up with an ugly, heavy box full of ageing componentry with clunky, incompatible software. 

For me it would have to look great, and be compatible with Strava. 600g would be my ballpark weight. Make a waterpoof battery compartment and make it easy to switch in a spare battery (all rechargeable of course) which people can take if they want for longer rides. Maybe have a baby internal rechargeable battery so that the device doesn't turn off when you change the main battery. 

Battery weight is killer, but most people don't need it all the time. So it's just dead weight. 

I have an Edge 1000, but still pull my 6+ out and look at Google Maps on the app when a bit bewildered. Says it all really. Just super easy to use, clear and no lag. Maybe you could use Google Maps for the mapping on the device. That'd be class. If you can get turn-by-turn on it that'd be ace too. You can go much faster and safer in a new area with cues. 

Camera/light. Well there's people at that already in a single unit. And it's a bit pants cam wise. Hard to read license plates and you will be judged on that. You'll want 60FPS min and high res. So this won't be a budget device if it's to be decent enough for me to buy.  

Mounting. For me it'd have to sit bang in the middle, out in front of the bars. Like my Edge 1000 on a K-Edge mount. Hate mounting bulky things to the stem or at one side on the bars. 

Good luck, hard thing to pull off!

Latest Comments