Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bit puzzled by pressure gauge

Hi all,

I am a bit puzzled with readings on my pressure gauge for bike tyres. I ride Rubena syrinx 700x23 clincher tyres  (top notch I know hahah) with stated max 115 psi but here's the deal, when I inflate quite a lot (at least that's what my hands are telling me) and when the tyre is hard to touch and quite nice to ride, my pressure gauge tells me it's only 30 psi or 2 bar, 40 psi max at the time. Either I don't know how to measure it, or it is malfunctioning or it should be like that I can't tell. And yes, pressure thingy is separate from the hand pump ( this one http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/T2eC16JHJHYE9nzpcwwGBQILPT)3kw~~/s-l500.jpg )

Hope someone can shed a light 

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

PhilRuss | 7 years ago
0 likes

[[[[[ Pump 'em up, check the pressure with your gauge, then pop to your LBS and ask the staffer to compare your reading with the shop's own p'gauge.  As suggested above, at 40psi, you'd be banging along on the rims....unless you only ever ride at velodromes.

Ronald | 7 years ago
1 like

Pumps aside...

With just 2 bar in a 23 mm tyre you'll almost certainly hit the ground with the rims, if not pinch flat all the time. Bike will also feel very insecure, especially in corners.

I put my 2p on a broken pressure gauge...

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd definately get yourself a track pump, I dread to think about topping of my tyres with a hand pump.

PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

oh, so perhaps the best bet would be a floor pump with a gauge. Thank you

No.

What I think you're saying is "My tyre feels hard when I squeeze it with my fingers, but my pressure gauge only shows 40PSI."

So my response was "Yes, your tyre will feel hard at 40PSI, but you can still get more air into it if you want."

I wasn't recommending a floor pump. But as you mentioned it, it is a much easier way to inflate your tyres!

PennineRider | 7 years ago
1 like

The "pinch test" way of gauging tyre pressure isn't really that accurate. A tyre pumped to 40psi will feel hard between your fingers but you could get another 70psi into it if you wanted to.

I mean, it's possible that your pressure gauge is faulty but I think the above is more likely.

DofeDome replied to PennineRider | 7 years ago
0 likes

PennineRider wrote:

The "pinch test" way of gauging tyre pressure isn't really that accurate. A tyre pumped to 40psi will feel hard between your fingers but you could get another 70psi into it if you wanted to.

I mean, it's possible that your pressure gauge is faulty but I think the above is more likely.

oh, so perhaps the best bet would be a floor pump with a gauge. Thank you

Latest Comments