Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help me choose a new road bike

Hi!

I'm finally ready to "grow out" of my Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid and make the move to a road bike.
I started doing some research but I'm mostly clueless about bikes. I only ride for recreational and weight loss purposes so I don't need the top of the line. For me (I think) comfort is more important than performance - the longer I can go without my back hurting the better. My budget is $1000-1500.
Bikes I've looked at and test driven so far:
1. Fuji Roubaix 2.0 LE
2. Cannondale CAAD12 105

They both seem to have similar components, though for some reason one is getting 2/5 stars on a bike review site and the latter 5/5. Also a $500 price difference.
Anyhow, I was looking to get some advice on which one to get, or possibly if there are other models to consider that would be great as well.
The other piece of information I'm trying to figure out is size. I'm 5 10", and I've been advised to get a size 56, but I'm questioning that advice...

Thanks in advance!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

flyingpitman | 7 years ago
0 likes

I cant comment on either of those 2 bikes.However if your after comfort have a look at the following makes.Eddy Merckx.Dolan,and Tifosi CK7.My racing days are long gone sadly,and I wanted to do long rides with comort.I have had all of these bikes,still have my Merckx and Tifosi.I love both of them.The Tifosi is meant for long rides, Gran Fondo/Audax and has a high head tube.It looks classy too.Wether you get the grey or green.Chicken and Sons make them link below

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p75941/Tifosi-CK7-Gran-Fondo-Veloce-2015-Touri...   shop around though.

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/eddy-merckx-2015-emx-1-shimano-105-road-bi...

sizing chart for Tifosi is here  http://www.chickencyclekit.co.uk/show_product.php?cat=1&p=8864     check out the site as they often have deals on them.

good luck

jonnythepanda | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have found the giant TCR is a hugely underrated bike for long distances. It is not just a race bike it's comfortable for 100 plus miles too. Ridden many century's on mine and never had any comfort issues. 

The defy is also good in its carbon guise but personally it's the TCR for me. 

700c replied to jonnythepanda | 7 years ago
0 likes

jonnythepanda wrote:

I have found the giant TCR is a hugely underrated bike for long distances. It is not just a race bike it's comfortable for 100 plus miles too. Ridden many century's on mine and never had any comfort issues. 

The defy is also good in its carbon guise but personally it's the TCR for me. 

It's an awesome bike, yes, but too racy for the brief here! I would suggest the Defy from that manufacturer. Alternatives such as Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane etc are also supposed to be good. Try some and see what you prefer, and what's got the best discount!

PS some manufacturers better warranty terms and customer service than others - Giant and Trek are apparently very good, through the dealer network who will sort problems for you. Caveat Emporum with the internet only retailers.

Latest Comments