Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cleat setup - odd shaped feet

All

Hope can help or point me direction of a good resource. I have recently replaced my cleats with a like for like type - Shimano SPD-SL "yellow" (6 degrees of float).

Unfortunately I cannot get them to sit correctly. The problem probably stems from the fact that I have feet of roughly the same length and width, but the ball of my right foot is further forward than the ball of my left foot.

Would you:

1: Place the cleats symmetrically

2: Place them where they feel comfortable (so in my case further forward on the right foot).

3: Something else!?

My comfort preference is option 2, but main concern is trying to avoid injury. Still quite new to all this so the biomechanical aspect is beyond me.

I cannot afford a full bike fit at the moment, which I am sure would be the ideal situation, but they don’t come cheap.

Any help appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

zedthegreat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cheers - especially for that jimlangley article - not a site I've come across before. It seems to be one that doesn't treat your feet like a mirror image so might give that a bash.

Adlopa | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you didn't mark your old cleat position in your shoes, then by all means follow the many excellent guides to cleat placement. But  if the cleat position isn't comfortable when you're riding, there's something wrong. So if your feet aren't symmetrical in some way, your cleat positions will need to be sympathetic to that.

So I'd start with a guide, then go for a ride with a hex spanner in your pocket and tweak (i.e. minor changes, not major ones) as necessary until it feels right. Then pay ongoing attention to any aches or pains that could be caused by the 'off' cleat position – foot, ankle, knee, hip and so on – particularly if you were fine with your old cleats. 

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

Google, how to fit cleats cycling weekly

theres a video that explains how to measure your feet and where to fix your cleats, it's a good starting point.

zedthegreat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hope don't mind a bump on a genuine request for help 

Latest Comments