Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spot the foolish error by West Sussex County Council

Here

Why do they not consult local cycling groups before wasting everyone's money?!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

rasalati | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, they have this sort outside Bristol Parkway. You can lock your wheel with a D lock, but you have to make do with a cable for the frame. Needless to say, I only ever leave my cheaper bike there..

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

The versions of these racks with extra metal loops to lock the frame to can be okay.  The ones in Marylebone station, in combination with all the CCTV cameras pointing at the racks appear pretty effective.

I quite like the upper layer.  You can pull out the rack and then it tips downwards so that you can roll your bike down off it.  I would tend to choose the upper racks because it makes it that much more faff and that much more complicated for a thief to access.

Surely the rack in the OP's original picture could be upgraded fairly simply by buying some heavy-duty additional loops and getting a good welder to attach them to the existing unit.  Appreciate it would take a while to do, given the number of racks, but it's not beyond the realms of the possible.

DaveE128 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Several of you got it - I'm surprised that a number of you couldn't see the issue!

The issue is the reason that the bike in the photo (not mine!) has been locked to the side of the unit: there is no way to lock your frame to the rack. Google "how to lock your bike" if you don't see why this is a problem.

The double decker business is fine if mildly inconvenient once the lower rack is full. Similar racks are in use at train stations in the area, but with an extra loop to lock your frame to. They are well used and a reasonable solution where high density parking really is needed.

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

I see what you're saying now.  When I park at the gym - it's just a plain old bike stand that you can lock the top tube too. 

Weird cos they have these all over the place don't they ? 

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

Appppparently -  this is how the double decker bike parks work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPiPUwA8s8

davel replied to fenix | 7 years ago
1 like

fenix wrote:

Appppparently -  this is how the double decker bike parks work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPiPUwA8s8

Yep - they're dead easy to use, and also dead easy to steal from if you can only lock your wheels to the rack.

Needs moar metal O in the middle:

//www.cyclehoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/two-tier-bike-rack.jpg)

- at least that's what I took as the OP's point... what do you lock your frame to?

zedthegreat | 7 years ago
0 likes

I genuinely cannot work out what is wrong with it! Am I daft?

hawkinspeter | 7 years ago
0 likes

Looks like they've installed it backwards - facing towards the wall rather than away from the wall.

(Do I win a prize if I got the right answer?)

brooksby | 7 years ago
0 likes

How do you get your bike down from the top tier if there are bikes on the bottom? Looks a tad overcomplicated, to me...

P3t3 | 7 years ago
1 like

The "facility" is small enough not to upset people: mission accomplished.  

fenix | 7 years ago
1 like

Sorry - never needed to use a rack like that but I've seen similar at Euston - no idea how they work. 

Is it the top tier ? 

cqexbesd | 7 years ago
2 likes

The problem is not the facility but where its located...i.e. in England. In other parts of the world the security would probably be sufficient for most bikes. Still you would think the council would be vaguely aware of the crime rate in their area.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
2 likes

Is that a double decker bike thief magnet?

davel | 7 years ago
1 like

They could have just asked anyone who locks their bike up before doing that... But I'm amazed the manufacturer didn't realise too. Did they not use a firm that makes racks?

Latest Comments