Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike's a write off - What to replace with

Last Monday I was hit by a car on my daily commute and my Cannondale Synapse 105 is a write off (details of the incident below, let's keep this discussion about the replacement bike).

So, my local bike shop has suggested that my Cannondale Synapse 105 Ally (disc, 2016) is a complete write off. As a result I should be set sor an insurance payout of £1,100 (£1,000 for the bike and £100 for the broken Shimano Pedals).

I considered a straight up replacement and just buying a new Synapse again. I love that it's disc as the increased stopping power is much appreciated (although, it didn't save me on this occasion) but for just a few hundred more I can step up to bikes such as:

• Cannondale CAAD 12 at £1,200
  • Giant Propel 2 at £1,299

It's not imperative that my replacement have discs, but I am looking for something that will be possibly lighter or have a more aggressive geometry, hence the two bikes above.

The £1,200 mark though does sit precariously below the next step up though. For as little as £1,500 I can start getting Ultegra instead of 105's.

So, what are your thoughts? Stick with a Synapse, take 1 step up to something in the £1,200 region of step up to Ultegra? Whatever you think - can you please suggest a corresponding bike for that price range.

I've been riding road bikes for about 6 months, but mountain bikes for years (hence my preference for discs I guess). I'm very fit and average 20mph on most rides now and do about 70 - 120 miles per week and often a 40mile ride most weekends.

Roads near me in Virginia Water in Surrey aren't overly smooth which is why I'm quite keen on a set of 25's instead of 23mm's, but am open to any suggestion.

The Incident

On Monday 16th I was hit by a car just outside my office. It was 7:15am and I'd just done 22 miles. I was going around a medium roundabout (single lane) and from a stationary position a car pulled out and hit me in the side. It's been concluded that the driver was at fault, so no issues there. Won't be back on the bike for at least another 3 or 4 weeks though (late June) whilst I recover. No breaks, but a sore shoulder and some weakness in the left arm, most likely from a muscle or ligament tear. Having Physio starting next week.

Thanks in advance all. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Accessibility f... | 7 years ago
0 likes

£1,500 on a bicycle just for commuting seems like overkill to me.  I'd spend about half that and put the rest into a fund for a really nice bike you can use when not commuting.

tritecommentbot replied to Accessibility for all | 7 years ago
0 likes

Peowpeowpeowlasers wrote:

£1,500 on a bicycle just for commuting seems like overkill to me.  I'd spend about half that and put the rest into a fund for a really nice bike you can use when not commuting.

I'd probably do this too. Buy a total brick to commute in, maybe even a fixed gear brick if you could get away with it, cheap one. Use that to build the legs on the commute, then save towards a dream build on the sale season.  

jonnythepanda | 7 years ago
0 likes

Would go for the propel or a TCR personally.

Had a similar thing happen to me on my boardman team in 2014. Trashed the carbon frame, Pringle wheel etc etc. Insurance plus a few grand and I was the proud owner of a TCR advanced sl. Transformed my riding from occasional commuter to century riding in a couple of months.

discs are overrated imho. 

moorsey72 | 7 years ago
0 likes

The caad12 seems to be getting great reviews and looks a lovely bike. I bought a trek emonda sl5 back in january and it a lovely smooth ride, great for climbing and well finished. I got mine for just over a grand in a sale so might be worth a look

Manchestercyclist | 7 years ago
0 likes

how about 

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBVISBRIV22MD/viner-strada-bianca-sram-riva...

has mudguard mounts, disc brakes and can take skinny or wider tyres

EddyP | 7 years ago
0 likes

I am sorry to hear about your accident, as others have said, I too would be tempted to give the CAAD12 a spin.

Mikerammell | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks JollyGoodVelo,

I do like that the CAAD12 runs on 25's as well. I lower the tyre pressure to 100psi and I'm comfortable, I increase to 120psi and I feel that little bit zippier on the road. I'll have a seat on one in a few weeks and see how it feels.

Thanks

Michael

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Similar to my accident a while back.  I'd definitely give the CAAD12 a ride if you liked the Synapse, IME Cannondales do feel a little different to other makes, in a good way.

Mikerammell | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the feedback Stevenagesteve, I'll take a look at the Zener.

stevenagesteve | 7 years ago
1 like

I've just started riding my Zener D2 from Wiggle. A little more aggressive than the Synapse I think (though a long long way from the CAAD12). Comes with 28mm tyres and room for more. The carbon frame is firm and responsive but not buzzy. Worth a look at £1105. It's 105, but really nice and with hydraulic discs.

Latest Comments