Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which bike?

I've been riding for a few years now, but have had a steel light tourer for most of it. I want a lighter more fun bike for the evening ride. So I've been looking at bikes at around 1500 in my LBS.

I have a choice of 4 -
Giant Defy advanced 1
Bianchi Intrepida 105
Cannondale Synapse carbon 105
Trek Domane 4.3

What are your thoughts and which one would you choose?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Daveyraveygravey | 7 years ago
0 likes

Not in your list, but I have  a Propel.  I love the thing, did an Everesting on it last year, 27 hours all told, so comfy enough!  My logic before I bought it was I don't do many 100 mile rides a year, maybe 5 or 6.  I do however do hundreds of 1-2 hour rides, and 50 or so 3 hour rides.  It doesn't have to be as comfy as a sofa for most of the time, but luckily it works ok for me on longer rides.

I found Evans the best place for trying before I bought, you have to book the ride and pay a deposit etc, but they can get pretty much anything they have in the warehouse in any of their stores in under a week.

At the time, there was nothing else that looked as good as the Propel.  It had full Ultegra, and the own brand wheels and tyres have been as good as anything else I could have got at the time.   

Ogi | 7 years ago
0 likes

All similar bikes - endurance category. As people mentioned it here, try them out if possible.

If not, looks/current price can swing it either way...

Vejnemojnen | 7 years ago
0 likes

Synapse.

Velo_Dom | 7 years ago
1 like

its not your list, but the Cannondale CAAD12 105 

Mikerammell | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've just had by Cannondale  Synapse 105 (Ally disc) written off being hit by a car. Loved it! Very stiff. The carbon version can only be better.

I loved that it had the 25 types, gave that bit more comfort. I removed a few spacers for a sportiv and felt nice and aero. Put them back below the stem again for my commute - very comfortable. Good versatile bike.

Considering the Giant Propel series now though as a replacement for me written off Synapse  2 /  1

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

1. See if they'll let you take a test ride. That way you'll know if you like one better than the others.

2. Buy the one you want. You'll enjoy riding it more.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd get the Intrepida Ultegra when it went on sale. Around 30% off.

All those bikes are great btw. Amazing what you can get for a grand these days. No matter what, I'd be buying on sale though and then negotiating down again. 

The Bianchi probably has the worst finishing kit and wheels though. Didn't go though them all to check, but based on past experience that would be my guess.

Latest Comments