Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Friday Fun: Had my first puncture in 9500km this morning...

What's your record?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Grrrr! First deflation in the rear Durano Plus after just ~1,400 miles  2 Thankfully the tyre was only starting to go soft as I arrived at the office.

Park glueless patch applied (this means I still have a spare tube for the ride home) and I removed the tiny stone fragment that cut straight through the so-called 'Smartguard' just off the centre of the tyre. This is where the protection belt should be at its thickest but perhaps the thicker belt of the D+ doesn't really offer much greater resistance after all.

I may swap back to the more compliant Pro4 Endurance tyres I removed for the winter. As well as being nicer to ride (and half the weight) they are also easier to get on and off the rim.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

Topping up - when it drops enough that I notice when riding. This is about every 2 to 3 weeks.

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

On the off chance it helps anyone - todays puncture occured in the same spot as the previous 5mm gash in the tyre - so must have been a pinch of some description.  New tyre ordered  2

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Once per week usually.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

How often do you guys top up your tyres?

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

circa 6,000 miles on Durano 700x25 (HS399, not the current model) was the longest (Shropshire lanes year-round commuting & general riding).

Blizzard Sport 23s did 3,000 without any hissing sounds despite having minimal protection. They were pretty worn by then but rolled nicely and were cheap as chips from Spa Cycles.

Pro 4 Endurance - 2 thorns in quick succession at ~2,500 miles. Not worn out, may put them back on for summer riding - currently on Durano Plus 25s (1,300 miles and no deflations).

I think the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 28s did about 3,500 miles before I swapped them for something faster and more supple. Tough as old boots, shrugged off a 2" blackthorn, a real 'Rule #5' tyre  1

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hmm,

Just had another puncture, conditions were good and no obvious penetrations of the tyre or tube (will investigate properly after work).

The first puncture was a 5-6mm shard of flint which cut a hole in the tyre/tube right in the middle of the tread - it will have put a nice hole in the puncture strip on the Conti GP4000SII tyre.  

I only went out for an hour or so this morning and the tyre was inflated to 90 PSI before I left.

The leak appeared to be in the same spot as the previous hole.  I checked pretty thoroughly for any sharp objects/penetrations in the tyre and found nothing (and was fine riding home the last 5 miles with a replacement tube).  I'm a light rider and have never had a pinch flat in my life, with 90PSI in a 23mm tyre I don't think that's the issue.

Could the previous incision into the tyre (~5mm) cause a pinch-type puncture with the weakened tyre, perhaps with the puncture prevention strip?

The tyres have done just under 3000km, but the wear indicators are still visible.

Anyone experienced similar?

IngloriousLou | 8 years ago
0 likes

None since April 2013.
About 19000km across all my bikes according to Strava.
I ride schwalbe one tubeless on a variety of rims, Easton EA90s get the most use, Giant PSLR Aero get quite a bit too. CX/commuter is on stan's aplha.

The mtb has some maxxis tubeless, forget which ones, but does very few miles in comparison to others.

Yb | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just passed 10k on my Giant defy. I've had 2 punctures out on the road in that distance. Stock Giant tyres.

First puncture was my own fault. Unused to how quickly road tyres lost their pressure I failed to check them and got a pinch flat in my first week of ownership.

The latest one was Friday afternoon. Found a small thorn in the tyre.

Had quite a few broken spokes on this bike though, to the point where I got the wheels replaced under warranty.

But punctures on the road seem a very rare occurrence. When I took a hybrid down the local canal towpath they would happen far more frequently, especially as the seasons changed.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

For me Conti GP 4000S II tyres, cycling around Surrey/Dorking way mostly, plenty of back roads with poor surfaces in the mix.  Just lucky I guess  1

12k miles is impressive though!

fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think you need to name your tyres - and where you are cycling.... 

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Tempting fate here, but I've gone over 12k miles.

Latest Comments