Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre and rim width compatability

I am considering buying some Superstar Components Ultra wide wheels, which have a rim internal width of 19mm. I plan to use 25mm tyres, but a see that both Continental and Schwalbe list the narrowest width tyre for a 19mm wide rim as 28mm. The widest rim they recommend for a 25mm tyre is 17mm. Has anyone used 19mm wide rims for 25mm tyres? Any issues? I am lightweight at only 65kg!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Vejnemojnen | 5 years ago
0 likes

you can even choose 23mm tyres. Those will spread out to cc. 27mm on wide rims.

IMHO, anything wider than 25mm on a 19c rim is not optimal for handling and cornering

mikesm08 | 5 years ago
0 likes

COOL, do you guys think then 25mm clincher will be just fine on this rim?
Anyone know if I could squeese it into my cannondale supersixevo 2014, 52cm?
It might just, according to  Frankierae's pic

chrislee99777 | 8 years ago
0 likes

it is ok

frankierae | 8 years ago
1 like

Hi, completely agree with Dave about the compatibility of 25mm tyres on larger internal rim widths.

I've always considered the ETRTO recommendations baffling. Imagine how unstable cornering a 37mm tyre would be on a 17C rim (a recommended pairing), whilst  a 23mm tyre doesn't even make the cut! 23mm on 17C is a very common pairing when buying a new bike. Cervélo S5, anyone?

I'm a 95kg Clydesdale and recently upgraded from Fulcrum Racing Zeroes (15C) to HED Ardennes+ (20C) for exactly that extra width and tyre volume. I use 25mm Conti GP4000S and they were decidedly light bulb shaped on the Zeroes. Squirmed around a lot at 85PSI (my preferred pressure for comfort, since the rims themselves are rock hard).

Now on the Ardennes+ the tyres have super straight sidewalls. I've settled on 70PSI after a few months of trying and find it to be really comfortable, yet less squishy while cornering. There's less of a whirring noise while riding too, which I suspect means less deformation. Certainly the setup feels faster (however I won't offer that assumption). A sidewall aligned with the direction of load will support the load better of course.

I actually feel that 20C is perfect for a 25mm tyre

The only downsides I've found are a) the tyres are so wide now I have about 1mm clearance from the chainstays (frame dependent ofc), and b) the Ultegra brake calipers only just open far enough for the rims and I get the slightest bit of brake rub. Currently waiting for a bit of wear to make more room  1

Hope that helps!

pcaley | 8 years ago
0 likes

OK - thanks for that I now understand why they are all saying the same thing. I must admit I had not anticipated that an ISO standard would recommend tyre sizes for given rim widths.

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

they're correct in that ISO 5575 covers rim and tyre combinations and in theory a 28mm tyre should be the minimum for a 19mm internal width rim:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_5775

having said that, i've used 25mm tyres on 19mm and 21mm internal width rims for thousands of miles with no issues at all, and i'm 91kg. so i don't personally think it's much of an issue

Latest Comments