Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless wheelsets

Coming from a Mtn bike background I love the benfits of tubeless wheels  BUT when I tried it on a pair of tubeless compatible shimano ultegra wheels fitting the tyre was a nightmare.   Have moved onto a new bike and looking to upgrade the wheels and wondered if anyone know if the Zipps are any easier to fit tyres to?

Thanks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zipp-Course-Clincher-Through-Wheels/dp/B00VVHVJE...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes

...and people say that tubs are a faff!

Jimthebikeguy.com replied to srchar | 7 years ago
0 likes
srchar wrote:

...and people say that tubs are a faff!

They are. But tubeless isnt. I did 4 wheels in 30 mins this afternoon. The first time you do it, you learn the knack. Afterwards its all gravy.

adamthekiwi | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can't add anything meaningful, but my new Hunt wheels have arrived and are going to be fitted with Schwalbe Pro Ones, so I'll report back. Unfortunately, it will be in a fortnight, as I'm stuck in India with work, and nothing but a hotel gym static bike to keep me going...

katywu | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just fitted Schwale Pro One (25-622) tyres yesterday to my Shimano tubeless wheels.......very easy to fit, used soapy liquid around bead, no tyre levers required. Not been out on them yet but seem to be holding pressure OK, no sealant used as yet.

coops1967 replied to katywu | 7 years ago
0 likes

katywu wrote:

Just fitted Schwale Pro One (25-622) tyres yesterday to my Shimano tubeless wheels.......very easy to fit, used soapy liquid around bead, no tyre levers required. Not been out on them yet but seem to be holding pressure OK, no sealant used as yet.

I'd definitely put some sealant in there - 30ml is fine. Get a valve core removal tool and it's as easy as... I had a small hole in the rear tyre that self sealed, and a larger hole that was ok to ride on after being plugged - and after a fill up with a bit more sealant (it was in the rear tyre, which I'd put in less than 30ml originally due to overfilling the front first tyre I fitted,,,)  that plug is now fully sealed and tyre hols pressure overnihgt etc same as new.

coops1967 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I just moved to tubeless with my new bike - it came with Stans Notube Grail wheels.

Changed the inner tubed knobbly tyres to Schwalbe Pro One 28mm without too much drama - the tyres went on the rim ok, although I did carefully use a tyre lever for the last bit (note these Schwalbe tubeless were actually much easier to fit than a previous non tubeless set of Challenge Strada Bianca tyres which were a very expletive filled fit).

The tubeless on the Stans rims inflated fine, even without any soapy liquid - just a regular stand pump. (Stans wheels are meant to be notably 'easy' for tubeless mind you).

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe pro ones are a doddle to fit,  warm up the tyre first, leaving it hanging in the sun for 30 mins.  Mine were fitted without levers.

jdryan86@ymail.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

Barry

I would be interested in how you get on if you do buy them. I bought the new Schwalbe One Pro tyres (25c) about 2 months ago. I waited an age for them to come into stock as they not readily avalible just yet it seems. I fitted to my tubless ready rims, installed new rim tape everything. Fitting was fine no issues at all. Very easy. (I use soapy water around the tyre).

What happened in my case was the front tyre was perfect. However, the back tyre did not seat correctly on the RIM. For example you follow the tyre bead around and part of the bead dissapeared into the rim if that makes sense so the bead line was not true and the tyre had a low spot so to speak.

I fitted twice having the same problem even swapped front with back and also took to LBS who was also unable to seat correctly. I am not sure if it was deffective tyre or something with my rim but my current clinchers sit fine. I sent tyres back and was refunded and continuing to run standard clinchers with tubes but interested to know if it was just me. But to answer your question fittied with ease and no problems like you hear on forums. 

fukawitribe replied to jdryan86@ymail.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

jdryan86 [at] ymail.com wrote:

What happened in my case was the front tyre was perfect. However, the back tyre did not seat correctly on the RIM. For example you follow the tyre bead around and part of the bead dissapeared into the rim if that makes sense so the bead line was not true and the tyre had a low spot so to speak.

I fitted twice having the same problem even swapped front with back and also took to LBS who was also unable to seat correctly. I am not sure if it was deffective tyre or something with my rim but my current clinchers sit fine.

If you swapped the front and rear, and the (originally wonky) rear fitted perfectly on the front rim then it may point to something slightly off with the rear rim. Tubeless tyres are rather more fickle with rims and bead hooks, understandable as that's what gives the necessary security at road tyre pressures, so perhaps they're exposing a small variance that the clinchers are masking / aren't sensitive to - dunno to be honest, but it's a thought.

BarryChuckle | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've just ordered some new wheels and have the same dilemma - whether to go tubeless or not.

The Schwalbe One Pro tyres are meant to be relatively easy to fit, so I was thinking about giving them a go.

Anyone else any comments?

Latest Comments