Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Next upgrade You will make to your RoadBike(s)

I have an '06 Trek 1200, with Tiagra hubs and some Alex wheels.

Pretty bombproof 32 hole and serviced regulary.
Will be chucking the original tyres now (25mm Select) for some 23mm Conti Sports I have lying around to see if it rides any better before a cheap but better wheel package. (I have overtaken riders on bling wheels at the start of Downhills from just using decent grease on the bearings.)

My Boardman will be getting Rival brakes but not sure about cranks. Might leave it.

Whats your ideal upgrade on your bike/wishlist soon?

New bike? Bars, Stem or wheels?

Everyone seems to have nice mechs etc but average wheels?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Zaskar | 14 years ago
0 likes

@James-thanks for the offer (I read your post too late...) Delivered today drool. Looking at my winter trainer-inheritd the ok-ish the Tektro 580s from the bored'man.

Was wondering why I couldn't keep up with friends uphill last year as they were on 50/34 12-27s!?  20

I've been using 53/39 11-25 which is finally worn. So getting a 12-27 cassette. (Ok you can't beat training and getting lighter of the beer gut)  4

The 07 105 was great, interesting to read reviews on the latest incarnation!

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

yup: new 105. and no, you don't get a hollowglide chainset. but you do get the new stylee STIs, albeit with alloy levers

0 likes

I'm going to be busy upgrading my Genesis from Ultegra to, erm, 105  1

Fringe replied to dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

I'm going to be busy upgrading my Genesis from Ultegra to, erm, 105  1

is that the new 105?

does it have that shimano 'hydrofromed look'?

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

new additions, well just got me a new SRAM Rival gruppo to replace an old and well used Ultegra, so new its still in the box. nice.  4

ibl | 14 years ago
0 likes

Zaskar, like you I have 25c (Schwalbe Marathon Plus) and am upgrading to 23c (Durano Plus). £60 and that's the 2010 budget used up!

Lighter tyres (e.g. Conti Sports) don't last a second hereabouts. Flints all over the road.

I am reminded that the best, cheapest way to save weight is to lose it from the rider.

0 likes

the max sprocket size for shimano road mechs is often stated as 27T, but i've used MTB 11-28s without any problems in the past

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

What does Shimano say the limit is? I'd be very surprised if an 11-28 didn't work.

SRAM (who do an 11-28 cassette) and Campagnolo 11-speed (who do a 12-29) both only have one size of rear mech.

Even if there are problems, they are only likely to happen in gear combinations you wouldn't use anyway.

Old Cranky | 14 years ago
0 likes

Also thinking about fitting a Shimano 7900 11-28 cassette to my sportive bike. I'm off to the Alps to tick off a few more climbs soon - Glandon, Izoard, Alpe d'Huez - and the 28 sprocket might come in handy.

The bike has Ultegra 6803 groupset with the long cage rear mech so I think it will fit despite the Shimano website claiming it is not compatibile.

Any views?

stuke | 14 years ago
0 likes

Just adorned my TT bike with an FFWD disc wheel last weekend and my road bike with some Hutchinson Fusion 3 tyres, big improvements on both.  1

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

Old Cranky...you have seen the malaysian ebayer too then? He seems to be making good money!

I think my next upgrade for the felt road bike will likely be either ultegra 6700 or a move to sram red.

Mor my orbea ora tt bike Id like to get a hed jet rear disc or a pro rear disc.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

A band on 105 front mech would be good so I can re-assemble my bike from the large pile of bits on the office floor… what's wrong with the old front mech? Don't ask  1

Fringe replied to Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

A band on 105 front mech would be good so I can re-assemble my bike from the large pile of bits on the office floor… what's wrong with the old front mech? Don't ask  1

i've got an old band-on RX100 (28.6mm, but i'd have to check) if your interested?

jamesfifield | 14 years ago
0 likes

If you would like, I have a set of silver Rival brakes from a few years ago that I took off and haven't used since. Drop me a line if you fancy them...

James

Old Cranky | 14 years ago
0 likes

C50 Dura Ace wheels for me - just trying to find the best price (other than the Malaysian ebayer).

Latest Comments