Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What Helmet??

Looking at getting a decent helmet. I do not race and am not a professional. I do circa 100 - 150m per week at about a 16 - 17mph average.

Looking to upgrade from a simple old helmet and want a decent helmet to last. Chain Reaction are doing some great prices at the moment and I have seen the Kask Infinity for £99 and Evans have the Specialized S Works Evade for £128.

I wasn't looking for an aero helmet but these look for the money. Are these overkill for normal road riding or would you recommend one of them?

If not what would you recommend?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

tigersnapper | 8 years ago
0 likes

Kask Mojito is really comfy and easily adjustable.  Tweeks have these on offer at the moment at about £60 (half price)

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Kask. V comfy, light.

Beware the aero helmet that makes you look like a prick (literally) - depends on your head/ face shape

risb98 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cotton caps are regulary recomended on here apparently they have magic powers which make riders ride much safer and keep cars away. Helmets however are like accident magnets. My self, Lazer helium ,i only wear it for cross racing (probably why i have fallen off so much) The helmet Did NOT stop the rock from fracturing my scull, i would have been fine!! 

felixcat replied to Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Beefy wrote:

Cotton caps are regulary recomended on here

Wow! I  once mentioned banging my head whilst wearing a Festina cap and living through the experience, but I did not know anyone else had reported this! This needs looking into.

On the other hand we get lots of foam wearers claiming they would have died or been rendered quadraplegic if it were not for a half inch of expanded plystyrene.

Cyclespeed Tours | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the Kask Protone. Excellent.

Super comfy, very light, and it would quite aero too. Great compromise.

Simontuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Or wait a couple of months as there are at least two new aero lids coming out that I've seen. Quite fancy the Bollé

hucko003 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would recommend the Louis Garneau Course helmet - it beat the Evade and Giro Synthe in a recent aerodynamic test I think on Road.cc but it might have been on Bike Radar or Cycling Weekly. It's a really comfortable helmet and there is plenty of ventillation. The design also doesn't look too aerodynamic so you won't stick out. 

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/course-helmet-ec049867

If you want to go for the most aero helmet, the helmet that won the test was the Bontrager Ballista. 

Mendes.pms | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought the Infinity a week ago and can't fault it. Very comfortable and adjustable. Don't really know whether the lack of vents will be an issue on the hotter months but considering the weather in the UK!...
Given the price and the aerodynamics I believe it's great.

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at the Ranking F1 .@Merlin cycles.They make the Assos Jingo lid.There light and have plenty of vents in them.They also have an insect guard on the inside which is a nice touch.

https://www.merlincycles.com/ranking-f-one-road-cycling-helmet-70667.html

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-jingo-g1-road-helmet/

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
1 like

I really like the Evade - it's the only helmet I've ever tried that is actually the same shape as my head.  Everything else is really 'round'.

dunnoh | 8 years ago
2 likes

I have a Kask Mojito.  Dead light and dead comfy.  However when I came off and smashed my cheek bone it didnt offer much protection.   Im going to go for a POC helmet next as they stick out quite a bit and looks like it could give better protection

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a kask infinity. My review is, its a great helmet, sleek, light and the vent has a positive but easy to use action.
I got it for time trials, then flip up the vent when riding generally. What I have found is that you don't really need to use the main vent. The air flows well over your head cooling you down nicely. The forehead sweat band is generous and stops sweat from entering eyes. If you do become overly hot, maybe on hot summer afternoons then the vent does work as you can definitely feel extra air passing over your head, just haven't needed to use it, yet.

Check several websites as you can some colours that you might prefer elsewhere that evans don't have. I bought a white and red version then saw after it arrived a black and green which looked good aswell

Shades | 8 years ago
3 likes

Really like my Kask helmet (Mojito); great fit and works well with a Buff underneath if it gets cold.

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Aero vs Ventilated?  

Check out the reviews?

What colours are looking at?

I'd go with the Spesh and a skull cap? but the Kask has that flap for stopping cold air - as long as this doesn't rattle or shuts itself - could be great.

Latest Comments