Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

White shoes Black socks Black shoes White socks

Time to stir up some controversy on the board. Where do you stand (literally) on this unending and polarizing debate?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Fringe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Socks wise black or white is fine with white shoes, black shoes is a no go, JonnyOversocks (black) for inclement weather, or just clean your shoes.

twinklydave | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't comment very often on the forum, but this is important.

White > White

Black > Black

Silver/Grey > Black

Euro Flouro > Similarly gaudy 

If you can keep the detailing similar as well (white with subtle black stripe flowing from shoe to sock etc): bonus points.

I'll not go into sock length here. Not enough space/time yes

Martyn_K | 8 years ago
0 likes

Black shoes and black socks for me, unless.

I have a pair of socks to match the colour of the jersey i'm wearing. I will generally buy a jersey and look to buy a matching pair of socks at the same time. I the same vain of matching, i will not wear a pair of white mitts without wearing a white jersey, which would of course be matched with a white pair of socks. This combo only gets about half a dozen outings a year due to the british summer though.!

Appearance on the bike is a major factor for me and is all part of the preparation to ride. I won't even start a ride with a dirty bike, cleaning it post Saturday ride fresh for a Sunday ride. It's just the way i am but i don't scoff at others who don't colour match to the same extent.

userfriendly | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looking fantastic adds at least 1.5 mph to your average speed. It's science!

BBRAP wrote:

If I'm wearing longs (black) I wear black socks (white or silver shoes depending on how cold it is, one set are more vented than the other). White socks with shorts, don't have any silver socks but if its warm enough for shorts I'm wearing white shoes anyhow.

Sensible approach, this.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
2 likes

I have the new shimano black&white shoes so split down the middle on that one (would go all white if I could get giro empires to fit)
Blacks socks for training and white for racing...
I do give a shit how I look on the bike because, for me, that is an important part of the while cycling thing...surely everyone checks out their reflection in shop windows as they ride past- or is that just me :')
Also when I feel good about how my bike and I look I'm more confident/motivated to work harder.

BBRAP | 8 years ago
0 likes

If I'm wearing longs (black) I wear black socks (white or silver shoes depending on how cold it is, one set are more vented than the other). White socks with shorts, don't have any silver socks but if its warm enough for shorts I'm wearing white shoes anyhow.

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

I went running today wearing purple brooks and grey brown socks because they were all I could find. I freely admit this was a disgusting combo and if there were "rules" for running I would be breaking them. I do not care and would do the equivalent on the bike. I'm with the kaner; just ride.

The _Kaner | 8 years ago
3 likes

any colour of socks/shoes combo- go ride.

*edited* I had red/black (dennis the menace) hooped socks on last Saturday....

*edited...again*....one could always invest (or perhaps somehow obtain a FREE pair on Mondays...if road.cc started to give freebies away again on a regular basis...) in a very smart pair of road.cc argyle flavoured foot coverings...and they would *I'm sure* go with any colour of disco slippery cycling shoes of one's choice...

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thursday I wore red socks with white shoes, today black shoes and Lion of Flanders socks.

Latest Comments