Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's wrong with bicycle helmets?

Hi all,

Well, after a few years of messing around on a mountain bike, i've taken the plunge and shelled out a nice £800 on my first serious bike, the Genesys Croix De Fer 20, which i'll commute and play on each day.
I get this on Monday, so i've been doing a lot of research on staying safe on the road. The articles i've found are fantastic, and there's a wealth of information which I feel will help me stay safe and keep others safe out on the road.

HAANNGG OONN...

http://bicyclesafe.com/helmets.html

Then I found this article, which has thrown me. Don't wear a helmet? Really?
As a previous motorcyclist, this is sacrilege to me.
The writer makes excellent points... I'm just, not sure...

What do you more seasoned riders think of this?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

61 comments

pjclinch | 8 years ago
0 likes

What's wrong with them? intrinsically there is nothing wrong with a bike lid, but the problems are all the perceived baggage that come along with them, notably failure to realise that:
- cycling as transport is not particularly productive of crashes or head injuries
- cycle helmets can only be expected to mitigate *minor* injuries in low injury collisions
So if you're, for example, in a peloton where crashing is very common, and you'd be expected to get back on if you possibly could with a minimum of delay, they're probably a pretty fair idea. But actually not many of us are doing that.
Given that the biggest cause of brain/head injury is trips and falls, if you're wearing one on a bike "just in case"/"it's only common sense"/"you can't be too careful"/"safety first!"/"it might save my life" etc. etc. then you really ought to be wearing one to walk places. Especially if you ever use stairs or bathrooms with hard, occasionally wet floors.

If someone falls down the stairs or slips in the bath and brains themselves (as they frequently do) then that's a shame, and shit happens, but if you fall off a bike and brain yourself (not especially more likely for those not particularly pushing the boundaries) then it's madness not wearing a helmet and you've only yourself to blame etc.. Yes, you might fall off a bike and hit your head and it would hurt less with a lid on, but the same goes for trips and falls when on foot. It doesn't make any sense to use completely different trains of logic for similarly risky situations.

Bikebikebike | 8 years ago
0 likes

The main reason to wear one is to make sure you get a full payout awarded in court if someone runs you over.

Wear one if you're pushing your cycling skills, it's icy or you're riding home pissed from the pub. If you fall off then a helmet might help.

People who think it will help if they're hit by a car or a lorry are a bit daft.

FluffyKittenofT... | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm now off to a computer/tech forum to establish the prevailing view on whether a Mac or PC is better, and whether Android is better than iPhone.

rggfddne | 8 years ago
0 likes

The obvious test would be to ride similar routes twice, once with and once without.

If you felt noticeably safer with a helmet... lean towards NOT wearing one. At least until you've given a brutally honest appraisal of your own behaviour when exposed to different perceived levels of risk. And I mean honest, not "I've given it ten second's thought and decided to be a smug twat online about it".

What I find helped is reading up on "safety engineering". That's a big subject, but to sum up the relevant bit to here:

PPE is ALWAYS a last resort.

That doesn't mean it isn't a resort, or that it won't help. It means that something has gone very, very wrong with your decision making if you've considered it before literally any other measure, including, in this case, staying at home.

If there's a reason for anti-helmet bile, it's that. I'd like some of the evagelists to take a fucking look at the bodies crushed beneath a talk who believed them when they said "safety is wearing a plastic hat". Please, just get some perspective on what PPE can achieve before you make the decision.

WiznaeMe | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't think that people should be made to wear helmets I just want to know if the helmet haters are sponsored by Vidal Sassoon.  22

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Godwin's Law is all very well, but, re helmets, I propose a new law to predict how many posts there have to be before the contents become hysterical.

Mungecrundle | 8 years ago
0 likes

You think that's bad, just wait until he sees the thread on hi viz!

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

There's a hell of a lot you can do to be safe while riding on the road before worrying about whether you should wear a cycle helmet (which is not comparable with a motorcycle helmet so please put aside any assumptions).

If you feel happier wearing one then go ahead.

If you prefer not to have one on your head then that's fine too.

Anyone who chastises you or lectures you for choosing either of the above options is a complete fool. You'd be better off ignoring them.

brooksby | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dear road.cc sysadmins - please lock this thread off, now, thanks

Scoob_84 replied to pjclinch | 8 years ago
0 likes
pjclinch wrote:

What's wrong with them? intrinsically there is nothing wrong with a bike lid, but the problems are all the perceived baggage that come along with them, notably failure to realise that:
- cycling as transport is not particularly productive of crashes or head injuries
- cycle helmets can only be expected to mitigate *minor* injuries in low injury collisions
So if you're, for example, in a peloton where crashing is very common, and you'd be expected to get back on if you possibly could with a minimum of delay, they're probably a pretty fair idea. But actually not many of us are doing that.
Given that the biggest cause of brain/head injury is trips and falls, if you're wearing one on a bike "just in case"/"it's only common sense"/"you can't be too careful"/"safety first!"/"it might save my life" etc. etc. then you really ought to be wearing one to walk places. Especially if you ever use stairs or bathrooms with hard, occasionally wet floors.

If someone falls down the stairs or slips in the bath and brains themselves (as they frequently do) then that's a shame, and shit happens, but if you fall off a bike and brain yourself (not especially more likely for those not particularly pushing the boundaries) then it's madness not wearing a helmet and you've only yourself to blame etc.. Yes, you might fall off a bike and hit your head and it would hurt less with a lid on, but the same goes for trips and falls when on foot. It doesn't make any sense to use completely different trains of logic for similarly risky situations.

Since you mentioned trips and falls whilst walking is more likely to happen than whilst cycling, does this stat take into account that way more people walk than cycle. I'd be surprised if the %age of head injuries for total miles walked by everyone is higher than the %age of total miles cycled by everyone.

vonhelmet replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 8 years ago
0 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

I'm now off to a computer/tech forum to establish the prevailing view on whether a Mac or PC is better, and whether Android is better than iPhone.

Are you working your way up to arguing about the existence of God?

FluffyKittenofT... replied to Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

Since you mentioned trips and falls whilst walking is more likely to happen than whilst cycling, does this stat take into account that way more people walk than cycle. I'd be surprised if the %age of head injuries for total miles walked by everyone is higher than the %age of total miles cycled by everyone.

Should it be 'by total miles' rather than 'by time spent in activity'? And surely you'd have to distinguish between things like walking on a flat surface and walking up and down stairs, walking in the snow and in good weather, etc?

Come to that, if just reducing total injuries is the aim, why does it have to be a ratio at all?

Anyway, just wear a helmet for everything, all the time. Better safe than sorry...if it saves one life...etc.

hylozoist replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

Don't be silly. We know that Android vs iPhone is way more controversial than the existence or otherwise of God.

In other news, I can certify that the tyres on a Genesis Croix de Fer are made of cheese. My CdA had the same ones. I used Panaracer Flataway kevlar liners for a while which improved the situation a lot, but eventually changed to some more commuting-friendly tyres anyway.

Oops. Posting after Godwin invocation. Sorry.

FluffyKittenofT... replied to vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

A just God would have locked this thread by now. So clearly he doesn't exist!

levermonkey replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 8 years ago
0 likes
vonhelmet wrote:

A just God would have locked this thread by now. So clearly he doesn't exist!

Read your Bible! God gave man free will.
Wear a helmet; don't wear a helmet, God is happy (or not) either way.

tomturcan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Haven't read the thread yet but I'm an ex-motorcyclist too and very concerned how poor the EC standard is for cycle helmets. This Swedish company appears to put in a bit more effort:

http://www.pocsports.com/en/14/wheels-helmets

Happy and safe riding!

Wookie | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm just wondering if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck is it a troll?

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's a comfort to learn that drivers are vigilant enough to check whether we are wearing a helmet before deciding how close to pass us.

giskard | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've nothing to add to this helmet debate, except to congratulate PizzImperfect on an excellent choice of bike

richardc412 | 8 years ago
0 likes

i always wear a helmet whilst riding wether that be on or off road for the simple reasoning that id rather be wearing one and not need it than need one and not be wearing it

brooksby | 8 years ago
0 likes

"What's wrong with bicycle helmets?" -  24  24  24 - who would seriously post that question on any cycling website/forum???

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

After banging my head into the back of a lorry, i'll be sticking to wearing a helmet. There's no proof to suggest i would not have survived the accident had i not been wearing a helmet, but circumstantial evidence from the golf ball swelling to my head and the decompression on my lid suggests that i could have been worse off had i not been wearing the lid at the time. There's also a case that riding skills and decision making was not on par at that moment in time prior to the collision. I can blame the lorry driver for close over take and then sudden breaking all i want, but it was my decision to try and get behind the back of him for a free ride.

antigee | 8 years ago
0 likes

"To helmet, or not to helmet - the choice is yours."

I moved to Australia (a choice) but the law says I have to wear a helmet - even for a 5 minute ride to the nearby shops or for an amble on a car free shared path - last week was in New Zealand and rode for a few hours on traffic free trails with some road sections - averaged less than one meeting per hour with a vehicle - the possibility of me falling off through operator error existed but to be honest on the type of terrain it was pretty near zero - walking back to the hotel room from the bar had a higher chance of injury.

I often choose to wear a helmet when I believe it will mitigate some injury - when mountain biking I can be prone to misjudging stuff.
On the road I choose to wear one not because it "will make me safer" I can't recall when last fell off a road bike.
I wear a helmet because the actions of other road users potentially endanger me and there is a possibility that wearing a helmet will mitigate some injury.
There is a big distinction between mitigating injury and making an activity safe - I know what would make road cycling safer for me and others and it isn't wearing a helmet. The only reason to have a helmet debate in the UK is to push the topic where it belongs and that is way down the cycling safety agenda.

I recall discussing allowing children to ride to school with parents in the UK and nobody told me they thought it would be safe if the kids wore helmets. They talked about fast traffic, narrow roads, poor junctions, lack of segregated cycleways, bad driver attitudes.
Can't think of a single survey that has shown that not having access to helmets is a barrier to more people cycling.

Must be Mad | 8 years ago
0 likes

To helmet, or not to helmet - the choice is yours.

I would suggest thinking about where and how you are intending to ride your bike, and work from there.

Personally I choose to wear one, but then I tend to zip up and down country lanes at high speed (will zip down at any rate). To me, wearing a helmet doesn't bother me at all, and feels natural. I try not to take to much risk, and hope never to test out the helmets protection - but you never know when a pothole might have your name on it, or get caught out by an unseen oil slick, or suffer a mechanical failure etc, etc.

Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes

is not wearing a helmet a deliberate act of self harm?  39

Paul J replied to Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Beefy wrote:

Given the data and science available, no, not at all.

However, there are many people who don't understand science and don't understand statistics/risk, either through a lack of education (not everyone has the opportunity - though it's still possible to self-educate and some of the brightest people I know have little formal education); or they just are susceptible to emotional arguments (some people just are, even despite education that should inform them otherwise); or, finally, some people are just thick (including some very well educated people).

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how it seems to me.  3

Not covered: some people have an agenda, for professional or emotional or whatever reasons.

Toro Toro replied to Paul J | 8 years ago
0 likes
Paul J wrote:

However, there are many people who ... don't understand statistics

Fair play, I about laughed up a hipbone there.

CygnusX1 replied to Paul J | 8 years ago
0 likes
Paul J wrote:
Beefy wrote:

Given the data and science available, no, not at all.

Hmm, given the smiley at the (bell?) end of his comment, Beefy may have been making a smutty innuendo (or that could just be me).

Northernbike replied to Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Beefy wrote:

no but carrying on riding a bike when you keep falling off might be

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

Regardless of what this that or the other Uni paper says i'll always wear one as i've seen the mess a road makes to your head when you slide along it.

Pages

Latest Comments