Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Autumn\Possibly-Winter Jersey

I know it's still August but having kids I'm an early riser and out the door pretty early for my rides. It's starting to feel quite fresh and it's only going to get colder from now.

I'm heading into my first autumn of road biking and am looking for an all round jersey to get me into the colder months.

I'm looking at the Castelli Gabba but can't decide whether I neeed to go for the convertible or whether the short sleeve with arm warmers will be enough to get me through. I know in the deep winter I'm going to need to layer up and possibly add a jacket but will I get away with the short sleeve or should I just invest in the convertible? Anything else as good as the Gabba?

I tend to go for short(ish) sharp rides so the body warms up quite quickly once I get going.

Cheers
James

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

jameshay | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ended up going for the long sleeve Gabba. Got it on wiggle on Sunday for £118. Yesterday I checked and the price had gone up to £165. Result!

Thanks for the advice. J

Yogic Cyclist | 8 years ago
0 likes

For this price this is a no brainer.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-sanremo-2-thermosuit/

BBB | 8 years ago
0 likes

Endura fs-260 Jetstream jersey

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, not quite sure now - leaning towards jacket now you bring it up. I've not really found the Gabba makes me sweat tbh, I tend to run fairly cold anyway.

There were a number of occasions I was still wearing the Gabba (without a base layer) as late as April this year - I just find it incredibly versatile. Of course I don't have the Alpha to compare with.

I'm guessing Alpha = cold but dry, Gabba = wet?

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

My LBS tried to sell me a Alpha and a Gabba, I think the Alpha is better when it's very cold - but I certainly didn't feel like I needed it last winter. I even got caught in a snow storm at one point, and the Gabba + LS base layer were sufficient for my core temperature (I had on sealskinz gloves + a neck thingy and hat under my helmet of course).

Don't forget your legs as well, I upgraded my DHB bib tights for some Castelli ones with windstopper etc (can't remember which model) which was a very nice upgrade when the temperature plummeted.

pauldmorgan replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

My LBS tried to sell me a Alpha and a Gabba, I think the Alpha is better when it's very cold - but I certainly didn't feel like I needed it last winter.

Was this the Alpha jacket or jersey?

I have both - the jersey is more versatile and good between 4 and 12 C as the back material is lighter. The internal zippable front allows you to tune it for the conditions without having the front flapping. In that respect it was better than the Rapha winter jersey and the Rapha hardshell jacket which is really only for when it's proper chucking it down.

The alpha jacket didn't get a lot of wear as it wasn't that cold a winter where I am.

I find the Gabba sweatier but if the rain is more set-in that's a price worth paying although if it's torrential and cold I'd go for a long sleeve jersey and a jacket like the pocket liner or Rapha rain jacket as the Gabba will let water through eventually.

pauldmorgan | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Castelli Alpha jersey is great. I have a Gabba convertible as well and that's good for when you know it's going to mainly be raining but don't want to wear a waterproof jacket. The Alpha is great for cooler days (and cold ones with a baselayer) where rain is less likely (it'll shrug off a shower) as the ventilation and breathability is better. It was my favourite autumn/winter/spring jersey last year.

giff77 | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's glorious here in Norfolk. I'm disappointed that I couldn't bring my bike with me!

climber | 8 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Gabba long sleeve. With a merino t-shirt in not so cold weather and long sleeve merino when it's really cold.

farrell replied to climber | 8 years ago
0 likes
jamesshay wrote:

I know it's still August

I wish I had worn my Gabba this morning.

Summer my arse.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

For me the long sleeve is fine, the only time I use arm warmers is in the summer months when I go out early and it's not going to be properly warm.

The Gabba is so good at wicking that the long sleeve does me just fine.

jameshay | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi All

Thanks for the responses. I suppose the question is do really I need a long sleeve jersey or is the short sleeve with arm warmers sufficient? (already have a pair of arm warmers).

I was thinking the Gabba convertible would be ideal as I get the best of both worlds but I could be just spending a load of money on versatility I don't need.

J

Simon E replied to jameshay | 8 years ago
0 likes
jameshay wrote:

I suppose the question is do really I need a long sleeve jersey or is the short sleeve with arm warmers sufficient? (already have a pair of arm warmers).

Difficult to answer definitively, partly because we all vary in how we tolerate cold(er) air but also because a few degrees difference or the strength of the wind in those first few miles can make a noticeable difference to what is required.

For me it would be armwarmers & a gilet over normal jersey until it gets really quite cool. That's because I'd rather be a bit cold for 2 miles than too hot after 10. A gilet can fit in your jersey pocket. Before I owned a gilet I put a carrier bag flat against my chest inside my jersey for the first few miles. Not ideal but better than nothing on a cool morning.

Iamnot Wiggins | 8 years ago
0 likes

Until it gets proper cold, I always get on well with my Rapha long sleeve jersey with a gilet over the top. Just add or subtract layers underneath to suit.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Gabba2, I've the long sleeve version and wore it almost exclusively from October through to about March. When it got properly cold I teamed it up with a base layer and a Castelli "head thingy".

My hands are the things that really suffers as the temperature dips. I've got normal fingerless mitts for the summer, and some sealskinz gauntlets for the winter - I ended up trying about 3 different winter gloves before trying the sealskinz, highly recommend them.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

BTW- Evans has the Gabba 2 short sleeve on at £95 if you are that way inclined.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/gabba-2-short-sleeve-wind-r...

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think the Sportful Fiandre Light Windstopper Jacket is superb

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-fiandre-light-windstopper-jacket/

It is called a jacket, but it is very breatheable and light. Not fully waterproof, but stands up to heavy showers, just not prolonged rain.

It was my default kit last winter. With a light base layer it is fine for anything below 10/12 degrees. With warm bib tights, headband and a roll neck merino base layer I was wearing it down to freezing.

Unless the forecast is for heavy rain, you don't need to worry about any other waterproofing.

Brilliant bit of kit.

DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Gabba, it's in my bike top 5, up there with new wheels etc.
That jersey with arm warmers will do right you down to freezing with a bit of merino.
I rode with it in a S.Spanish Winter with temps up to 18 deg c and it's fine. Gets a bit sweaty after that especially over here if there's humidity.
It's worth every penny and lasts..

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gabba's paired with a pair of arm warmers are great and will cover you for most conditions apart from the very cold.

As an alternative, you could try the sportful bodyfit jacket. Similar material to the gabba, but a bit thicker, paired with a long sleeve base layer works well right through the worst of winter. Its got a good degree of water repellency too, possibly better than the gabba, but breathable to stop you building up too much sweat.

The gabba is a little more versatile in that you can ride with it in warmer weather.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sportful-bodyfit-pro-windstopper-jack...

Latest Comments