Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"There was an error syncing with Garmin Connect "

Not sure what has happened, but cannot upload rides from my 305 to Garmin or Strava.

Garmin Express tells me the 305 has the latest software and that it has synced "just now" but there are at least 3 rides today and yesterday that I cannot see on Garmin or Strava.

Sometimes when I plug it back in again I get a message saying "There was an error syncing with Garmin Express" but no more than that.

Trying to get on to Garmin Support is just impossible. There are so many menus and sub menus you lose patience before you find anything helpful.

I did try Windows 10 for 24 hours but uninstalled it as it messed a lot of stuff up.

If I try to upload through Garmin Connect it takes me to a page to download Garmin Express which I have already got.

I have just uninstalled and reinstalled Garmin Express, with no change.

Should I be able to see the Forerunner when it is plugged in? I can't browse to the Forerunner or my Fit files.

Two days ago, I would just switch on, connect the 305, put the kettle on and when I came back it was all uploaded. I'm going spare!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

UncleHewie | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well, I finally cracked it... I had the infamous "error synching" message. Searched online and tried every fix I could find - manually imported all the activities and deleted them off the device. Deleted all the courses. Reinstalled the software. Unregistered the device then added it back in again. Still no joy...

Finally solved it myself by monitoring low level system activity.

Went to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Devices\DeviceID\Sync

There are two xml files in there called CompletedUpdatesxxx  but one of them was blank. The other one had a list of uploaded files with <string>/</string> around them. I deleted those lines then copied what was left into the blank file. Saved them both and tried synching again and it succeeded.

Has continued synching properly since.

Hope this helps!

stem | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm getting syncs completing but rides not uploading as well. I've deleted and reinstalled the app and bluetooth pairing, and deleted all old rides off the device but no joy. My life is ruined!  20

hud69 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Possibly related - I upload via Bluetooth to Garmin Connect mobile app on an iPad. There was an update to the App around 7 Aug, and a further incremental update today. Since these the Sync doesn't work. It appears to be working, but completes far quicker than usual and the ride doesn't appear in Connect. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

My friends follow a variety of hobbies and activities. One is a wood turner and produces wonderful, high-quality artefacts which sell as soon as he finishes them. Another welds, build and sells car trailers in his workshop. Yet another is an amateur landscape photographer with a long list of published work. I am a cyclist.

Guess who is the only one who might moan that his pastime is disrupted by an inability to get two electronic gadgets to successfully link. Are we losing the plot somewhere?

Man of Lard | 8 years ago
0 likes

Most likely there was a corrupted activity file on there and the removal of the cruft eliminated the corrupted file allowing it to sync.

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bloody thing's come back to life! :rolleyes::eek::confused: Don't know what I did in the end. I cleared every ride down off the unit. I then fired up Garmin Training Center for the first time in 2 years and it told me there were un-downloaded rides on the unit, would I like to dl them? I did that but then couldn't see any files after 2013. I then uninstalled Garmin Express, left it overnight.
Went for a fantastic ride off road on the Downs yesterday, used the Garmin as normal, and plugged in when I got home. Garmin Traning Center showed the ride and I then reinstalled Garmin Express and bingo, files uploaded. If it had got wet, maybe the water had dried out (yesterday was bloody hot) or maybe clearing down all the files fixed it.

AWP | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried Garmin Support? I had a few issues with an Edge 1000 and they were really helpful.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

I only use my Gar(bage)min as a speedo and distance thing. It's monumentally useless as a sat nav, and I've never been able to get a route synced with anything, without a whole load of hassle. I use my phone with google maps for nav, and Strava, for route plotting etc.

johndonnelly | 8 years ago
0 likes

This is a strong contender for the least helpful error message ever, mainly for being so misleading.

Don't know that this will be exactly the same for yours, but for my 800. Selected the device on the home screen of the Garmin Express App. Select the 'Tools' button on the device page. Choose the 'Garmin Connect' tab, and finally choose 'Change Account' to just log in.

Hardly the most helpful interface either, but apparently this is an improvement on the old site. I tend to disagree.

Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes

That's unfortunate, it might me safer just to delete the history, of course any rides not uploaded will be lost.

Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes

What worked for me with an Edge not showing up was to open my libraries folder, then the device showed up. When the device was showing but not syncing doing a disc check identified a corrupt file which I deleted and now it's working for the first time in ages.

pruaga replied to Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes
Anthony.C wrote:

When the device was showing but not syncing doing a disc check identified a corrupt file which I deleted and now it's working for the first time in ages.

I had problems with an edge 510 recently and windows tried to fix a corrupt file. This ended up completely bricking the unit and i had to get it replaced by garmin under warranty.

Daveyraveygravey replied to Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes
Anthony.C wrote:

What worked for me with an Edge not showing up was to open my libraries folder, then the device showed up. When the device was showing but not syncing doing a disc check identified a corrupt file which I deleted and now it's working for the first time in ages.

I've tried everything else, may as well try this! How do I do this?

jdryan86@ymail.com | 8 years ago
0 likes

As per KWI I had issues auto loading my rides. I deleted historic rides off my Garmin device and the auto sync started working again. Maybe worth a shot to delete some older data off your Garmin to see if this works.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try it on another pc, it should see the drive once drivers have installed. You don't need garmin software to look at the drive just drivers. That will tell you if the garmin is working

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Make sure all your old activities are deleted off the 305, express should do this for you but doesn't always. Had a similar issue on my 705 and this fixed it. (Though I had to convert an historic ride into a course and then back into an activity to get it uploaded.)

Daveyraveygravey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've deleted it from garmin Express several times, no luck.

I've uninstalled Garmin Express and reinstalled it, no luck.

I tried a different USB port ( a usb 2.0 one if that matters?!) and it did some driver searching and said it was installing them but then it failed. Is this a clue?

I can see something in Devices and Printers, it says Garmin USB GPS, but this is working normally (allegedly). I can't browse into this though, don't know if it is a device, file or what.

I've just tried it on a different computer, had to do the whole process. Still getting the error message!

Podc | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had this with a 205. I solved it by deleting the device from Garmin Express and then adding it back as a new device. Hope you get it sorted.

Marauder | 8 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like you might need to re-install Garmin Express.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

You should be able to see the drive in my computer and access it to see files. If you cannot see the drive then try a different usb socket. If that doesn't work try another pc just to check.

Latest Comments