Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Replace Triban 3 brakes with 105?

I have a Triban 3. The front brake is broken and needs replacing. Can I do a straight swap of it for Shimano 105? the Triban has the Shimano 2200 shifters, off the top of my head. Just unscrew the old brake and attach the new one?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

the_mth | 8 years ago
0 likes

I checked the drop on my current brakes. It's 49mm. So the 105s should fit ok.

The pull ratio then is the issue. If I understand correctly different levers pull different amounts of cable and brakes are set to work by these differing amounts. When pairing a 105 brake with a 2200 shifter the set up will work at or better than the standard set up I've got but may not perform at the optimum given the pull ratios are different. The brakes may also feel different or require different handling than currently, pull harder/softer etc.

Does that sound about right?

d10brp replied to the_mth | 8 years ago
0 likes
the_mth wrote:

...When pairing a 105 brake with a 2200 shifter the set up will work at or better than the standard set up I've got but may not perform at the optimum given the pull ratios are different. The brakes may also feel different or require different handling than currently, pull harder/softer etc.

Does that sound about right?

I think so, that's been my experience anyway.

cjchallis85 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I replaced the brakes calipers on my old Triban 3, when it got to the point that I couldn't stop at junctions at the bottom of hills anymore. I opted for Campagnolo Veloce. These did improve the braking performance, i.e. I could stop. However, the limiting factor is also the lever, as it doesn't generate enough force to really support decent calipers. I therefore decided 105s would be a waste of money, but the Veloce would be a nice half-way between standard & 105s.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-veloce-10-speed-dual-pivot-brake-cali...

d10brp | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think the 105 brakes are designed to work with a shorter pull and so are only supposed to be used with 105 (or better) levers which are designed for a shorter pull.

Still, when my rear brake seized up on my tiagra equipped secteur I installed a 105 caliper and it works fine, not anywhere near as well as the 105 brakes on my 105 equipped CR1 pro, but fine.

the_mth | 8 years ago
0 likes

My Triban just about took Crud roadracers. I ended up taking them off as they rubbed a lot. I dont think there'd be room for proper mudguards.

I'll measure the drop later and report back.

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

As I recall, the Triban 3 has clearance for mudguards, so you'll need longer drop brakes than standard 105s. Sheldon Brown has images showing how to measure the brake clearance you need if you're unsure. If you want to stick with Shimano, go for 451 or 651 brakes. Ribble have them both at a good enough price that you may as well do front and rear in the same job.

To replace the front brake you'll need to undo the captive nut behind the fork. As I recall it uses a 5mm Allen key. Stick the key in the back and undo the nut. Pull the brake out of the front and then use the Allen key to post the nut out of the back o the fork.

Mrmiik | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes. You can put any brakes on there. I've heard ultegra are super good. But I'm a campy/ SRAM rider.

Latest Comments