Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro stage 18

Hoping it's the day a mountain break stays away as it's not a summit finish so got Intxausti and Betancur. Thought about Pirazzi but he's had no luck so far so I haven't bothered in the end. Wasted some transfers taking Intxausti out then back in again but still got 13 left so I can go back to a pure GC team for the next two then have some transfers for the last day. I may end up not using all my transfers!! Anyone want to buy them?

ALBERTO CONTADOR (TSB)
MIKEL LANDA (AST)
FABIO ARU (AST)
DAMIANO CARUSO (BMC)
RYDER HESJEDAL (TCG)
CARLOS ALBERTO BETANCUR (ALM)
ANDREY AMADOR (MOV)
BENAT INTXAUSTI (MOV)
STEVEN KRUIJSWIJK (TLJ)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

Dux89 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Put Visconti in today and he was close to making the break, but no cigar. I hope I don't rue that decision with my transfers running out and Beñat Intxausti KOM points on the horizon.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Surely this checking for motors is not because they seriously suspect this is going on ??

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-checks-bikes-of-contador-hesjedal-an...

_Kasper | 8 years ago
0 likes

Whew. Glad i kept Gilbert. My italian purist is not going too well though, i am down to only Rosa and Formolo -.-

Philip Unwin | 8 years ago
0 likes

1 GILBERT Philippe BEL BMC 4:04:14 0:00
2 BONGIORNO Francesco Manuel ITA BAR 4:05:01 0:47
3 CHAVANEL Sylvain FRA IAM 4:05:15 1:01
4 BUSATO Matteo ITA STH 4:05:15 1:01
5 MOINARD Amael FRA BMC 4:05:15 1:01
6 DE LA CRUZ MELGAREJO David ESP EQS 4:05:15 1:01
7 NOCENTINI Rinaldo ITA ALM 4:05:15 1:01
8 SIUTSOU Kanstantsin BLR SKY 4:05:15 1:01
9 HAGA Chad USA TGA 4:06:56 2:42
10 WEENING Pieter NED OGE 4:08:09 3:55
11 HESJEDAL Ryder CAN TCG 4:10:19 6:05
12 CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto ESP TCS 4:10:19 6:05
13 VILLELLA Davide ITA TCG 4:10:52 6:38
14 GENIEZ Alexandre FRA FDJ 4:11:32 7:18
15 KRUIJSWIJK Steven NED TLJ 4:11:32 7:18
16 CARUSO Damiano ITA BMC 4:11:32 7:18
17 KONIG Leopold CZE SKY 4:11:32 7:18
18 ZARDINI Edoardo ITA BAR 4:11:32 7:18
19 VISCONTI Giovanni ITA MOV 4:11:32 7:18
20 TROFIMOV Yury RUS KAT 4:11:32 7:18

1 CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto ESP TCS 72:23:09 0:00
2 LANDA MEANA Mikel ESP AST 72:28:24 5:15
3 ARU Fabio ITA AST 72:29:14 6:05
4 AMADOR Andrey CRC MOV 72:30:10 7:01
5 TROFIMOV Yury RUS KAT 72:32:49 9:40
6 KONIG Leopold CZE SKY 72:33:53 10:44
7 CARUSO Damiano ITA BMC 72:34:14 11:05
8 KRUIJSWIJK Steven NED TLJ 72:36:02 12:53
9 HESJEDAL Ryder CAN TCG 72:36:10 13:01
10 GENIEZ Alexandre FRA FDJ 72:37:10 14:01

Sniffer | 8 years ago
0 likes

I left out Gilbert from yesterdays team when I had him for a breakaway. Not got things right the last couple of days. Brought back Hesjedal though.

Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gilbert the favourite. Anyone got him. Probably quite a few had him yesterday and kept him in. Hesjedal doing well again.

0 likes

Well, just got back and found out Landa is way back. Was it a mechanical? Contador just too strong?

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo replied to backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

cheers backflip !!

and Landa got caught in a crash and Contador decided to take 'revenge' in a way that makes sense with what is to come and his lead.

This is very much LA effort ...

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

As Eurosport seem more bothered with tennis, anywhere else I can watch it ?

0 likes

Gap now 12' 30''

TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was stingy with transfers too early on. Think its left me behind the 8 ball but got back into the top 100 now and have 6 transfers left.

Not sure on my team today
Contador
Landa
Aru
Amador
Intauxsti
Trofimov
Hesjedal
Betancur

0 likes

Anybody on twitter, tweet eurosport. this happens every year on the third week of the giro. Bloody hate tennis.

0 likes

Beat you by a fraction Phil. I'll leave it to you now as I'm going to pick up my wife's bike, which needed a new rear wheel, and hoping the cycling is on when I get back!

Cunego and Pineau have abandoned.

0 likes

Break

Philippe Gilbert (BMC), Amael Moinard (BMC), Chad Haga (Giant Alpecin), Davide Villella (Cannondale Garmin), Matteo Busato (SouthEast), Pieter Weening (Orica GreenEdge), Sylvain Chavanel (IAM), David De La Cruz (Etixx - Quick Step), Francesco Manuel Bongiorno (Bardiani CSF), Rinaldo Nocentini (AG2r La Mondiale), Maxim Belkov (Katusha) and Kantastsin Siutsou (Team Sky)
Roberto Ferrari (Lampre Merida), Jesus Herrada (Movistar) and Fabio Felline (Trek)
6.30 lead

0 likes

Break is

Philippe Gilbert (BMC)
Amael Moinard (BMC)
Chad Haga (Giant Alpecin)
Davide Villella (Cannondale Garmin)
Matteo Busato (SouthEast)
Pieter Weening (Orica GreenEdge)
Damiano Cunego (Nippo Fantini)
Roberto Ferrari (Lampre - Merida)
Sylvain Chavanel (IAM)
David De La Cruz (Etixx - Quick Step)
Francesco Manuel Bongiorno (Bardiani CSF)
Rinaldo Nocentini (AG2r La Mondiale)
Maxim Belkov (Katusha)
Kantastsin Siutsou (Team Sky)

Minus Cunego and Ferrari who both fell. Two chasing, Herrada and Felline.

0 likes

Stage hunting is all most people can do after the first week!! Been in top 10 of a stage three times but haven't cracked top spot yet.

I think the number of transfers is ok; the number of points to choose a team seems a bit large but a lot of riders who've done well were cheap as they don't normally do anything. It's easy to have all the riders you want, which is a little boring, but the stages themselves have been generally good, in spite of the winner being more or less obvious from the start. Stage 16 was a cracker. I'm glad this week is half-term!

Landa still in with a very outside chance of causing an upset now he's free to attack earlier. He certainly has the power/weight ratio in his favour!

enrique replied to Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

... the number of points to choose a team seems a bit large... It's easy to have all the riders you want, which is a little boring, but the stages themselves have been generally good, in spite of the winner being more or less obvious from the start...

i've loved it! I think you're right that it's too easy to have all the riders you want, but i put the blame on Uran and Porte, not the budget!  1

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

No transfers today! I've still got 12 transfers left, but only becaase I've ignored a lot of the stages in order to stage hunt a few!

Still miss the penalty transfers as it gave you the option to compete. Just have to be a lot more strict now, which takes the fun out a bit!

Who knows!  39

_Kasper replied to backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

No transfers today! I've still got 12 transfers left, but only becaase I've ignored a lot of the stages in order to stage hunt a few!

Just wondered. How did this tactic pan out? Hunting succesful?  4

backflipbedlem replied to _Kasper | 8 years ago
0 likes
_Kasper wrote:
backflipbedlem wrote:

Highest was 10th on yesterdays stage, but knew not having Haussler in 4th would cost me. Allans had more success

Alan Tullett replied to backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:
_Kasper wrote:
backflipbedlem wrote:

Highest was 10th on yesterdays stage, but knew not having Haussler in 4th would cost me. Allans had more success

By a whisker but haven't got anyone in the break today and it will probably stay away. Gilbert must be a good shout if he can stay with the climbers, otherwise Weening maybe. Damn the tennis!

chrisdstripes | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've found it fine Steve, 6 transfers left. Was very stingy with transfers in week one, and surged up the table in week 2! I actually prefer it when there's a limit, although maybe 50 for a Grand Tour would give you slightly more flexibility for those fun breakaway picks in the third week... It has taken a bit of getting used to tho' - Paris-Nice was a nightmare, I think I used all my transfers in the first four days!

stevemarks | 8 years ago
0 likes

No transfers left:(

Feel pretty stupid, as in retrospect I wasted so many early on.

Live and learn eh

My team for the rest of the Giro

Alberto Contador (TSB)
Steven Kruijswijk (TLJ)
Carlos Alberto Betancur (ALM)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Vasil Kiryienka (SKY)
Benat Intxausti (MOV)
Yury Trofimov (KAT)
Mikel Landa (AST)
Rigoberto Uran (EQS)

I was thinking about this and if you took no penalty transfers last year you would have had 44 anyway, so its a big change only having 45 this year with no penalties available. I hadn't quite grasped that.

Its a shame because it rather spoils the last week when things are exciting.

Everyone seems to have most of the top eight on the gc in their teams now and thats about it, maybe that's because they will be the best scorers, but if there were another TT or sprint stage it would really spoil the competition.

What are other peoples experiences. Do you feel that there are too few transfers now? Or maybe too may?

Good luck everyone.

chrisdstripes | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can I use my 20 spare credits to buy your transfers Alan?!

I've taken a bit of a chance 'cos its more fun that way - could plummet down the standings but you never know! If the guy I'm planning on bringing in tomorrow gets in the break today and stays away I'll be gutted...

Contador/Aru/Landa
Betancur/Intxausti/Kruiswijk
Hesjedal/Pirazzi/Pellizotti

_Kasper | 8 years ago
0 likes

Almost same as yesterday. Hoping for Visconti on this one.

ILNUR ZAKARIN (KAT)
PHILIPPE GILBERT (BMC)
ALBERTO CONTADOR (TSB)
STEVEN KRUIJSWIJK (TLJ)
GIOVANNI VISCONTI (MOV)
LEOPOLD KONIG (SKY)
RYDER HESJEDAL (TCG)
FABIO FELLINE (TFR)
MIKEL LANDA (AST)

Latest Comments