Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Reflectors

Someone shouted "oi where's your reflectors" at me out of a car passenger window this morning. It did make me jump and wobble a bit so I did responsd with a 2 finger salute, perhaps that is not advised...

So I decided to check the law and as I thought it is illegal to ride after dark without front, rear and pedal reflectors even if you have the best light in the world. Rarely enforced but in the case of an accident it could be an issue.

Anyone ever been pulled by the police for this?

Personally I am not putting them back on that is for sure.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

wycombewheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

how early were you out? sunrise is about 4:45 at the moment, and reflectors and lights are only required between sunset and sunrise

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Friends that work in the Police say they prefer a flashing rear light to none.

I guess in a court the small print counts if you're claiming or being claimed against.

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just regarding the matter of pedals, it's worth remembering that we have thousands of antiquated laws waiting to be repealed or updated by Parliament, and the Police manage the problem using the very simple and effective system of ignoring them!

Amongst the most famous examples, was the requirement for taxi drivers to carry a bail of hay in their boot, still law until 1976.

The Police are more interested in the spirit of that law which is visibility. Even during Operation Safeway, I don't think anyone was ever warned about their pedals.

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

How the heck do we fit Amber reflectors on road pedals?

hsiaolc | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have speedplay pedals. I am concerned because I don't think they have reflectors for their pedals!!!

Please advise.

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can't imagine anyone ever gets gripped for having no reflectors unless there's a whole litany of things they were already doing wrong to garner attention.

Comrade | 8 years ago
0 likes

I got some amber reflectors for my 540 pedals, work just fine.

AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looking at Boris Johnson I'm sure he doesn't ride after dusk then...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/UbEYtk2TXVP/Boris+Johnson+on+His+Bike/lLZ...

Just need to find a picture of Andrew Mitchell's bike now, the police at Downing St might have missed a trick there!

bikebot replied to AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes
AJ101 wrote:

Looking at Boris Johnson I'm sure he doesn't ride after dusk then...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/UbEYtk2TXVP/Boris+Johnson+on+His+Bike/lLZ...

Just need to find a picture of Andrew Mitchell's bike now, the police at Downing St might have missed a trick there!

That's legal to the letter of the law. I bike must have rear reflector at all times, pedal reflectors at night, and he has those. It needs a front reflector and wheel reflectors when sold, but you can take them off yourself and ride it without them.

The requirement to fit a bell at point of sale was also removed a few years ago, by one Eric Pickles no less!

OldRidgeback | 8 years ago
0 likes

Note that LED lights do not meet BS standards.

oldstrath replied to OldRidgeback | 8 years ago
0 likes

They can certainly meet German standards, which are generally held to be adequate for the purpose.

mrmo replied to OldRidgeback | 8 years ago
0 likes
OldRidgeback wrote:

Note that LED lights do not meet BS standards.

Can't be arsed to find the specific bit in the RVLR, basically an LED that has a flashing and a steady mode is treated as steady and as such must comply with standards, a flashing only light only needs to be bright!

Problem with the RVLR is no one seems to have read them as one document in a while, you have the original that makes sense, you have an amendment that makes some sense, but then the amendment has been amended, and that to has been amended...

In all these amendments, huge holes have opened up, and some very stupid clauses created.

That the UK is a tiny market and no one bothers with the BS standards doesn't help. I think Cateye were about the last manufacturer to bother but I think they have given up now.

And a random anti UKIP point, currently the law allows other European standards that are regarded as comparable, in fact in most areas Euro-Norms, CE marking etc, are ways of harmonising across the market, quite what the plan going forward would be???

atgni | 8 years ago
0 likes

Highway code 60
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

The MUST means it's Law and the Law is listed at the bottom.

Don't quite see how the pedal reflector bit works though, as my road bike came without pedals! Fairly sure the back of my shoes are reflective anyway.

I do think you'd have to be pretty rude to a copper to actually get pulled for no pedal reflectors  3

mrmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

The law is a mess, you need Amber reflectors on PEDALS, not on shoes, they must also comply with some relevant BS standard (or Euro equivalent). You must also have a rear reflector that meets the relevant standard. (or equivalent)

Now find a set of modern pedals that can take reflectors!

giff77 replied to mrmo | 8 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

The law is a mess, you need Amber reflectors on PEDALS, not on shoes, they must also comply with some relevant BS standard (or Euro equivalent). You must also have a rear reflector that meets the relevant standard. (or equivalent)

Now find a set of modern pedals that can take reflectors!

Shimano have reflectors that clip into SPD's. theyre pretty good. I use them on my commuter and have no issue with them.

I've found in general that the polis pretty much leave you alone if you have reflective ankle cuffs or reflective heels as they show the motion still. As well as my rear reflector I have red reflective tape on the seat stays and mud guards which work colleagues have informed me is pretty impressive when they've passed me on way into work. I think the real issue will be that insurers will reduce a claim by slamming contributory negligence if a cyclist is caught up in a collision from the rear. Even with presumed liability in place. Lack of reflectors in hours of darkness will be the get out clause.

While some prefer clean lines' on their m/c. I think that the good bike should be consigned to daylight riding. If you are going to be in the dark at all then best have the appropriate lights and reflectors.

mrmo replied to giff77 | 8 years ago
0 likes
giff77 wrote:

Shimano have reflectors that clip into SPD's. theyre pretty good. I use them on my commuter and have no issue with them.

I've found in general that the polis pretty much leave you alone if you have reflective ankle cuffs or reflective heels as they show the motion still. As well as my rear reflector I have red reflective tape on the seat stays and mud guards which work colleagues have informed me is pretty impressive when they've passed me on way into work. I think the real issue will be that insurers will reduce a claim by slamming contributory negligence if a cyclist is caught up in a collision from the rear. Even with presumed liability in place. Lack of reflectors in hours of darkness will be the get out clause. .

Don't really think there is an issue, and yes Shimano are pretty good, they do reflectors for spuds and at least some spd-sl pedals. Mind, i have no idea and have seen nothing either way, on whether they meet BS or equivalent standards. Which if you are going to argue contributory, means they could be worthless.

jacknorell | 8 years ago
0 likes

Actual law.

This has been discussed on the web quite a few times.

AJ101 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is that Law law or Highway Code law?

I know its the law for bikes to be sold with reflectors and a bell but in a lot of people's minds it's a bit vague if you have to keep them on or not. Especially when the pedal reflectors are often bits of plastic clipped to one side of the SPDs

Latest Comments