Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

duraace front derailleur adjustment

My duraace triple front derailleur is working ok but...
I feel the tension on the cable is too great, could I have something set wrong? The reason I feel this is that the tension on the STI lever to change to the large chainring is quite hard. Also when I change down the derailleur really flies inwards. If I have the chain any lower than the middle of the rear cassette when I change down at the front, the chain zips straight onto the small chain ring at the front, missing the middle chainring.
I'd been thinking this was manageable until during a cleanup noticed that the cable was beginning to fray at the clamp on the front derailleur. It's as if the spring on the front derailleur is too powerful.
Grateful for any thoughts.
Richard

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Assuming you have enough movement on the barrel adjuster then yes, but if you haven't you may have to let a little cable out at the clamp of the deraileur.

If you do have to adjust the cable at the mech, it sounds like it would be a good time to change the cable inner anyway. Make sure you put the barrel adjuster in the middle of its range in order to give you some up and down adjustment in the future if you do change the inner.

richardelliott replied to DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks and very much appreciated. Richard

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

It does sound like you have too much tension on the cable.

I tend to set the limit screw to allow the cage to move about 1 to 2mm further out than I plan on it needing to sit when in the big chain-ring, then adjust cable tension so that you still have a little movement on the lever when in the big ring.

richardelliott replied to DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks very much. I'll try that.

I have the limit screws set so that the cage can't go further than I'd ever want it to go in order to be sure not to lose the chain off the outside.

Presume you make this cable adjust't with the adjuster on the down tube/frame?

Richard

Latest Comments