Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

CAAD8 Claris: upgrade to 105+wheels or sell and buy new?

Hi I'm looking into upgrading my Claris groupset on my Cannondale CAAD8 to 105 but I will also need to upgrade the wheels. The group set seems to be about £300 and the new wheels are looking upwards of £200. Is it practical to upgrade my bike spending pretty much what I spent buying it originally or would I be better off buying a new 105 specced bike and selling my caad8 to help fund it? I enjoy the cycle on the caad8 but feel that I've been cycling long enough to upgrade on the groupset as I'm taking on more and longer distances and fancy the upgrade.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

macrophotofly | 9 years ago
0 likes

I did something similar with a 2005 Bianchi alu frame. New wheels, 25mm tyres and the new 105 groupset transformed the bike. Providing the bike fits you, its definitely worthwhile.

DrJDog | 9 years ago
0 likes

Agree with Topcat, by buying the cheaper bike, you end up with better BB and crankset options. Upgrade the wheels first. The ones that come on the Claris model weigh probably 3kg with tyres. You'll immediately enjoy the bike more.

Topcat | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a CAAD 8 105. If you buy a new 105 spec bike you will still need to upgrade the wheels as they have cheap hubs that don't last long. Also the claris frame does not have the press-fit BB30 system so you will be able to upgrade to a proper 105 groupset with a more reliable bottom bracket.

My original wheels only lasted one winter as the weather proofing is dire on the rear hub. I have upgraded to Ultegre WH-6800 wheels which are great and can be had for about £250.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

I was in a similiar position, allez with tiagra/sora.
I decided to 'upgrade' to planet x al30's....which were piles of shat.....  102
Recently moved up to 105 5800 and that's actually an upgrade, my bike rides differently and am in the process of upgrading even more.
I have spent more on upgrades than the bike cost when i bought it, admittedly secondhand.
So basically I would say to stick with what you've got and upgrade, CAAD frames are really good so stick with...its the legs that make the difference and I have beaten many people on bikes costing 10x more than mine.

Nixster | 9 years ago
0 likes

Supersix Evo with 105 can be had for £1,100 if you happen to be the right size. Would be a step up in frame and groupset (although the wheels not so much). I appreciate the budget keeps going up but if you can stretch to the extra it's probably better value overall than upgrading the CAAD 8.

Stef Marazzi | 9 years ago
0 likes

I had the very same dilemma, its a great frame so worth upgrading. My 2010 caad 8 has Sora. You do see Caad 8 105s new for £999 on Pauls Cycles though, so say you sell your Caad for £350, you need to find £650 more to buy a 105 one.
I personally just went for Campag Khamsin wheels from Halfords, Shimano 105 5800 callipers and new bar tape for £150 quid all in (But then I do have a fleet of bikes to maintain!). I'm planning on upgrading the chainset to 105 or Ultegra, but only once I've worn the current one out. Currently on just under 5000 miles on the bike.

Latest Comments